Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
rosepartyof3
Registered Users
seller

7 yr old who has trouble falling asleep

Do any of you have any recommendations for a 7 year old girl who has trouble falling asleep? I hate to call it insomnia, but it may be. She's been through phases of this for the last 2 years and I'm just at my wits end. I don't think she can help it - she can't shut her brain off and go to sleep (although it would help if she would stay in her bed, but she can't lay there not sleeping). She is the oldest of 3 with one on the way and I'm exhausted from her keeping me up multiple nights in a row: 10:30, then midnight, then 2:30 then 4 AM this morning...and whatever time she goes to sleep, she could sleep 12-13 hours from that time which of course I can not let her do b/c it ruins the day for the rest of the family. Although I feel she needs the sleep, I can't let her sleep all day - I think it only proliferates the problem. We have a good bedtime routine and sleeping with a sibling or reading doesn't work...she's not afraid or having night terrors or anything...she just can't go to sleep! I'm looking into some new homeopathic remedies to help her sleep too, but would love to hear suggestions or similar experiences.

THANKS!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
amazonpixie81
Registered Users

Re: 7 yr old who has trouble falling asleep

How late is she allowed to watch television/play video games?
If she's having a hard time "shutting down" it could be from overstimulation. TV is very bad for overstimulation, it really shouldn't be watched within an hour or so of bed time, and definately not on while trying to go to sleep.

I'd continue to wake her up at the same time as the rest of the house. Her body wont regulate itself if she's always getting to sleep in or nap. It'll be a sucky day or two, but her body will set itself right.

You could try a melatonin suplement, but I personally don't agree with giving it to kids.
How about a cup of warm milk or camomile tea?
Mypoints
amazonpixie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
rosepartyof3
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for reading and replying...
She does not normally watch any TV within an hour of bedtime and never in bed (I don't believe TVs belong in any bedroom) and video games, if played, are never near bedtime. Usually, leading up to bedtime is dinner, downtime with siblings and/or mom/dad, bathtime, pajamas, brush teeth and then stories (sometimes she reads alone and now more often she is wanting to read to the other kids and mom/dad).

I have thought about melatonin as well and have actually tried 1/10 the dose a time or 2 and it does work but I'd prefer something else. Letting her stay up and read doesn't help because she would read all night.

Normally I do wake her at her regular time b/c she we have to get somewhere and the last 3 mornings I've woken her thinking she would be tired enough to sleep at bedtime and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Since this has now gone on 4 nights, I did let her sleep in a little today b/c she does need some sleep to function, but I did wake her rather than letting her wake on her own - she'd still be sleeping if that was the case

I'm at a loss and all my friends are trying to help me figure it out but haven't had the problem themselves.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazonpixie81 View Post
How late is she allowed to watch television/play video games?
If she's having a hard time "shutting down" it could be from overstimulation. TV is very bad for overstimulation, it really shouldn't be watched within an hour or so of bed time, and definately not on while trying to go to sleep.

I'd continue to wake her up at the same time as the rest of the house. Her body wont regulate itself if she's always getting to sleep in or nap. It'll be a sucky day or two, but her body will set itself right.

You could try a melatonin suplement, but I personally don't agree with giving it to kids.
How about a cup of warm milk or camomile tea?
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
amazonpixie81
Registered Users

Hm, maybe it could be a simple as a growth spurt (I know she's older, but big kids grow too) or even because its hot out.
Have you tried music?

Both my daughters hate to sleep..it never got quite this bad though :-/
My oldest was so hard to get a sleep routine established with. We ended up picking a time ( 9 or 10, we're night owls), making sure EVERYTHING was taken care of (water etc) and once she laid down in bed that was it...no comming out unless her butt was on fire and her head was catching lol.
Then it would go like this:
Tuck her in, hug, kiss, hug
"goodnight" (she'd say goodnight)
"I love you" (I love you too)
"Goodnight" (goodnight)
Then we'd shut her door and play the goodnight songs...those were "moon moon moon" by laurie berkner and "goodnight" also by laurie berkner....every night, for 3 years. If this didn't happen exactly in that order, it screwed her all up and she would not sleep.

For me when I was little I just needed this album:
Its all instrumental. Too this day if I hear it I get tired lol
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001PJ9/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20
Mypoints
amazonpixie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

for me as a kid, I had a really really hard time falling asleep. This sounds funny, but I would make believe about different things. But I would essentially talk myself to sleep because I was pretending that there was a community there with me, and I would talk to the people, it was like having an imaginary friend on a much bigger scale. I would eventually talk myself down and was able to shut down.

Now, if my 6 year old is having difficulty, I will lay on my back beside him and I will tell him stories, silly ones that I make up, or I tell him about his welcome into the world, etc. It really helps with the unwinding.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
stinkelein
Registered Users

My Mood:

A friends daughter was an insomniac from about age3 she is now 15 and she and mom work really hard to get her decent sleep... The Dr approved melatonin and it worked unless she had had certain foods during the day.... Not just caffeine (which I am Assuming your daughter does not have) and sugar, but preservatives and dyes and a few other random things... also bed room must be pitch black and just the right temp ... I have been recommended both chamomile and Valerian root to help me sleep... they seem to help me a lot
Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
rosepartyof3
Registered Users
seller

Amazonpixie81, yes, we do use music and it seems to help - have used sleep lullabies ever since she was a baby and she had always been a good sleeper. Maybe I'll go back to the original baby, baby lullabies and see how that works. She'll probably fight me even putting in her CD player

JessicaP - I used to love telling them made up stories and they loved them. I'll try that some more too maybe instead of letting her read - that way her mind can rest and just listen and I'll be the one thinking - THANKS!

Stinkelein - thanks for the input. Another friend recommended Valerian root also. I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my list of things to get the next time I go to the Green Grocer (which might be tomorrow if she doesn't sleep tonight). I like this idea since it helps promote the production of natural melatonin rather than supplementing with melatonin directly. THANKS!!