Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Almost 1 month old and still over supply, help

I had over supply issues last time as well and I just pumped the extra every day and froze it. Then we had a deep freezer and it would keep for 6 months but now I just have the frig freezer with little room. I am wishing my boobs would regulate but they haven't. I still produce to much especially at night. I wake up in pain with boulders attached to my chest. I can't even let DH wake up and do a formula feed so I can get some rest because if I do I pay for it later that night.
I already take allergy meds and no it hasn't decreased my supply at all but at least I am sneezing less.

How can I regulate myself at night so I don't have to pump all the time?

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Almost 1 month old and still over supply, help

Have you tried block feeding? Feed from only 1 breast for 2 hours. With the engorgement pump or hand express only enough to relieve pain. It should regulate soon!
I had the same issue with my DS!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He eats every 2-3 hours now so if I block feed for 2 feedings that is going that is going to be 4-6 hrs build up on one breast. Won't that promote an infection going so long? I can try it and just pump 2 ounces from the other but what about at night when he will go 4 hours between feeding? My boob might explode from the back up
Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had oversupply with my last two babies. It took a full 7-10 weeks for things to stabilize for me. Block feeding was a huge help for me. I nursed my babies only on one side at each feeding. I did not pump the other. I had ample supply in each breast for a feeding; in fact they almost never finished the first side and wouldn't take the second though I offered. My boys have nursed every 3 hours during the day so each breast would go 6 hours between use. So I would nurse at 7am on the left, 10 am on the right, 1pm on the left, etc... I only pumped after my first morning feeding because I was SOOO full. I donated almost 300oz to a mama and kept 400 oz for us doing this. Mine were only waking to eat once between their 10pm feeding and their 7am feeding by 3 weeks, and not at all by 10 weeks. I know it seems like its a never ending situation at this point, but it will stabilize soon enough. My LC warned to not pump to empty or it would increase supply, just pump just enough to be comfortable. I never had mastitis or clogged ducts with either baby. GL mama.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would pump as little as possible. Pumping is only telling your body that you need to make that milk. Hand express just enough to relieve the engorgement so baby will latch on. It will be uncomfortable for a while, but you need to stop sending your body cues to make more.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Whidbey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall View Post
I would pump as little as possible. Pumping is only telling your body that you need to make that milk. Hand express just enough to relieve the engorgement so baby will latch on. It will be uncomfortable for a while, but you need to stop sending your body cues to make more.
Spoken perfectly! I had MAJOR oversupply with all of my babies. Block feeding helped a bit for us. Pumping is not the best thing to do... the more you pump, the more your body thinks it needs to make.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since I only feed from one side each feeding already is that block feeding I have always done this but am just now hearing about blobk feeding.He gets around 3-4 oz from each feeding and I never switch between breasts in one feeding because there is SO much. I guess that means I am already block feeding?

Last edited by TaraR; 07-13-2010 at 03:30 PM.
TaraR is offline   Reply With Quote