Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
m0mmytothree
Registered Users

help for heavy wetter!

I am brand new to cloth diapering and, so far, it is not going well. I have tried bum genius, blueberry, and happy heineys. My baby saturates them within a couple hours and then they leak through the leg holes. The blueberry actually lasts a little longer though. They've all been washed plenty of times with a safe detergent and they feel plenty tight around the legs. Perhaps cloth diapering won't work for us, but before I quit, I'm open to suggestions!

Advertisement

m0mmytothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
star122802
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help for heavy wetter!

I have a heavy wetter too. We use gflappers for overnight we get them from
http://www.nappyshoppe.com/store/gfl...ois-p-514.html
star122802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Janet
Registered Users

I add an extra wool doubler between the diaper and cover. Works great. You can get them here: http://www.newandgreen.com/wooldoubler.html She only has one left, but I know she will have more in a couple of days (as I am sending more in the mail tomorrow )
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
babylancaster
Registered Users

My Mood:

Are you having trouble with nighttime or daytime? My ds is a heavy wetter too and I've found that I just need to change him every couple of hours during the day. I do add in a doubler if I know it will be longer, because he will wet through a Goodmama, BSRB, PNP etc within 2hrs max. With a doubler (folded & put in his wet zone), I can usually get close to 3hrs. But any longer than that and the dipe starts wicking at the legs.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

I have a heavy wetting toddler (who is now PLed) but when we were using diapers on him we had the same problem. Honestly, pockets and AIOs NEVER worked well for him. I kept a few around for "daddy diaper changes" but the best solution I found was going to fitteds/prefolds and covers (our fav is wool), adding an extra doubler inside the dipe. Just experiment a bit with different options and keep an open mind. I'm sure you can find some system that will work well for you.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
b15chik
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylancaster View Post
Are you having trouble with nighttime or daytime? My ds is a heavy wetter too and I've found that I just need to change him every couple of hours during the day. I do add in a doubler if I know it will be longer, because he will wet through a Goodmama, BSRB, PNP etc within 2hrs max. With a doubler (folded & put in his wet zone), I can usually get close to 3hrs. But any longer than that and the dipe starts wicking at the legs.
same exact thing here. i normally change every 2 hours. with a doubler i can go 3 unless he's drinking a ton of water. any longer than that and we have leaks just like you at the legs
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Try fitted diapers with wool covers.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i also have a heavy wetter. i just change more often. if you use pockets you can try adding a smaller microfiber doubler to it. these are good http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=765. you could also be getting compression leaks - if the clothing around the diaper is tight it can cause a leak. one last thing - do you notice the suedecloth/fleece inner wet? maybe its repelling some and isnt letting the urine through.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

My LO is a super soaker. He can wet through anything in an hour!

If you're talking about daytime, you should probably change more often.

If you're talking about nighttime, I would suggest a night fitted (like ABB Spartan, BSRB TIAN, etc.) with an extra doubler covered with a wool or fleece soaker.
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a super heavy wetter, she is Pled now. I had to change her every 1 1/2 hours no matter what I put her in. Natural fiber diapers will work better for you than fleece. I found that anything bamboo, hemp, cotton or combination of hemp/cotton worked very well. I always had to use a doubler no matter the diaper we used.
I really loved Happy Heineys Happy Hempy. It's a hemp pocket fitted. The Osocozy aios with a hemp/cotton doubler. BB bamboo pocket diaper used with both inserts and SB cotton velour diaper with both inserts. The inserts are a cotton/hemp blend.
We could sometimes make it to 3 hours if we had to with out a leak with these diapers.
I hope that helps, I can sympathize with you on this one.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote