Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: For the Love of Reading Daily/Weekly Chat -NEW-Come on in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
Ooh, thank you for asking this! I just looked them up and I really want to read The Red Tree now! I've put it on my list!

Also, I haven't read Little Red and the Wolf, but I just discovered these remade fairy tale stories very recently through reviews and am waiting on a copy of Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon. So I might have to check into this Red Riding Hood one, too.
Cool I am going to check out the one you listed once I make a dent in my books LOL

let me know when you check out the red tree and we can talk about it LOL.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmofthree View Post
Yay! Now that I know the "rules" lol, I'm definitely in!! Reading is my #1 passion, (reality TV is #2! )

Right now I'm re-reading the third book of the Mortal Instruments series, I'm hoping to get it done in the next couple of days as I bought some new books over the weekend and am anxious to crack them open! Up next is either the Harry Potter series or the Darkest Powers series by Kelley Armstrong. I'll most likely go with the Darkest Powers series since it's not soo huge and intimidating!
OMG I love, love, love the Darkest Powers series. Actually I love all of Kelley Armstrong's books.

My personal goal is to start reading more than just "chick-lit". Even the classic novels I read tend to be "chick-lit" (e.g. Jane Austen). Right now I'm reading "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters". It's pretty cheesy, but not too bad.

My other "goal" is to go to the library more. I can't wait to get suggestions for other books.
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hello ladies!

i just finished a month-long re-read of Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's and Naamah's series, so i could read the latest release with everything in my mind. it's 8 books so far, each one pretty ginormous. but absolutely awesome!

last week i read Must Love Hellhounds - a paranormal fantasy anthology, and i just started re-reading one of my childhood favorites - Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. I'm about 1/2 way through Winds of Fate. It's really good, but I first read it almost 15 years ago so it's a very easy read and I tend to appreciate more subtle story-telling these days.

my goal is to read 10 books, or 2000 pages, a month. We'll see how it goes!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise820 View Post
Cool I am going to check out the one you listed once I make a dent in my books LOL

let me know when you check out the red tree and we can talk about it LOL.
Will do! If I'd seen this before our library trip yesterday morning, I would have picked it up. I just checked online and it's available, but I should probably get the other 3 read first that I just checked out. LOL

I went with TWO books in mind to check out and was determined to only get said books. I ended up with three books, plus two audiobooks...plus three more that I bought in their used book store. Books are like crack! I can't stay away from them! See, the last time I went to the library, I checked out 11 or so books/audiobooks and had to return a handful unread because I wasn't in the mood for them anymore. That severely bothers my OCD, so I've vowed to just go more often and check out less at a time.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Loving all the book recommendations! After I finish what I'm reading now I was planning on starting Twilight but now I'm thinking of just returning it to the library and checking out some of the ones suggested here I'm very intrigued by the fairy tale remakes!
I only borrowed Twilight because it's the 'in' thing and I was sick of hearing about it all the time and not knowing what was going on

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 07-13-2010 at 11:04 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 AM   #26
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
Loving all the book recommendations! After I finish what I'm reading now I was planning on starting Twilight but now I'm thinking of just returning it to the library and checking out some of the ones suggested here I'm very intrigued by the fairy tale remakes!
I only borrowed Twilight because it's the 'in' thing and I was sick of hearing about it all the time and not knowing what was going on
Hehe, I still haven't given in to the Twilight books. My neighbor has them and told me a couple of months ago I could borrow them and I haven't called her up yet to get them. Eventually I'll get to it.

The fairy tale ones are supposed to be a little twisted, from what I've heard. Kind of a different spin from the originals. I haven't read any yet, but I really really want to!

eta: Now if you want a really good vampire series, check out the Black Daggar Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. Super good!! (Book 1 is Dark Lover.)

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!

Last edited by Rainfall; 07-13-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #27
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
Hehe, I still haven't given in to the Twilight books. My neighbor has them and told me a couple of months ago I could borrow them and I haven't called her up yet to get them. Eventually I'll get to it.

The fairy tale ones are supposed to be a little twisted, from what I've heard. Kind of a different spin from the originals. I haven't read any yet, but I really really want to!

eta: Now if you want a really good vampire series, check out the Black Daggar Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. Super good!! (Book 1 is Dark Lover.)
I liked Twilight. I didn't like the rest of the series as much, but it was overall pretty good.

I totally didn't like the Black Dagger Brotherhood. They were a bit much for me. I think I liked the first one, but after that, not so much. Sunshine by Robin McKinley was really good. It isn't your typical vamp book, and it isn't a romance.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #28
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I liked Twilight. I didn't like the rest of the series as much, but it was overall pretty good.

I totally didn't like the Black Dagger Brotherhood. They were a bit much for me. I think I liked the first one, but after that, not so much. Sunshine by Robin McKinley was really good. It isn't your typical vamp book, and it isn't a romance.
oh i love Robin McKinley! haven't read this one, so I'll add it to my list!

(and i also really enjoyed the twilight series - i've actually read it 3 times! and i saw Eclipse this weekend.... yumm )
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #29
bethsflutterby
Just a sinner saved by grace.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

LOVED the Black Dagger brotherhood! BUT the last maybe 2 books I wasn't into much
David(11)Lolly(9)Maddy(7 on 8/25!)Yuyi(5.6) & Ana(4)

bethsflutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #30
deb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

HI ladies!! I think this is a great thread, and I am going to look up some of these series and add them to my wishlist on paperback swap.

I'm not setting a goal for myself, because I already try to squeeze reading in when I can, but between my two jobs and mommy duties, I sometimes don't get the time. Ok, I lie I usually squeeze in some reading before bed, but my sleep sometimes suffers. :lol:

I'm currently reading the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. It's good so far, I'm on the 3rd book, and I've had to force myself to put them down at times.

I'm also a HUGE Potter fan, I loved the Blackdagger Brotherhood series, the Sookie Stackhouse series, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, and I've read the Twilight series. I have many opinions on the Twilight series, most of them aren't good, so I will just leave that alone.

I mostly like books that are fantasy, paranormal, that sort of thing. Stories that really get me out of reality. After all, for me, that's what reading is all about