Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Talk to me about GMD *small* flats! Comparisions? Action shots?

I'm trying to figure out if they will fit both my baby and (small) toddler. The larges are way too big. I'm looking for a good quality (thick, soft) * bleached * flat for my skinny 7mo (barely 16lbs), and my short toddler (27-28lbs). My DH apparently doesn't like the look of unbleached flats and I don't want muslin or the thin ozocozy ones. I want something that is a true "OS" flat, not sized. I'm wondering if the small GMD would work for that. Are they a true square?

I usually kite fold, sometimes origami or padfold. We have LL right now and I love the size and thickness except that I want white, not unbleached. TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by FernHollow; 07-20-2010 at 12:20 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Talk to me about GMD *small* flats! Comparisions? Action shots?

I have the small and I don't think they will fit both your kiddos. They are IMO perfect for a newborn and small infant. They are too small for my 14 pound 4 month old to wear in anything other than padfolded. She does have a long rise but it's like a bikini on her LOL. I think the medium size is a perfect size but I know you said you did not like unbleached. Would you mind colored ones? Maybe you can dye them not white but some nice pastel colors.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
I have the small and I don't think they will fit both your kiddos. They are IMO perfect for a newborn and small infant. They are too small for my 14 pound 4 month old to wear in anything other than padfolded. She does have a long rise but it's like a bikini on her LOL. I think the medium size is a perfect size but I know you said you did not like unbleached. Would you mind colored ones? Maybe you can dye them not white but some nice pastel colors.
Hmm dyeing the unbleached in some pastel colors might work. Either that or back to my other idea of trimming down the large bleached with my serger. My Dh told me that the unbleached flats look "old and dingy" or some such nonsense and that he didn't understand why couldn't just have plain white ones. We are going back to using cloth 100% of the time and I promised dh I'd stick to just simple, plain white diapers only. I was hoping to find something in the right size in bleached without having to sew or dye, etc. as I've got a really busy schedule right now.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

the "smalls" are actually the size of MOST "regular" flats. Most don't offer "sized" flats so the GMD "smalls" are the regular size.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
girlymama0104
Registered Users
seller

I use the kite fold on my 5 month, 17-18ish pound ds. The small GMDs are essentially the same size as the Osocozy. I can't even tell a difference after I wash them all together unless I really study them. The GMD is just a tiny, tiny bit smaller.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Laydiebugs
Registered Users

No, GMD diapers are not squares after the initial shrinking (their site gives the shrunk dimensions which are quite accurate). However I've had no trouble kite or origami folding with them.

The unbleached mediums do "go white" when exposed to chlorine bleach. Maybe try those and bleach them?
Laydiebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
PierogiBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: ndebele
seller

I was just going to say you could bleach them on your own. And yeah, they aren't true squares, but I usually fold in the long side about 1" to make it square before I do my fold.

I have the GMD smalls, and I can get them on my 27lb 2.5yo, but it takes some creativity They work really well for my newbie though!

Feedback on thebabywearer.com under the same name
PierogiBaby is offline   Reply With Quote