Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #61
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gluten Free Mamas, UNITE!

help! I am on day three of gf and I am totally craving the carbs! I tried making gluten free muffins and they were awful. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #62
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy View Post
help! I am on day three of gf and I am totally craving the carbs! I tried making gluten free muffins and they were awful. Any suggestions?
I've read to totally avoid bread products for the first few weeks to help make the transition. I pracitcally lived on potatoes for days when I switched over. LOL! OreIda makes GF french fries, which I tend to buy when the craving for wheat carbs comes over me. Betty Crocker makes a pretty good GF chocolate cake and they also make GF frosting. Bisquick has a GF version out, too. It made much better biscuits than I make from scratch. The Gluten Free Pantry ( this one) makes a lovely french bread mix, which always turns out nice. When I changed over, it took me a while to get the hang of GF cooking. Buying a few box mixes to start with (they are expensive) might help some. Bette Hagman has some GF cookbooks. The one I have is wonderful and worth every penny! Also, I think it is linked somewhere in this thread...Gluten Free Goddess...her blog has lots of great recipes.

Last edited by Doodlebrainette; 07-25-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added link
Doodlebrainette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #63
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebrainette View Post
I've read to totally avoid bread products for the first few weeks to help make the transition. I pracitcally lived on potatoes for days when I switched over. LOL! OreIda makes GF french fries, which I tend to buy when the craving for wheat carbs comes over me. Betty Crocker makes a pretty good GF chocolate cake and they also make GF frosting. Bisquick has a GF version out, too. It made much better biscuits than I make from scratch. The Gluten Free Pantry ( this one) makes a lovely french bread mix, which always turns out nice. When I changed over, it took me a while to get the hang of GF cooking. Buying a few box mixes to start with (they are expensive) might help some. Bette Hagman has some GF cookbooks. The one I have is wonderful and worth every penny! Also, I think it is linked somewhere in this thread...Gluten Free Goddess...her blog has lots of great recipes.
Thanks, unfortunately I am supposed to cut sugars too! It's impossible!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #64
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The gluten free goddess blog has some really good recipes and you can adjust the sugars in them
Old 07-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #65
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurkinsmommy View Post
The gluten free goddess blog has some really good recipes and you can adjust the sugars in them
Thanks, I will give that a try!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #66
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, I'm totally wrong on this one. Nathan's used to have wheat gluten on the label. In fact, the Stop and Shop Peapod site still has that ingredient information on the website. I was so surprised to see then marked gluten free in the store yesterday! I had to buy a package just to try them out. Almost like the forbidden fruit, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebrainette View Post
How odd! Ours say gluten free right on the packaging! I've never reacted to them, either. I'll double check the package next time I'm in the store.

ETA: http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemo...w-gluten-free/ Looks like they used to be made with wheat, but are gluten free now. From what I read, the cheese one is not GF. I'm going to call the company on Monday, just to double check.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #67
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I usually make my own sandwich bread from a mix, but for any other breads like rolls I love Chebe breads. If you know a few Celiacs you can order directly from the company. They are relatively cheap and give a discount if buying a few cases and free shipping. www.chebe.com They also have many recipe suggestions for using their breads. I love the focaccia to make sandwich rolls. One package makes 6 rolls. The cheese bread is awesome for breadsticks.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #68
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That is rough! I did sugar free/GF for about 2 months. Can you use any sweeteners? I've tried a couple different things in the past.

Oh, yeah, I totally agree with the Chebe suggestion. They are really good! Also, you can do a search for Brazillian Cheese Bread and should come up with a recipe for chebe. I make my own from tapioca starch, which I buy in bulk.

Last edited by Doodlebrainette; 07-25-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Doodlebrainette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #69
Doodlebrainette
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
I had to buy a package just to try them out. Almost like the forbidden fruit, LOL!
I just can't get over how expensive they are! We don't eat them often.

Totally off hotdogs, do I need to be concerned about liquid hand soaps, unless they have Vit E in them? And I noticed some of my precious WAHM-made soaps have oatmeal in them. Is that a problem. Oh, I hope not!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #70
slwat7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
I usually make my own sandwich bread from a mix,

Which mix do you use? I am so scared to buy one for fear of not liking it and there are many to choose from. TIA!

Anyone here off of dairy too? I am hoping that in a few months I can have it again. I miss cheese so bad!!