Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #31
mama2twins
Registered Users
seller

Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!

Thank you for the input! I think I am going to try going GF and see if it makes a difference, as I begin school again (I'm a teacher) in a few weeks and really want to feel better, if at all possible, before then. I just need to read through some of the links and blogs posted here to figure out how to begin To be honest, aside from regular bread...I don't even know what contains gluten! I also want to figure out what restaurants and such carry gluten free items as well, to make life a bit easier in the meantime. Any info. you ladies have is much appreciated.

Oh, and I also remembered...symptom #376 (lol) is that I haven't had a period in about a year! Not really complaining about that, just odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
mama2twins,
I just wanted to add as far as getting a diagnosis, traditional allergy testing may or may not show if you have a sensitivity to gluten. There are a lot of different kinds of reactions your body can have to foods and it may not mean you are "allergic" in the typical sense of the word but you know your body and know that there is something going on. I honestly think the best way to know is just to try cutting out the possible culprits. If it helps, great! If not then maybe you will want to try and figure out what else could be going on by getting tests. If you are able to manage it I don't know that the actual diagnosis would be as important. We do not have one for my son but I notice a difference in his digestive symptoms. But as a pp said, if it will make you feel more certain and comfortable with going on and staying on the diet, go for it and get tested. That is totally understandable, it's whatever you prefer. Good luck, hope you feel better!

Advertisement

mama2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #32
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post
Thank you for the input! I think I am going to try going GF and see if it makes a difference, as I begin school again (I'm a teacher) in a few weeks and really want to feel better, if at all possible, before then. I just need to read through some of the links and blogs posted here to figure out how to begin To be honest, aside from regular bread...I don't even know what contains gluten! I also want to figure out what restaurants and such carry gluten free items as well, to make life a bit easier in the meantime. Any info. you ladies have is much appreciated.

Oh, and I also remembered...symptom #376 (lol) is that I haven't had a period in about a year! Not really complaining about that, just odd.
Good luck!! I know it might seem impossible at first, but once you learn more and more and get used to it, it becomes second nature.

Here's a good " Quick Start Guide" for some basics. And here are Safe and Unsafe food lists, for a more detailed list. When I first started, I printed those off and took them to the grocery store with me. If you join the SillyYaks yahoo group, they have lots of great links and files on mainstream foods and restaurants!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #33
Hbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi all! I've just started eating GF 2 weeks ago to see if it helps with my tummy troubles. So far the difference is amazing!!!

Here's my background:
I've had issues with diarrhea (sorry TMI) pretty much my whole life. My mom always told me as a child that it was just stress, and that grandpa was the same way. It got worse in my early 20's. I will get horribly sick to my stomach 20-30 minutes after eating 3-5 days a week.

My stomach ached almost constantly, and in the last 4 years or so I've developed a problem with tummy bloat. DH has been bugging me to go to a dr, but I figured I probably have IBS or something so why bother.

The other week I was googling homeopathic remedies for chronic diarrhea and ended up in a link about celiacs. I thought I'd give it a shot, and wow! Within 3 or 4 days my stomach ache and bloat were gone. I've been really careful, but I've still gotten sick 3 times during these two weeks. I'm thinking it might with be cheese with annatto for coloring, so those are banned for now.
Hbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #34
Hbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Double post

Last edited by Hbug; 07-19-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Hbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #35
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heather - Yay!! And welcome to the GF life! I hope it continues to help you as much as it has helped the rest of us!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about spices? Some seem to be pretty easy to tell they are GF (oregano, etc), but things like garlic powder.....I noticed there was no ingredient list on the packaging. Does anyone know if things like that can have hidden gluten?

And last week, I reacted to a meal I've made many times and KNOW is GF. My mom and I brainstormed and we think it may have been the Walmart hamburger. Of course, I cut it out immediately and went to a local grocery store for hamburger. No problems like that since.

I'd also love to know what everyone uses for shampoo, conditioner, kids body wash, hand soap, etc. I'm still mildly reacting probably 5 times a week with no rhyme or reason. I'm doing my best to get to where I don't come in contact with it in any form, but it is sooooo hard and confusing when trying to read cosmetic ingredients!

Boy, that was all over the place, wasn't it?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #37
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, yeah, Chick-fil-A has a gluten free "menu," as does Qdoba, if I remember right. I've started going to websites for restraunts in my area or where I'm traveling to and finding that many places are putting up lists of what foods are GF.

Last edited by Doodlebrainette; 07-19-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: used that double post for another thought :D
Doodlebrainette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #38
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebrainette View Post
What about spices? Some seem to be pretty easy to tell they are GF (oregano, etc), but things like garlic powder.....I noticed there was no ingredient list on the packaging. Does anyone know if things like that can have hidden gluten?

And last week, I reacted to a meal I've made many times and KNOW is GF. My mom and I brainstormed and we think it may have been the Walmart hamburger. Of course, I cut it out immediately and went to a local grocery store for hamburger. No problems like that since.

I'd also love to know what everyone uses for shampoo, conditioner, kids body wash, hand soap, etc. I'm still mildly reacting probably 5 times a week with no rhyme or reason. I'm doing my best to get to where I don't come in contact with it in any form, but it is sooooo hard and confusing when trying to read cosmetic ingredients!

Boy, that was all over the place, wasn't it?
Garlic powder should only have garlic in it. Anything that has more than what it says on the front label is required to have an ingredient list.

I find sometimes that I seem to react to something that I KNOW is GF (that I made myself with the same bottle of whatever, etc), and I think in those times it's probably that I got into something before that I just am having a delayed reaction to, or that my stomach got inflamed slowly from cross contamination or something, and then just couldn't handle the grease/spices/whatever that meal had in it.

As for cosmetics, I don't generally have issues with them except shampoo. I have to use Nature's Gate Tea Tree Oil shampoo/cond because I get eczema on my scalp. I do know that the Vitamin E oil they use in cosmetics is usually derived from wheat, though, so watch out for that.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #39
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

I just happened to notice this thread! There are more people who are GF here than I had imagined. IRL I don't know many people who even know what "gluten" is. Are many of you dealing with other food restrictions also?

Right now our entire family is on ds2's diet. I have no clue whether he has celiac. His allergist said that he creates antibodies to virtually all foods, and he does have multiple diagnosed food allergies. We've only done testing for IgE antibodies, though, not the antibodies that would be present in celiac disease. We've noticed that he's up all night with bellyaches if he gets gluten or oats, so we eliminated them from his diet. He's also allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, milk, and eggs. (We're suspecting soy now too and will find out at his annual allergy test next month.)

Restricted diets aren't a breeze, but not impossible either, right? I absolutely adore The Gluten Free Goddess blog. When I get frustrated, I go there for inspiration. Everything looks so appealing! Does anyone know of a similar GF blog for people with additional dietary restrictions?
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #40
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sure thing mama! I hope you find yourself feeling much, much better soon, especially in time to start back to work. Since it is my son and not me dealing with gluten sensitivity I can only imagine how miserable it could be...

PP is right, you will find it easier and easier to plan meals and know what you can and can't eat on the diet as time goes by. Just jump in!! There are a lot of great gluten-free, allergy-free cookbooks and websites out there and lots of good products on the shelves too that will make it easier especially during the transition time. I'm sure you will find some good staples to keep around the kitchen that you know you can always dig in to... Pretty soon you'll be a GF pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post