Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
granolamommie
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool for 2 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhodae View Post
I definitely see your point mom above. I didn't plan on really getting into anything with my 2 yr old but in the past year, she just soaks up everything around her. She already knows a good amount of sign language, shapes, letters, colors and is not even 2 yet. So I really felt pushed to keep challenging her. That's why I am trying something a bit more structured... but I feel like the structure is really more for me, to keep me accountable in really challenging her. We already think we are going to HS her through primary grades. But I see what you mean and agree with you. I think the letteroftheweek.com and HOH provide hands-on activities and lessons that they can be creative in and are not so structured.
That is good. I think the problem comes when we push kids beyond where they are ready or make it too much of their lives. Also, if you ARE doing some structured stuff, remember that it shouldn't be long- 20 minutes a day is plenty at that age.

Advertisement

granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #12
blackberry75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post
That is good. I think the problem comes when we push kids beyond where they are ready or make it too much of their lives. Also, if you ARE doing some structured stuff, remember that it shouldn't be long- 20 minutes a day is plenty at that age.
I love letter of the week! All the activities take maybe 30mins total, and you can break that up through out the day so it's not one lump of time. We skip the bible section here, but we're not religious at all. If your LO seems like she's not into, skip it and do it later, another day or not at all. No harm, no foul. It is soooo flexible. You can pick and choose what works for your LO, what they need to work on and skip ahead as necessary. I can't believe it's free! We where doing it faithfully everyday for a few months, but then I slacked off. So it's been a month or 2, and we just picked up right where we left off. Gman loves it. The craft ideas and print outs are nice too. It helps me stay structured and not repeat things till Gman gets bored or frustrated. We're doing the toddler one, just FYI. IMO, it satisfies their natural desire to learn w/o being overwhelming or to structured.

Last edited by blackberry75; 07-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

We found some old library books for new readers through 2nd grade. Our boy loves the pictures and the short stories. We try to read to him every day. The best part the books were free or very cheap since the library did not want them.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Take nature walks and talk a lot to him. Walk around your neighborhood and point out trees, bushes, birds, airplanes, different kinds of houses, etc. Like, "That's a red bird, it's called a cardinal, they eat worms, Yuck!" "That house has two stories and that one has one, like ours." "What color is that truck? White!" Make it fun and exciting and exploratory. Give him a basket and go out and 'collect' things, like leaves, rocks, roly polys, grass, flowers, bird feathers, whatever, just talk a lot to him and make it fun. Every night, I'd go out and say look at the moon, it's full, like a big circle, or it's a crescent moon, isn't it pretty, or owls come out only at night and eat mice. Stuff like that. You can teach them anytime of day and it doesn't have to be at a desk. My two year old shocked her dad one night and said, "Look at the crescent moon!" and she was right. She never told me that, but she absorbed it and had fun with nature. I sing all the time to them, learning songs, number songs, ABC's, etc. Buy a cd if you don't know them like I did and you'll have them memorized quickly. Buy them the foam letters and numbers for the bath tub and repeat only a couple of them a night or their color depending on their level. I feel my kids learned a lot from playdo as well. Hand manipulation, colors, the smell, texture, cutting it with a plastic play knife or scissors, rolling it up, making a ball, etc. I would save different textured materials and compare them, like bubble wrap, fleece strips, velcro, rubber bands, etc, put them in a jar and have them manipulate all of them to compare them. Talk to them about each of them like, this is hard, this is soft, this is sticky, etc. You can even have a jar of beads and string and string beads. These are all wonderful skills to learn and will prepare their hands for writing and better coordination. I always give my oldest money (since she was 3), like a dollar or quarters and make her spend it. I'd say, "Put your quarter in the slot to get your candy. Or give the lady your dollar, please." By holding it for awhile, I felt like she can memorize the look of it and realize you by things with it. She's very responsible with the little money I always give her. It's no big deal to her b/c I give it to her all the time as a learning tool. When it's time to formally teach them, they'll know soo much more than you think, it's crazy. The second my kids looked bored, fidgety or looking around too much, I'd stop and change the activity. I never want them to hate learning. They'll have to sit and behave for long periods of time when they are 5 and in the kindergarten program, but not until then. It's very no pressure until 5, in my opinion.
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

oooh i like what designsbybequi said

so true!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm thankful to have found this thread. Lately I've been feeling like a slacker because I don't have my 2-year-old enrolled in a preschool/MDO program. I think I'm the only one out of 5-6 other moms in my playgroup who doesn't (and they're almost all SAHMs, mind you). I was going to wait until next year because we don't have $100+/month to shell out right now for that, and I figure by then she'll have less need for a nap and a bit more of an attention span to handle more structured learning. There are slightly cheaper programs, but they're also nearly 30 minutes from my house, so I'd make up the difference in gas.

My DD seems to get the most out of someone reading to her one-on-one and teaching her songs, as she goes around trying to quote books and sing songs. She also knows all of the ABCs (and can halfway sing the song), her numbers 1-20 (we're working on 21-30), 9 colors, most of her shapes, practically every common animal and the sound it makes, her body parts, etc. And she can talk in simple sentences. Just getting her out in the world and experiencing it seems to be the best educator at this age. She's right on par with her "preschooled" peers, if not a bit ahead.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I totally agree with non-pressure life-application-learning. My youngest is just 5 and at my daughter's neurologist appt today drew a picture of a dog and the word MOM on it. He said 'Look, it says MOM'. I asked if he could spell dog. Sure enough he did. "easy peasy," he said.

Now, here's the part that is amazing. I have not formally trained him in anything but recognizing the letters & sounds! He's getting it just by the way we interact. When a word hits his interest, he asks what it is and I sound it out together with him.

Just be careful when worrying about what everyone else is doing with their preschoolers or kids. Because everyone else's kids have ulcers, are sleep deprived, stressed out and unable to cope with life anymore at a younger & younger age. They no longer know how to learn and play like kids anymore. This innocence is lost earlier and earlier.

Is your goal to have the smartest kid in the community to prove your homeschooling ability? Or is your goal to raise up a well-balanced and HAPPY person, confident in who they are and what they do no matter what others say about them?

my goal with my kids is to raise them to have curiosity and a thirst to learn more. All too often a curriculum or class teaches people enough to memorize and regurgitate for a test then to dump the info to make room for the next Unit. That doesn't seem like learning to me.

My one daughter read an article about bluebirds last week. Guess what? She has already looked online on what books to get from the library and is making a list on materials to make bluebird houses with her siblings and a couple of other homeschool friends! She is 12.

We call that a homeschool lesson that is child-driven. She will remember this forever and she is developing skills in researching and teaching her siblings & friends all she has learned. And we may eventually get some protected bluebirds in our back yard!

anyway, there I go again. I just get so worried when I see parents so obsessed with making sure their kids know more than anyone else that it seems the real goals of teaching/parenting are forgotten in the race towards high test scores.
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project

Last edited by madebytrudi; 08-03-2010 at 04:22 PM.
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
granolamommie
Registered Users

madebytrudi- That is so awesome. It sounds like my nephew- I asked my preschooler what letter octogon started with (she happened to tell me the clock was an octogon and I didn't know she knew what an octogon was, she thought it started with an a) and he yelled- o!
granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two year old daughter will just begin learning letter and number (1-10) recognition this year. We also will work on mastering all of the colors. We read a lot as well. I also have a first grader who is homeschooled so she gets to be around learning all the time!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #20
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMO, the program for a 2 year old is you...mother. Take this time to establish a strong relationship with respect and love and gratitude. They learn by imitation, so give them nourishing things to copy.

Find the best rhythm (daily, weekly, monthly schedule) that flows best for you all. This sounds simple, but can be quite a challenge through life changes, and the more stable you both are, the easier the changes will be. Sing, sing, sing, and sing through the transitions.

Everyday, model creative expressions...draw with crayons or paint with paints. Explore with fingerpaints and play-doh and other tactile experiences often. Practice hand-eye coordination games and toys. Fingerplays and sign language help with brain development and midline crossing. Read lots of stories and check out library books based on his interests and what you see in the world around you. Tell stories about your life and family.

Life skills and safety are good to practice. It doesn't matter if your baby can count if he runs in front of a swing or in the road. Play "Stop-Go/Red Light-Green Light" to practice listening to Mom. Try to be in nature as much as possible and go on nature walks. Have him help you with cleaning and cooking as much as you can allow.

If I could go back in time, I would have spent that early age researching and preparing. Find his learning style and your teaching style. There are so many hs curriculums out there because there are so many different styles of teaching and learning. Find what resonates best with you. There's classical, Charlotte Mason, Waldorf, Montessori, unit studies, secular, Christian, etc. Check out all of your curriculum options so that when homeschooling has to get more formal and reported, you'll know what will be the best choices. And even if you love the program, he may not. So, finding what kind of learning he likes best can make everything easier in the future.

Some books and cds to check out are:
You Are Your Child's First Teacher
Slow and Steady Get Me Ready
Before Five In A Row
100 Top Picks for Homeschooling Curriculum
Naturally Three
Seven Times The Sun
Sing Through The Seasons
Wee Sing Songs

Last edited by MamaLove; 08-04-2010 at 01:46 AM.
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote