Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding WIC question

I don't see my case worker until next month but she briefly had told me that WIC offers quite a bit to breastfeeding mothers, like a bf counselor, breastpump rental and stuff. Is that true? I couldn't find anything searching the websites and I know how busy they are down there so I don't want to call and bother them, especially since my appointment is in 2 or 3 weeks. I just thought I'd ask if any mamas knew here

Advertisement

MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Re: Breastfeeding WIC question

yep. you also will get food for yourself to keep you healthy. theyll give you a pump as long as they have one. sometimes WIC will be all out of pumps because other moms will have already taken them all. If I recall correctly they will only help you out with breastfeeding up til your child is one, so if you plan on extended breastfeeding they wont help. that could just be MY area though, yours may be different.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My WIC office does. They have elec pumps and manual pumps. Elec pumps were for working mamas. There were only 15 elec ones though so it was first come first serve i guess. There was a $15 dep that i got back when i returned mine and there was a $15 fee for the supplies that comes with it. Also a BFing mama gets a food pkg as well.
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Very cool Thanks mamas!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

If I were you though I would call first.. my WIC Office was very surprised to learn that I was BF my son without supplementing .. and not pumping and mixing(? I guess with formula ) When I heard about pumps.. the only answer I got was.. we dont have any right now... I was like now like as in anymore? or just not right now I should check back? they were very un-informed when it came to the whole BF subject... and were constantly trying to convince me that I need to keep some formula at my home " just incase" ( i didnt.. cause im lazy and was scared that I would have wanted to use it ) but we are going 8.5m strong with no help from WIC.. they do offer , milk, juice, carrots, tuna fish, and someother things like eggs and cheese.. which I didnt not take them up on becuase I was hoping to get some real life ( not that I dont appreciate the help from all the online mama's ) breastfeeding support.. since NO ONE in my family has ever BF cept my DH grandmother.. and she'll help but she's like 85.. and some of her veiws ideas are a little outdated lol..

but sorry this got so long.. but I would just call.. incase you are hoping to get some great support/advice and your WIC office doesnt have the means/information to help you like you think you might need to be helped..
Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my area they give you a manual breastpump if you need one and if you are having difficulty breastfeeding becuase of whatever issues (non-work related issues...just pure breastfeeding difficulty) you can get a note from your doctor about your issues and WIC will rent a hospital grade one for you.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I know nothing about wic these days but I got horrible bf'ing advice from them when my other kids were young - I hope they're better now... any how - if you can't find the help you need from them.. there's always the LLL message boards!!!!
good luck!

Last edited by moonphishers; 02-23-2007 at 11:13 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I just emailed my insurance company because I'm not sure whether or not they cover a hospital one or not, I believe they do. I won't be needing it until August, but it's always nice to have one extra thing out of the way

I was really looking forward to the help, because our (now former) pedi could careless about breastfeeding and of course the consultants at the hospital were just so nasty they never helped me out when I was having problems with my DD. It'll be nice to actually have more than what's available online
Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
DayDreaminMama
Banned
seller

Have you contacted LLL they should have a local group of BF moms that meet and chat ,and possibly can have someone come to your home to help you if need be!they would know where you can get local supplies and stuff!
DayDreaminMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My WIC was great! I was given a manual pump (free) and I was rented (free) a double electric when dd had a bit of difficulty gaining weight. The counselor was really sweet and very helpful (she was also pregnant with twins at the time) and showed me everything and also gave me tons of books and pamplets with FAQ'S and tips.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote