Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So Frustrated!! Prodromal labor..Will I really know I am in labor?

I need encouragement! Thursdsay at my almost 40 week checkup, today I am actually 40 weeks!, I was 4.5cm dialated. She did strip my membranes, but that didn't really do anything. Well on Friday, I started with menstrual cramping and feeling like my period was coming, and with SHOW and mucus. We live 45 minutes from the hospital so we decided that it must be coming soon and hung around at Families houses. More cramping and more show, I was definately thinning. My midwife checked several times and I am very very soft and about 50 % effaced. Today, more mucus and show. This is day 3 of this...no hard contractions at all. I am back at home now, frustrated, nervouse when it hits is will be fast and furious and I won't make it to the hospital, but I do not want an induction. How long can I go on like this seriously. We tried herbs and pumping...nothing. How long after having prodromal labor like this have you all gone into labor?
Thanks so much!

Update: STill no baby...at this point I feel like I won't even know when I really am in labor. I start contracting at night and by morning everything is over. How am I really gonna know this is it? Anyone?

Advertisement

Last edited by 2beauties; 07-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.
2beauties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
2beauties
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So Frustrated!! Prodromal labor..so close but so far away

bump
Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

I hear blue and black cohosh as well as red rasberry leaf tea are supposed to help! Oh and of course castor oil is often touted as a great way to tip a woman over the edge if she is close to going into labor. It sounds like you are close!

Hugs! Hope you get some good labor vibes soon!
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My labors were all like this to some degree...With my first is was a few days with my second maybe a day or 2...with my third is went on all day of and on and got me to a 6 from nothing without feeling it...It's a good thing by the time you start to feel them it'll be almost over...I don't think it'll happen so fast that you won't get to the hospital, but I would say use this time to rest cuz I would bet it's coming...I know how frustrating it is......
This may be TMI...but you and DH could always DTD...I'm told even by my OB that it can jumpstart things...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had prodominal labor for 8 days before my water broke on it's own. 2 hours later my contractions started and baby was born 24 hours later. I would only do herbs if you are doing them in the presence of a MW or Doctor. Cohosh did nothing for me, and RRL is a uterine toner, not a labor inducer. You're not late until past 42 weeks. Soon you'll have your baby, you won't be pregnant forever, even though it may seem that way
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I remember the frustration! Just try to look at it as getting to labor in little snatches! Your body really will end up doing SO much of the labor without you actualy being in hard labor.

My last two labors have been like this.

When actual labor hit, it went VERY fast IMHO.

With 1st DS, midwife came by our hotel at 9:30 pm, checked me and said
"Nope. Still not labor"

Somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00 I realized it WAS labor and my DS arrived at 12:01. We never made it out of the hotel room. It seriously seemed like I was only in labor for a few minutes.

DS#2 (4th child)
I knew labor would start since my water broke. Called midwife. She lives 45 minutes away and made it to my home with about 15 minutes to spare.

I'm hoping that with this one my body once again does a lot of the prep work for me. It IS a tad aggravating but it ends up being a blessing too!

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh, and I carry my kiddos until 42 weeks... The last 3 or 4 are spent gearing up
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
kkweight
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have sex.
The prostaglandins help encourage labor.

Also, walk stairs, the stepping up motion will help settle the baby's head lower and will help move things along.

The thing with castor oil is that it dehydrates the mom. And as a side effect of dehydration contractions start. So you can try it, but it it doesn't work just remember to rehydrate. And you may get the poops super bad.

The good thing about this all is that your a 4.5 and you've done it relatively pain free! Your almost halfway there without any hard labor. Some women spend hours laboring pretty hard just to get to where your at. So your body's doing it, slowly, but its doing it.

I suggest drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea. It feeds your placenta and tones your uterus. So drink as much as you can, it should help!
kkweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know its really frustrating - i had 2-3 weeks of active prodromal with my third and it was soooooooo testing! But the good news was he finally came and the labor was much easier and shorter than the two before it and less painful overall.

btw I got to 6.5-7 cm dilated and 80% effaced before I ever went into "labor"
Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh I know this is so hard!! The good news is that it will not go on forever. No woman has ever been pregnant forever. Hang in there! You're going to make it! I wouldn't worry about having to have any major induction! Your cervix is very, very favorable from what you are describing. Run your own bischop score: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_score It's only a matter of time, which is so miserable in the middle of July.