Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:
Help w/ Pronoun Reversal in Non-Autistic Toddler?

My DD, 27 months old, is huge on pronoun reversal. It's not just flipping "me" and "you" on the occasion. She says everything as I would say it to her.

Playing with a tower of blocks, she says, "Wow, sweetie! You made a really, really big tower. It has lots and lots of blocks! Will you count them with me? Okay, one, two, free..."

She asks to be held by saying, "Come here, sweetheart. I want to hold you and rock you."

She requests any object by saying, "Honey, did you want a ____? Say pwease and pank you!"

I've tried everything to correct the mistake. Here's a conversation from today.

Toddler- Do you want to eat a snack, Honey?

Me- No, I don't. Do YOU want to eat a snack?

Toddler- Did you want me to get you a snack? Say please?

Me- No, Honey. I don't want you to get me a snack. Do YOU want ME to get you a snack?

Toddler- Yes, pwease. You want me to get you a snack. Say pank you. You're welcome.

It's super-cute, but it really worries me. Her pediatrician said it was unusual but not a problem. I had her assessed by our local EI organization, and the speech pathologist said she seems extremely bright and that pronoun reversal isn't an autism sign in kids this young. She thought my DD may have Asperger's but that it's too early to diagnose.

So how do I get over this? Do I keep correcting her, or should I just let it go and enjoy it?

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
mama2twins
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help w/ Pronoun Reversal in Non-Autistic Toddler?

I don't have any expertise in this, by any means...but it sounds like she is just highly intelligent and very receptive in terms of language development. It's adorable, IMO, and it sounds like she very much looks up to you and is, in a way, playing make-believe with you--throughout the day! Super, super cute and a bright little girl. It's nothing I would worry about at this point, at all.
mama2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Hcm1940
Registered Users

It does sound cute! In my experience with my 2.5 yo dd I just continue to use proper speach, and she eventually self-corrects. I never correct her because I don't want her to feel frustrated or embarrassed. It takes them awhile to figure out when to use the pronouns correctly. Sometimes when I really want to work on something I come up with some exercises to do. For example, she used to say "mys" instead of mine, and so I started a game where we would grab stuff we liked and say, "mine!". She started saying "mys" at first, then mimicked me saying, " mine" and has ever since! I taught her to say it without making a big deal out of it (unlike dh who is always correcting her, sigh). Good luck!
Hcm1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
KaileyB2004
Registered Users

My Mood:

This may be her way of teaching herself... My son is autistic and he does repetitive speech and he'll come up and say "Help you honey". His speech therapist said its him learning to talk and all that.

I think you have an extreamly bright little girl on your hands. And creative
KaileyB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
supergirljennie
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it at all. It sounds like it's just her way of working out language.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that she will figure it out. For the longest time when my son needed help with something he would say "I need helpayou" and he eventually just started asking correctly, it was the cutest thing. We never corrected him or anything like that, just by talking to him and communicating with him, he did it himself. hth.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like she's literally repeating everything you say so I too wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't really sound like she's getting things mixed up more that she is deliberately saying these things because she hears you say them. Oh and its cute lol
Old 07-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2twins View Post
I don't have any expertise in this, by any means...but it sounds like she is just highly intelligent and very receptive in terms of language development. It's adorable, IMO, and it sounds like she very much looks up to you and is, in a way, playing make-believe with you--throughout the day! Super, super cute and a bright little girl. It's nothing I would worry about at this point, at all.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Just enjoy it. I'd continue to gently correct, but not get stressed or anything about it. It's adorable!