Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #101
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: For the Love of Reading Daily/Weekly Chat -NEW-Come on in!

Well sorry took so long to check in Sunday night I finished the first book in my Vampire book and it was good and I liked the different spin on the Vampire lore too (i got the series free on line so if you want it let me know) So now I have started the second book.

I think I am doing good with the goals this month

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #102
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yesterday was a really hectic day and today promises to be the same. Tons of housework on my to-do list. Ugh!

Yesterday I managed to get to the library for a bit. It was a thoroughly disappointing experience. The nice library near my house is closed on Mondays so I went to the one a couple miles away in the really not-so-nice area. The library was so loud with teenagers swearing and crowding around all the computers. They were rearranging the adult fiction section - so the only section I could find was M-S. I would have asked the librarian for help, but she was on her cellphone.... Anyway, I managed to dig through the piles of books waiting to be put away on the multiple carts and scored 'The Child Thief' by Brom and a book of Amigurumi patterns.

I read about three chapters of Emma last night and am nearly done.

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #103
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going to the library in a little bit any suggestions for a quick read?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #104
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What's your favorite genre?

Life is good.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #105
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, one of my faves that is a really quick read is Chocolat by Joanne Harris.

Life is good.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM   #106
maman08
Registered Users
seller

I love the idea of this thread! Reading is my #1 obsession (followed closely by knitting/crochet ). With a nb and a toddler, I don't have as much time to read as I used to, but I squeeze it in whenever I can. Since we're in the middle of an international move and will be in temporary quarters/staying with relatives for the next month and a half, I'm going to hold off on setting any concrete goals for now, but I'm happy to join in discussion whenever I can get online!

Right now I'm about 25% of the way through reading Drood by Dan Simmons, which is great so far. I just finished First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde (book 5 in the Thursday Next series, which I !). Before that I was re-reading The Twentieth Wife (SO GOOD if you like historical fiction). Before that, I read the Steig Larsson trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/The Girl Who Played with Fire/The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED the Steig Larsson books, even though mystery novels are not usually my favorite genre.

Do you mamas have books that you like to read over and over? Every summer I re-read Prodigal Summer, Beach Music, and The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (apparently my southern roots come out in the summer! ). I love to re-read my favorites, I've read The Historian three times in the past 4 years and The Thorn Birds 3 or 4 times (plus the Twilight series at least 3 times, and the Sookie Stackhouse novels twice! ). I often pick up something I've already read when I want to be able to just zone out, it's more relaxing to me than watching TV!

maman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #107
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got in a good 20 pages at my sugar test this morning.

for those that like historical romances on of the sites Ibuy ebooks from has a free giveaway....only thing you will need it make sure you have the program to read it (it's free adboe digital)

Anyways here is the link http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=675140 don't know how long it's there free but I had to share.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #108
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reithegenki View Post
Yesterday was a really hectic day and today promises to be the same. Tons of housework on my to-do list. Ugh!

Yesterday I managed to get to the library for a bit. It was a thoroughly disappointing experience. The nice library near my house is closed on Mondays so I went to the one a couple miles away in the really not-so-nice area. The library was so loud with teenagers swearing and crowding around all the computers. They were rearranging the adult fiction section - so the only section I could find was M-S. I would have asked the librarian for help, but she was on her cellphone.... Anyway, I managed to dig through the piles of books waiting to be put away on the multiple carts and scored 'The Child Thief' by Brom and a book of Amigurumi patterns.

I read about three chapters of Emma last night and am nearly done.
I desperately want to read The Child Thief, let me know how you like it.

Yesterday was pretty much a no go for reading for me. Monday night after being in bed for nearly an hour Kearnan came out and announced "My braces came off." Sure enough the back bracket holding half of his lower palatial divider in had come off. Luckily it is in two pieces so I was able to remove that part but I had to get him in for an emergency appt with the orthodontist Tuesday. Something 6 Day Dental failed to mention to me when we were discussing him going to ortho was that while they have 5 offices in the metroplex they only have 1 ortho staph who then travels to all of those offices. So we had to go to a different office. Which would have been fine except yahoo maps couldn't find it and gave us directions to the emergency animal hospital I used to take my Sugar Gliders to. They didn't know where 6 Day might be so we wound up driving around for an hour and a half to find the darn place. Wound up missing lunch but dh did take us all out to TGIF to make up for it. Still, left me with no time to read and rushing all evening trying to get the rest of my chores done. I'm still behind. Luckily Kearnan and I got his school work done before we left the house.

Goal 1 I have now completed Ai No Kusabi vol 2, 3, & 4 for a combined total of 505 pages in a little over a week. Not bad but less than usual for me. Volume 4 was really good/fast reading until the end, they it got a bit over descriptive and I got bored. I felt like I really had to fight for the last 20 pages. Hopefully Volume 5 and 6 will be faster reads. Overall I am liking the series but I am ready for it to be over. Not encouraging. It may just be that I am not in the mood for this type of novel right now, or it could just be that it is Sci-fi vs horror/fantasy. I am not sure what I will pick up next.

On goal 2 we are 3/4 of the way through Howliday Inn. We got some good reading in last night since we had an early dinner so the boys didn't have to eat after Taekwondo and push so close to bed time. We played a bit and then read a bit and everyone was happy.

Goal 3, we have almost finished our construction reading. We did dump trucks yesterday. I think I may call my parents neighbor and see if he will take us to visit his shop. He is sort of like my second father and I worked for a year with him as a large equipment mechanic. I think it would be a lot of fun for Kearnan to get to see the equipment he has been reading about. Plus I miss all the equipment, it's so cool.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #109
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started out strong this month but the last 2 weeks have sucked! I ditched the zombie book to start something new, but I'm not getting into the Constant Princess yet either so I"m only reading a couple pages at atime and then going to sleep. Upside is I've read more to the kiddos lately. I've started reading some longer stories to DD, like Bartholomew and the Oobleck and Horton Hears a Who (I was getting tired of the same Dora book for 2 months straight!). DS is getting more interested in books too and I've been able to move to books longer that 4 pages with him

I'm kinda craving a thriller right now... any good recommendations?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #110
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maman08 View Post

Do you mamas have books that you like to read over and over? Every summer I re-read Prodigal Summer, Beach Music, and The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (apparently my southern roots come out in the summer! ). I love to re-read my favorites, I've read The Historian three times in the past 4 years and The Thorn Birds 3 or 4 times (plus the Twilight series at least 3 times, and the Sookie Stackhouse novels twice! ). I often pick up something I've already read when I want to be able to just zone out, it's more relaxing to me than watching TV!
OH man I am ALL about re-reading I have read the Harry Potter series about 4x, some of the books more than that. I can't even count how many times Ive read the Narnia series. ANother one I love is called "The Juniper Game" it was just a random book I found in elementary school at a book fair, but I still have it and have re-read it a number of times. I don't have schedule, like every summer I read such and such books though... but a couple books live on my bedside table so I can I grab them whenever the desire to read strikes, but I don't have a new book on the go!