Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
acrylic soakers?

whats the deal with acrylic soakers? do you love them, hate them, or what?

[COLOR="Orange"]*Stacy*(using app!)
Mom to 4 plus preggo! Due in Jan, 14.
lovemybabies924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
Re: acrylic soakers?

Well, I've not tried acrylic, but I have to say I'd be skeptical about it as you can't lanolize acrylic. Sure, it is not an absorbent material, but I think the lanolin on wool is essential for helping create a good water barrier. Plus, I'd think acrylic would start to stink quickly and would have to be washed much more often than wool. Just my thoughts...
[SIZE="1"]Tiffany - Became a mama to 2 boys through IVF and adoption ('06 & '10)! Our August '09 baby rests in heaven.
Badonkadonk Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Registered Users

Haven't tried it but am surprised it's an option ... I've noticed WHAMs who upcycle sweaters as soakers, and advertise to buy sweaters, specifically forbid acrylic. I had an acrylic hooded sweatshirt that was pointless because the rain soaked right through ... and won't wear acrylic shirts because I sweat in them once, and never ever can get the stink out.

But ... YMMV!
Laydiebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I only have one. But it works in the winter GREAT! I wash and dry with my regular laundry (so it gets regular detergent and fabric softener), I think that helps it become a little more water resistant. They are nice and warm. Now that it's summer, DD uses them as jammies b/c we keep our house COLD at night.

I only have the pair I do have was kind of a test pair to figure out a pattern I was making. I just used scrap yarn to make them.

~ Wife to one HONKIN' Hubby , Bfing, , baby-wearing, crocheting, homeschooling, trying to be a good steward of what God has blessed us with, completely , SAHM to 7 wonderful munchkins
SRUEDU is offline   Reply With Quote