Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Stouffers3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Latch issues, maybe prefers the bottle and he is premature

One thing the LC in the NICU told me was that when you get home the 3 hour schedule probably won't work anymore. She said he would probably want to nurse more at home. And she was so right! You have to remember that your baby is technically not even a newborn yet so he may want to eat a lot more often (especially BF because they digest it much quicker!) Try to nurse as much as he wants, see if he's having enough wet diapers. If he is then he's getting enough. He will get eventually that if he's hungry he needs to nurse.

As far as the pumping, once he is nursing on a regular basis, you can cut down on the pumping. I know it's terrifying because you don't want to lose your supply. But your body will be able to regulate it and you will make more milk as he gets bigger. What I did was to only pump when I felt I needed to to relieve discomfort. I cut down on the number of pumping per day and kept them as short as possible until one day I decided not to do it anymore. And I still have plenty of milk now that he's 7 months old.

Oh and I know about the freezer full of milk. My husband has asked constantly when we can throw it out but I'm just too attached!

Just so you know, I could have written this post earlier this year. I was exactly where you are: wondering how I could have been successful with 2 kids and then have so much trouble. Just like with other milestone, you need to give your little one some extra time to catch up. He will get it!

P.S. Don't forget, though, to give yourself a break sometimes. There were times in the middle of the night that DS would be so frustrated trying to latch on and I was hysterical and DH would take him for 15-20 minutes, get him to calm down, and then we had a much easier time. If your getting frustrated that will raise your DS anxiety level. He won't starve if you need a 15 minute break.

Advertisement

Bruce (12/09, born at 33 weeks), MC 01/14 Missing my Angel
Expecting our Rainbow in April 2015
MTHFR, Fibromyalgia
Stouffers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
briannah
Registered Users

What if... instead of offering him the breast first and then the bottle, what if you give him a bit of milk by bottle first and then offer him the breast. Kind of like weaning from a nipple shield. Then he wouldn't be as starving when you offer him the breast and maybe he won't be as frustrated and be able to take more from you. I have NO idea if that will really work, I'm just throwing out ideas! Sounds like your LO is very determined... and he won't let himself starve, that's a good thing, but frustrating right now. When I was having a hard time breastfeeding someone told me how amazed they were that I was still doing it and what a gift I was giving my boys. The same goes for you mama! And even though I'm sure you know that, it does help to hear from others, you're doing a fantastic job!
briannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Stouffers3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannah View Post
What if... instead of offering him the breast first and then the bottle, what if you give him a bit of milk by bottle first and then offer him the breast.
That might not be a bad idea. It might get him to calm down. And then you can take it away from him and try to quickly latch him on.
Bruce (12/09, born at 33 weeks), MC 01/14 Missing my Angel
Expecting our Rainbow in April 2015
MTHFR, Fibromyalgia
Stouffers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today has been a horrible day. I feel so discouraged and hopeless, its a really nasty feeling. I have tried ALL of your all's suggestions and have had little to no luck. I am just not understanding why this is so hard and why isn't he getting it. On the up side of things... I went back to the nipple shield and he will latch on it. Not really sure if he is latching right since it has been 6 years since I have used one. Sometimes when he is nursing with it, the nipple part slides back and forth while he nurses, the whole thing isn't in his mouth, just the protruding part... should he have that and some of the flat part of the shield in his mouth? I also discovered that the football hold with him completely on his side is better for him, he latches and stayes latched better. All in all today has been a better nursing day but a horrible emotional day.

Thank you all for all your support, it means a lot to me. I have very little around here. Its nice to know that I am not alone and that others have gone through his and have succeeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannah View Post
When I was having a hard time breastfeeding someone told me how amazed they were that I was still doing it and what a gift I was giving my boys. The same goes for you mama! And even though I'm sure you know that, it does help to hear from others, you're doing a fantastic job!
Thank you for this. I cried when I read it. I am not a weak person but this whole situation has me on my knees begging for it to be over.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Chagen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Little guy had emergency hernia surgery today and it looks like we have encountered another set back in breastfeeding. He was starting to show signs of improvement... the last time I nursed him he did better than ever. I could see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Since his surgery today he has been unable to latch. I am hoping that has to do with the sedation but I feel like 'you use it or lose it' and he hasn't used it in over 24 hours now. My milk supply has also spontaneously dropped. I am now pumping 1 ounce less on each breast at each pump. I hope this is not the start of dwindling supply issues. I swear it is one thing after another around here and I really dont know how much more I can take. On a positive note, he is doing great over all and should be able to go home tomorrow.

Last edited by Chagen; 07-19-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Chagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
briannah
Registered Users

Poor mama and poor baby... I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope things are going better today for you... keep us updated. I really hope to hear good news next time you post.
briannah is offline   Reply With Quote