Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #111
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the Love of Reading Daily/Weekly Chat -NEW-Come on in!

Well - so far I haven't made any more progress in Emma, but I have read around 2,000 pages in the past week, lol. Fanfiction. Ugh. It's my (beloved) weakness that frequently keeps me away from reading a real book. I have been reading a series or two by one author each of which are aprox. as long as two fantasy novels. I am almost done with the final one (about 60,000 pages to go - I'll be done by tomorrow) and then I am not allowing me to begin reading another fanfiction until I finish Emma, the Stepsister Scheme, and the Child Thief.

Advertisement

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #112
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maman08 View Post
I love the idea of this thread! Reading is my #1 obsession (followed closely by knitting/crochet ). With a nb and a toddler, I don't have as much time to read as I used to, but I squeeze it in whenever I can. Since we're in the middle of an international move and will be in temporary quarters/staying with relatives for the next month and a half, I'm going to hold off on setting any concrete goals for now, but I'm happy to join in discussion whenever I can get online!

Right now I'm about 25% of the way through reading Drood by Dan Simmons, which is great so far. I just finished First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde (book 5 in the Thursday Next series, which I !). Before that I was re-reading The Twentieth Wife (SO GOOD if you like historical fiction). Before that, I read the Steig Larsson trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/The Girl Who Played with Fire/The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVED the Steig Larsson books, even though mystery novels are not usually my favorite genre.

Do you mamas have books that you like to read over and over? Every summer I re-read Prodigal Summer, Beach Music, and The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (apparently my southern roots come out in the summer! ). I love to re-read my favorites, I've read The Historian three times in the past 4 years and The Thorn Birds 3 or 4 times (plus the Twilight series at least 3 times, and the Sookie Stackhouse novels twice! ). I often pick up something I've already read when I want to be able to just zone out, it's more relaxing to me than watching TV!
I'm loving all of these suggestions! I have Prodigal Summer but haven't read it yet. I'll have to bump it up on my reading list!

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #113
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reithegenki View Post
Well - so far I haven't made any more progress in Emma, but I have read around 2,000 pages in the past week, lol. Fanfiction. Ugh. It's my (beloved) weakness that frequently keeps me away from reading a real book. I have been reading a series or two by one author each of which are aprox. as long as two fantasy novels. I am almost done with the final one (about 60,000 pages to go - I'll be done by tomorrow) and then I am not allowing me to begin reading another fanfiction until I finish Emma, the Stepsister Scheme, and the Child Thief.
What kind of fanfiction are you reading, if you don't mind me asking? I read some doujinshi (about 300 pages of Togainu No Chi last night ) but haven't read much that wasn't comic style. I know there is tons out there, just haven't committed to it. Might have to for some of my favorite anime/manga though. It is real reading, as much as anything else I guess.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #114
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I'm on a trip this weekend so not much time for reading, but I did get in a few chapters when our flight was delayed. The Constant Princess is getting better now, I would have read more but dh forgot his book and was starving for attention so I had to put my book down and chat with him instead. Then I fell asleep on the plane, maybe I'll get to read more on the way home.

Anybody read Shutter Island? I saw the movie and it was fantastic, I didn't even know it was based on a book before watching it.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #115
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dbl post
Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #116
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_booger View Post
well I'm on a trip this weekend so not much time for reading, but I did get in a few chapters when our flight was delayed. The Constant Princess is getting better now, I would have read more but dh forgot his book and was starving for attention so I had to put my book down and chat with him instead. Then I fell asleep on the plane, maybe I'll get to read more on the way home.

Anybody read Shutter Island? I saw the movie and it was fantastic, I didn't even know it was based on a book before watching it.
I did read Shutter Island a month or two back and LOVED it! I haven't seen the movie, but am really looking forward to renting it sometime. I'm curious to know how close the movie/book are. It's a good read though!

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote