Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken!

I'm making chicken pesto pasta as we speak. Cook fun shaped pasta (I used mini farfalle). Make pesto (fresh basil, olive oil, walnuts, parmesan, garlic, salt, pepper). Dice cooked chicken. Mix all together. Put parmesan on top.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Meighan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chicken ideas:
Fajitas, Chicken parmesan (you can buy some frozen cooked squash and mix it into tomato sauce to trick the kids into getting some good veggies that way!), chicken salad for sandwiches or over greens, curried chicken with potatoes and peas, and my favorite chicken soup. Here's my recipe for chicken soup:

1 or 2 lbs (app 3 chicken breasts) thawed, trimmed, and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion or 3 large shallots fine diced
2 stalks of celery
handful of baby carrots
1 large yukon gold potato cut into 2 inch cubes (skin on or off, but I usually just leave it on)
2 TBS Herbs de Provence (if you don't have this, you may consider buying it--it's delicious on fish and chicken or you can alternatively just use 1 tbs of thyme, 1 tsp savory, 1tsb of rosemary and a pinch of lavender)
2 Tbs butter
1 Tbs kosher salt
2 Tsp cracked black pepper
1 Tbs olive oil
Chicken stock

In a large pot melt the butter together with the olive oil over med high heat. Toss in herbs and saute for 1 or 2 minutes. Put in salt, pepper, chicken and shallots or onions and cook until browned on outside (maybe 5 minutes). Throw in celery, carrots, and potatos and cook an additional 3 minutes. Cover the mixture with chicken broth--you should use enough to cover all ingredients plus about an inch or two. Cover pot, simmer for app 1 hour.

All these measurements are estimates, because I don't measure when I cook. They can be altered to your taste.

Also, this recipe freezes amazingly well, just put into individual portions.
Enjoy!
Meighan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chicken Stir-fry - I just cut chicken up in small chunks. Cook in oil while making rice. Then I use a cheapo bag of frozen stir-fry veggies. You could always make fresh though. Serve with butter and wors. sauce.

Paula Deen's Chicken Georgia
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

"Moroccan Chicken"
Mix 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
put chicken breasts in baking dish and sprinkle spices over
Bake at 350 until done (about 45 min?)
Alternately you could do in a med-high skillet with a little water and oil and cover

While that's cooking I make up a batch of the Far East brand of couscous, pine nut flavor. I add chopped fresh or canned tomatoes, some wilted fresh spinach, chopped zucchini or broccoli, and top with parmesan cheese.

Tomato/Stuffing Chicken
My hubby got this meal idea from the canister of stove top stuffing and really liked it so I make it for him all the time.
Put chicken breasts in baking dish.
Top with pepper or your favorite seasoning blend (we like garlic and herb mrs. dash)
Top with crushed tomatoes (can or fresh, but they need to be "wet")
Sprinkle stove top or italian bread crumbs over the top.

Bake at 350 until done (this took about 50 minutes last night but I had some mutant chicken breasts)
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
browneyedgrl2411
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
chicken teriyaki!

half a cup of low sodium soya sauce
half a cup of brown sugar (not packed)
2 tablespoons of corn starch
1 tsp of ginger

bring to a gentle boil stirring almost constantly. It will start to thicken and then you pour it over about 6 chicken breasts in a casserole dish and flop them around until they are covered. Cook at 425 for about a half hour (stopping once to flip them around and baste them again). Serve with rice and steamed veggies. Soooo good! If you want to save yourself a hard dish to clean then line your casserole dish with tinfoil first.
This was soooo yummy. thanks for a great recipe! My boys fav "chicken on a stick" and now I can make it. So easy. Ty

Last edited by browneyedgrl2411; 07-15-2010 at 12:24 PM.
browneyedgrl2411 is offline   Reply With Quote