Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #41
slwat7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!

I too am a GF mama! I got really sick about 4 months ago and found out I had a vitamin D deffinciency (very common for celiac/gluten intolerance). I had been on a low carb diet for 4 months before that and had no gluten at all and then started eating a "normal" diet when I got sick. I got the vit D under control, but had numbing and tingling in my arms and hands and had horrible neck/back and head pains. Went through tons of testing for lupus, MS, lyme, thyroid and many other vitamin defficiencies and was then diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I wouldn't really accept that since they really can't test for it. At, the same time, I was having horrible panic attacks and bad anxiety. So I did lots of research and came upon celaic and gluten intolerance actually being fibro. So about 1.5 months ago, I decided to go GF. I felt better in about 3 days. Not awesome, but better. Did that for 2 weeks and then decided to eat gluten again. Pain and panic attacks came ROARING back. So, I have been GF and dairy free for about a week now and feel so much better again. I feel like I am finally getting back to myself.

It is so nice to see all you here and realize that there are others like me. This will be great support for me as I get a lot of looks when I say I am GF. People are like "what?"! I have been doing a lot of baking and have some really yummy recipes. I am really embracing my new lifestyle.

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #42
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoiceSoaps View Post
Are many of you dealing with other food restrictions also?
I'm dairy free, in addition to gluten.

I'm not telling my family, but I've been slowly weaning them all off gluten. I suspect that all 3 of my kids are affected by it to some degree. I did a full kitchen sweep yesterday and removed the last of the gluten (I did leave dh's cereal and sandwich bread for work, since he makes his own breakfasts and many of his lunches). I was surprised that I only had 2 1/2 plastic grocery bags of gluten goods left in the whole house! No one has even noticed the crackers are missing and all that.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #43
mama2twins
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwat7 View Post
I too am a GF mama! I got really sick about 4 months ago and found out I had a vitamin D deffinciency (very common for celiac/gluten intolerance). I had been on a low carb diet for 4 months before that and had no gluten at all and then started eating a "normal" diet when I got sick. I got the vit D under control, but had numbing and tingling in my arms and hands and had horrible neck/back and head pains. Went through tons of testing for lupus, MS, lyme, thyroid and many other vitamin defficiencies and was then diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I wouldn't really accept that since they really can't test for it. At, the same time, I was having horrible panic attacks and bad anxiety. So I did lots of research and came upon celaic and gluten intolerance actually being fibro. So about 1.5 months ago, I decided to go GF. I felt better in about 3 days. Not awesome, but better. Did that for 2 weeks and then decided to eat gluten again. Pain and panic attacks came ROARING back. So, I have been GF and dairy free for about a week now and feel so much better again. I feel like I am finally getting back to myself.

It is so nice to see all you here and realize that there are others like me. This will be great support for me as I get a lot of looks when I say I am GF. People are like "what?"! I have been doing a lot of baking and have some really yummy recipes. I am really embracing my new lifestyle.
The more and more I see/hear/read the more convinced I am that this is the culprit! Can you tell me where you found the links/info. on fibro and celiac/gluten intolerance??? Would love to read this for myself! My one doctor actually told me that a fibro diagnosis is basically a set of symptoms that they have no idea what causes and can't find an alternate diagnosis for...same with IBS. They gave me both! I also am not just content accepting fibro/IBS and taking drugs to mask these symptoms for the rest of my life!!
mama2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #44
slwat7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post
The more and more I see/hear/read the more convinced I am that this is the culprit! Can you tell me where you found the links/info. on fibro and celiac/gluten intolerance??? Would love to read this for myself! My one doctor actually told me that a fibro diagnosis is basically a set of symptoms that they have no idea what causes and can't find an alternate diagnosis for...same with IBS. They gave me both! I also am not just content accepting fibro/IBS and taking drugs to mask these symptoms for the rest of my life!!

I don't really have any specific links. I just googled the heck out of "celaic being fibro" and many different websites and links came up. A lot of people and their blogs came up too claiming that going GF helped the so called fibro. I hate saying that about fibro, but I just wouldn't accept it. And like you said, the same is true for IBS. I think I am also suffering from some hormonal imbalances and had really bad PMS (diagnosed PMDD) the last few cycles. It was so bad from ovulation til I got AF. I can tell that I feel better already and my stress and anxiety is nearly gone. I haven't had a panic attack in over 2 weeks and was having them about every other day for quite a while.

I really hope that you give it a try. It really does sound like gluten issues to me. Sorry that I couldn't give you any specific links. But Google is our friend!
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
mama2twins
Registered Users
seller

Thanks and I will. No panic attacks, but definitely seeing a lot of mood fluctuation and such (ie: crying for no reason, irritability--and I've had depression issues in the past and this just "feels" very different...). I am heading to the store here in a bit and starting tomorrow morning. Anyone have any pros/cons of Whole Foods vs. Trader Joes for getting some initial items to get started? Any specific brand names to look for that are particularly good? Gah. I really hope this is it and am so excited to have a possible "simple", non-drug fix and start feeling normal again

BTW, slwat7, LOVE your kiddos names! Especially Emmett
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #46
mama2twins
Registered Users
seller

OK, so went shopping and ready to begin Let me ask you all one question...so, I love the Naked brand Superfood...especially the green one...yum. But, when I looked at the ingredients, it contains wheat grass and barley grass! So, just for fun, I looked at the ingredients on the Green Goddess made by Bolthouse Farms (I think) and it also contains wheat and barley grass BUT it's marked Gluten Free??? How can that be? I didn't get any because I wanted to check first...but I did get a raincheck so that I can get it at the sale price, if, in fact, it is gluten free! Can wheat grass and barley grass not contain glutens?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #47
tjoy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just found this thread! I'm in the process of switching to a DF/GF diet to try and help my endometriosis symptoms. There are a bunch of other things to avoid (caffeine, refined sugar, red meat, soy) that I've either eliminated or am close to eliminating so I'm just working on the last bits!
ing, baby-wearing, vegetarian, non-circ-ing, vaxing mama to Liam 11/17/2009. #2 is on the way
my IHA/ISO
tjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #48
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post
OK, so went shopping and ready to begin Let me ask you all one question...so, I love the Naked brand Superfood...especially the green one...yum. But, when I looked at the ingredients, it contains wheat grass and barley grass! So, just for fun, I looked at the ingredients on the Green Goddess made by Bolthouse Farms (I think) and it also contains wheat and barley grass BUT it's marked Gluten Free??? How can that be? I didn't get any because I wanted to check first...but I did get a raincheck so that I can get it at the sale price, if, in fact, it is gluten free! Can wheat grass and barley grass not contain glutens?
If it's the grasses, they might be okay. It's the grain (or seed) that has gluten. But I still wouldn't eat it personally.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #49
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I'm going to tell my story and hopefully you can all give me some insight. For years now, I have been battling yeast infections and eczema. I also have Graves Disease, which is an autoimmune disorder just as eczema is. Anyways, I have always had a pretty typical diet. Lot's and lot's of carbs and dairy, although I have always tried to eat whole grains. I love veggies and fruits, and I don't eat a lot of fried junk, but I do love my goodies! Anyways, I went to see my midwife, who I still see after my dds were all born. She said to me, "You can do something about it or you can be itchy and sick for the rest of your life!" Well, she was in my shoes until about 6 years ago and she went off all yeast, sugar, dairy, coffee, and gluten. She is like a new person. So I am now inspired. Kate (my midwife) believes that my eczema is from a wheat sensitivity; she ran a celiac panel, along with a food sensitivity test. I already know I need to cut out sugar and yeast, so I figured I might as well go gluten free while I'm at it. The tests don't come back for a couple of weeks but I am trying to get a head start. I started a couple of days ago; no sugar, no wheat, limited dairy and limited fruit. Well, yesterday I did have a little bit of wheat and my eczema started itching again. The dairy doesn't seem to bother it though. What do you all think? Any similar experiences? It is really really hard to do sugar AND gluten free. Ugh, the only sweetner I can have is Stevia. I did make some almond flour cookies today and I had some gluten free rice noodle alfredo tuna casserole for dinner while the rest of the family had regular tuna casserole. I think I can get the hang of it but I need some recipes! Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #50
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebrainette View Post
Oh, Nathans hotdogs are GF and one of the better brands, I think.
Nathan's hotdogs are NOT gluten free! They are one of the only hotdogs I have come across that say "wheat gluten protein" right on the label.

When we buy hotdogs it's ballpark, boars head or Saugy's (a local thing). I know they are GF, others may be too, but I haven't gotten good enough info from the company to be sure.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote