Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #51
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post
Thanks and I will. No panic attacks, but definitely seeing a lot of mood fluctuation and such (ie: crying for no reason, irritability--and I've had depression issues in the past and this just "feels" very different...). I am heading to the store here in a bit and starting tomorrow morning. Anyone have any pros/cons of Whole Foods vs. Trader Joes for getting some initial items to get started? Any specific brand names to look for that are particularly good? Gah. I really hope this is it and am so excited to have a possible "simple", non-drug fix and start feeling normal again

BTW, slwat7, LOVE your kiddos names! Especially Emmett
Trader Joes GF Waffle and Pancake mix $2.99 a bag
Trader Joes rice pasta

Whole foods has big bags of Nature's Path cereals, I like the Mesa Sunrise.

Advertisement

mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #52
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi everyone! I'm a GF mama and here's our story. My DD2 (a twin) was never a content BF baby like my first had been. Then we started solids and the constipation began. I was always giving her things to get her "moving". Her twin brother had no problems. Her blood counts were low at her 1 and 2 yr visits, but I never gave her the iron the pedi recommended because of the constipation. She ate a TON of high iron foods and should not have been anemic. Finally asked for a consult to a GI when we potty trained and realized how severe her problem was. The GI felt she was "holding it" which is a common problem. Yeah, my 2.5 yr old chooses to put her potty in front of the TV and sit there for an hour because she's holding it in. She finally tested her for Celiac, blood work then endoscopy at 2 yrs 9 months. Lab work and even endoscopies are notoriously unreliable in a child this age!!! We were incredibly fortunate to have a diagnosis, especially since there was no family history...or so we thought.

After DD2's dx, several other family members were diagnosed.
My mother (chronic constipation, anxiety, depression, panic attacks)
My sister (joint pain, rashes)
My other sister ("sensitive skin", occ. stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea. Difficulties in school, was labeled "learning disabled")
My mother in law (stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea, severe osteoporosis)
Me (anemia, infertility, joint pain)

I was just diagnosed last April. My anemia is cured, and apparently my infertility too. After having to deal with injections, IUI's and IVF before being blessed with our three miracles, I somehow got pregnant on my own. We were not "trying". This was 2 weeks after going on a completely gluten free diet.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #53
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After reading many of the posts here, I feel like I have to comment. I am by no means an expert, but I have done tons of research since my DD's diagnosis. Celiac testing in children is notoriously unreliable. Both blood and endoscopy. If you're going to get tested, find a GI who specializes in Celiac. It's worth getting genetic testing if it runs in your family. A negative celiac screen now doesn't mean you will never have Celiac, just means your not sick...now. You should test on a regular basis if you know you or your LO's carry a Celiac gene. There is no specific recommendation for frequency of testing. I choose every 2 yrs for my kids.

You should be tested for Celiac if you are related to a Celiac. 4 in 10 people will test positive even if they have no symptoms.

Gluten free needs to be 100% if you have Celiac. To avoid the long term risks of celiac such as cancer, osteoporosis and diabetes, you cannot cheat. A little gluten does a lot of damage.

Cross contamination is a b***h! Toasters, counter tops, pasta colanders, cast iron pans, stone ware pans (oh, how I loved my pampered chef stoneware), double dipping condiments. Flour gets everywhere!!! and takes 48 hours to completely settle after becoming airborn.

Playdoh has gluten, glue, stickers, envelopes, some finger paints. Cosmetics, shampoos and bodywash.

In the US, it is required to label wheat on food labels, but not barley, rye, malt or oats. I always call companies and question them thoroughly before I feed something to my DD.

There are some really great links posted here. There is also a Kids with Celiac yahoo group that I belong to. I definitely don't know it all, but wanted to share. We all only want the best for our children. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #54
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
Nathan's hotdogs are NOT gluten free! They are one of the only hotdogs I have come across that say "wheat gluten protein" right on the label.

When we buy hotdogs it's ballpark, boars head or Saugy's (a local thing). I know they are GF, others may be too, but I haven't gotten good enough info from the company to be sure.
How odd! Ours say gluten free right on the packaging! I've never reacted to them, either. I'll double check the package next time I'm in the store.

ETA: http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemo...w-gluten-free/ Looks like they used to be made with wheat, but are gluten free now. From what I read, the cheese one is not GF. I'm going to call the company on Monday, just to double check.

Last edited by Doodlebrainette; 07-23-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Doodlebrainette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #55
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy View Post
Julia - Definitely sounds like gluten might be the cause of your DS's troubles! Just know that a negative blood test doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's very common to have a negative blood test. Mine was negative, so heaven knows I don't put much stock in them.
Oh it is good to know I'm not nuts. I REALLY want to get him tested for celiacs again soon. He needs it.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #56
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Wow I JUST found this!!

My story is lonnng and interesting and I should be in bed .

I'll tell more of my story later, busy weekend going out of town, so maybe early next week. My son and I both have Celiac and I actually had a stroke last Nov. which was caused by the gluten/celiac. Have more to share then that though!

I also just recently tested IgE allergic to peanuts, green peas, and soybean . My son is awaiting his allergy testing appointment in two weeks actually. I've cut those out of my diet and recently started some digestive enzymes to pretty much rebuild the lining of my stomach. My symptoms have got much better even since I started the enzymes.

Look forward to chatting with you ladies!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #57
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great to see all the ladies in here! Sorry if I don't respond to everyone individually. Third trimester sleepies meet crazy life!
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #58
slwat7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
BTW, slwat7, LOVE your kiddos names! Especially Emmett
Aw, thanks! Do you have an Emmett too?

I hope that you are doing well since going GF. I have gone DF too b/c I was having issues after going GF.

I love reading all of your stories, mamas. I was pretty much crying at the store yesterday b/c the foods I can eat now are expensive and our budget is so tight. But, everyone is so supportive and helpful here and that helps. So thank you all!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #59
mama2twins
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwat7 View Post
Aw, thanks! Do you have an Emmett too?

I hope that you are doing well since going GF. I have gone DF too b/c I was having issues after going GF.

I love reading all of your stories, mamas. I was pretty much crying at the store yesterday b/c the foods I can eat now are expensive and our budget is so tight. But, everyone is so supportive and helpful here and that helps. So thank you all!
No, I have a Bennett and a Davis. But love Emmett, so cute!

This is Day 2 of eating GF. Haven't noticed anything major yet...maybe less headaches today...but not sure??? However, it's funny b/c once I decided to "just do it" and try to solve my problems on my own by going GF, I have heard so many random references and suggestions from others that say, "Have you considered Celiac???" Weird. And, funny story...
my mom calls me this morning and first thing she says, "Didn't you have sores on your butt?"
Me: "Umm, yeah...not IN my butt...but, where are you going with this?"
Mom: "I saw this doctor on the local news this morning, I was half sleeping and she said that one of the tell tale signs of Celiac Disease is getting sores on your backside that don't heal or reappear...that when she hears a patient complain of that, she immediately thinks to test for Celiac"
Me: "Oh...I hadn't heard that..."

But, anyway, aside from a rather awkward morning conversation with my mother...it's funny how after over a year of trying to figure out what MIGHT be causing all of these symptoms, it now seems to be pretty obvious
mama2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #60
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
No, I have a Bennett and a Davis. But love Emmett, so cute!

This is Day 2 of eating GF. Haven't noticed anything major yet...maybe less headaches today...but not sure??? However, it's funny b/c once I decided to "just do it" and try to solve my problems on my own by going GF, I have heard so many random references and suggestions from others that say, "Have you considered Celiac???" Weird. And, funny story...
my mom calls me this morning and first thing she says, "Didn't you have sores on your butt?"
Me: "Umm, yeah...not IN my butt...but, where are you going with this?"
Mom: "I saw this doctor on the local news this morning, I was half sleeping and she said that one of the tell tale signs of Celiac Disease is getting sores on your backside that don't heal or reappear...that when she hears a patient complain of that, she immediately thinks to test for Celiac"
Me: "Oh...I hadn't heard that..."

But, anyway, aside from a rather awkward morning conversation with my mother...it's funny how after over a year of trying to figure out what MIGHT be causing all of these symptoms, it now seems to be pretty obvious
Never heard of that one, but who knows? Too funny of a convo, though!

It usually takes people 2-3 weeks before they can see a significant difference, and about 3-4 months for the esophagus to heal completely. Hang in there!