Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #21
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Homeschool for 2 year old?

I have a 2.5 yr old. I plan on loosly following the letter of the week curriculum, doing some arts and crafts, library story time, and lots of reading books. I'm also gonna use one of those big preschool calendars as part of a morning routine. So I'm gonna structure myself, in that I'll have several of activities along one theme prepared, but let my son lead the way in what he's interested in. He soaks up knowledge so easily at this age and just really enjoys the one on one time with mommy!

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschool for 2 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebytrudi View Post
I totally agree with non-pressure life-application-learning. My youngest is just 5 and at my daughter's neurologist appt today drew a picture of a dog and the word MOM on it. He said 'Look, it says MOM'. I asked if he could spell dog. Sure enough he did. "easy peasy," he said.

Now, here's the part that is amazing. I have not formally trained him in anything but recognizing the letters & sounds! He's getting it just by the way we interact. When a word hits his interest, he asks what it is and I sound it out together with him.

Just be careful when worrying about what everyone else is doing with their preschoolers or kids. Because everyone else's kids have ulcers, are sleep deprived, stressed out and unable to cope with life anymore at a younger & younger age. They no longer know how to learn and play like kids anymore. This innocence is lost earlier and earlier.

Is your goal to have the smartest kid in the community to prove your homeschooling ability? Or is your goal to raise up a well-balanced and HAPPY person, confident in who they are and what they do no matter what others say about them?

my goal with my kids is to raise them to have curiosity and a thirst to learn more. All too often a curriculum or class teaches people enough to memorize and regurgitate for a test then to dump the info to make room for the next Unit. That doesn't seem like learning to me.

My one daughter read an article about bluebirds last week. Guess what? She has already looked online on what books to get from the library and is making a list on materials to make bluebird houses with her siblings and a couple of other homeschool friends! She is 12.

We call that a homeschool lesson that is child-driven. She will remember this forever and she is developing skills in researching and teaching her siblings & friends all she has learned. And we may eventually get some protected bluebirds in our back yard!

anyway, there I go again. I just get so worried when I see parents so obsessed with making sure their kids know more than anyone else that it seems the real goals of teaching/parenting are forgotten in the race towards high test scores.
what she said
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote