Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
cole_b27
Registered Users
seller

Homeschool for 2 year old?

My DS is very active and loves doing new things. I wanted to start him on track with a "schooling" program now. Are there any recommendations? There are so many books out I just don't know where to start. Thanks Nicole!!

Advertisement

cole_b27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
granolamommie
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool for 2 year old?

At his age you really don't need much. Watch Sesame Street together and talk about it, read read read read read- then read some more. Do small counting activities together while you are doing something else. I.E. have him watch you cook and count the things you use or count his shoes or flowers or whatever is in his environment. Take him outside for nature walks and talk about the animals, bugs, flowers, trees, rocks, etc.

For a 2 year old the activies are really organic and part of daily life. My DD is 3 and 1/2 and we will start a few more things this year- we are doing letter flashcards cause she likes to learn letters and likes her sisters math flash cards. She already knows a lot of letter sounds. We are also tracing her name, counting cereal pieces, and other simple activities.
granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son will be 2 at the end of September and here is what I am planning...

I will be taking my son to Music Together class once a week with some friends from church. We will reinforce this at least once a week at another time (my son loves music)

I will be doing Your Baby Can Read with my son. My son started this last summer but because of my illness and a month long vacation, he didn't get the full effect of the program. So I will likely be doing this at an accelerated pace with him as he knows some of the things in the program.

I will also be using a baby Mandarin Chinese program with him that I found. I will be pairing this with incorporating the words into our lives as I learn them too. We will also be Skyping with my sisters who are in Chinese Charter schools on the other side of the country.

I will also be implementing some of the Letter of the Week program with him. http://www.letteroftheweek.com/Preparatory.html

However I plan on giving my son down time as well and if he seems like he doesn't want to do something I will be moving on to other things. We will also be doing prayer group (this I need every week... makes me feel more human and not like all I do all day is talk to my son) and play groups when we can. I would also like to continue with grocery shopping during the week as the weekends are normally filled with other things that need to get done.

The important thing for me is that this be fun learning geared just for him. I hope to start this right after labor day.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I chose Hands On Homeschooling for our 2 year old. Like pp said read, read, read, read, read and read again is SUPER important. So we are doing that and starting in Sept. HOH. Just reading throught the material sent to me, HOH seems super laid back and gives suggestions and ideas of things to do with your child. I don't know if you are looking for a Christian based program or not but HOH is Christian based and gives bible verses for the child to learn every week/month and bible stories to read. Basically it suggests doing three different activites a day whenever you are able to fit it into your schedule throughout the day and to only do it as long as the child is interested. She has a really great website if you are interested and the price is right (not overly expensive).
I am not a very creative person so this gives me some ideas of things/crafts/activites to do with my child at a no pressure time frame HTH's
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
gracenglory75
Registered Users
seller

In all my research, that is one I had not come across Hands on Learning yet! Thanks for posting.
I have an eclectic slew of workbooks for miraclegirl that I have used, and then come January, we're doing the official Abeka 3yr old curriculum with some Timberdoodle hands-on-stuff. But now I have to check this site out too!
Chuck's Bride. BF'ing, delayed vacc'ing, no circ'ing, CD'ing, gardening, natural living Mama to Miracle and Mason (2/7/11) with two angel babies, Daniel (8/05) and Nathaniel (7/13/09 ruptured ectopic pregnancy)
gracenglory75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also, there is a co-op going on right now for Kumon activity books. I am thinking of adding the workbooks for 2yr olds to go along with the HOH.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
sweetgrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracenglory75 View Post
In all my research, that is one I had not come across Hands on Learning yet! Thanks for posting.
I have an eclectic slew of workbooks for miraclegirl that I have used, and then come January, we're doing the official Abeka 3yr old curriculum with some Timberdoodle hands-on-stuff. But now I have to check this site out too!
Depending on how much we like the HOH I was thinking about Abeka or Sonlight for age 3. We shall see
Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
cmhodae
Registered Users

My Mood:

I looked into HOH as well and was planning on going with it because she does all the hard work of putting together lessons and providing printables. But then I found letteroftheweek.com/preparatory mentioned above and was amazed that it was FREE! I feel it is very detailed in the lessons and again all the hard work is done for you! I am printing out the lessons now and compiling a binder, planning to start in a few weeks. We will see how it goes. If it doesn't work for me, then I may try HOH. Good luck!
cmhodae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Well, my two cents here. IMO kids start formal schooling wayyyy too young. Why not just go with his natural curiosity for learning and make every day full of learning experiences? Kids that age do not need to learn how to read or do math or anything else structured. Let him be a kid. He will have to go to school for a good portion of his young life. My daughters never had any formal schooling before kindergarten and my middle daughter is super smart. If you start them to young, they get bored in Kindergarten because they know it all. If you're planning on homeschooling then you don't have to worry about that but still, let a child be a child. No offense to anyone, just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
cmhodae
Registered Users

My Mood:

I definitely see your point mom above. I didn't plan on really getting into anything with my 2 yr old but in the past year, she just soaks up everything around her. She already knows a good amount of sign language, shapes, letters, colors and is not even 2 yet. So I really felt pushed to keep challenging her. That's why I am trying something a bit more structured... but I feel like the structure is really more for me, to keep me accountable in really challenging her. We already think we are going to HS her through primary grades. But I see what you mean and agree with you. I think the letteroftheweek.com and HOH provide hands-on activities and lessons that they can be creative in and are not so structured.
cmhodae is offline   Reply With Quote