Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Chore Charts & Reward Charts

Every kid is different but for a 3 year old i would recommend a reward daily instead of weekly. It will probably work better and more quickly. Then maybe on his fourth birthday he can graduate to once a week!

Make the rewards small and fun for him. Easy for you to follow through on like an extra story at bedtime, or he gets to pick the dessert for the family after dinner, five stickers to put in his sticker book, 5 pennies for his penny jar, or you bake something together and he gets to pick what. Things like that.

Wendy :wave2: Single mama to Xander 5/12/05
turtle2who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

My DD is 4 1/2 and has some chores and some behavior things all on one chart. For example, make bed, clear table, no hitting, help mom, get ready for bed, etc. It's a premade wooden/magnetic chart (I think Melissa and Doug) and has all sorts of chores/behaviors for a variety of ages. It has a column at the end to put a picture if you completed the row of goals that week. (We consider completed now 6/7, we started lower. If she completes almost every goal that week, she gets to pick a fun trip for the next week. (We have memberships to several area places like childrens museums and the aquarium. When its warmer we include beach and park). We love going to all the places anyway, but it makes it special when she gets to pick. I'm sure as she gets older we will change to a small allowance. I plan on getting one more for DS when he gets a little older, esp since he loves to help.
Teneik~ Proud Navy Wife to Shaune and SAHM to Gabrielle (8/02) and Sebastian (11/05)
TeneikM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I haven't read through all of the replies but I just wanted to share what dh came up with as a reward system when I was looking for one to keep the boys on task and stuff. We took a medium plastic container (we reused the container some risotto rice came in) and put some blue construction paper in the bottom and cut a hole in the lid. We taped the lid on and attached it to a pc of poster board which dh decorated like the ocean with "goldfish" in it. We coated some dried lima beans in orange paint and let them dry and those are our "goldfish" that we reward the boys with when they're good or complete a task, etc. Right now its kinda under construction b/c the container came off the poster board and blablabla... We're trying to find the right kind of tape to adhere it to the board and something better to adhere it to the wall (without ruining it since we rent.) It was a lot of work but it really helps get them motivated. When they fill it up they get to chose a family "party" at Chuck E Cheese or Toobtown to celebrate. Then we empty it out and start all over!
Kristi, Mommy to Josh & Nick (identical twins 6-97) Nathen (3-02), Joey (2-04), Jacob (11-05) & Aaron (12-11) I sell Tupperware!
"A person's a person, no matter how small..." Dr Seuss
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

That's a neat idea I don't know if they'd get it yet, but definitely one to write down for the future!
Jenelle SAHM to Kain (01/27/04) Drake (08/22/05)
~*55 lbs lost, 25 to go!*~
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote