Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
girlymama0104
Registered Users
seller

Re: ACOG revises VBAC guidelines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
This is fantastic to read! I'm due to VBA2C any day now- and we were lucky to have found BOTH a hospital OB and a HB Midwife to agree to VBA2C me!!! We chose the HB- but it's good to know that there are some practices that are 'ahead of the times' in VBAC. (We also ran into MANY practices that wouldn't even consider it unless you have had at least 1 vaginal birth before a VBA2C, and many that wouldn't even consider a VBA2C regardless of the circumstances).

Thanks for posting!
This is what I encountered, too. If I had had one vaginal, I would have been able to attempt VBA2C with the midwife group. Our state also allows homebirth midwifes to (legally) provide only with one prior vaginal if you had more than one c/s. I am sure there are midwives out there that would do it anyway, but I wasn't comfortable with it.

Good luck to you! I hope you have an amazing VBA2C!

Advertisement

Last edited by girlymama0104; 07-21-2010 at 06:56 PM.
girlymama0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

I heard Dr. Waldman speak like a month ago at the annual ACNM meeting. I think he's married to a Nurse Midwife. The relationship between ACOG and ACNM is headed in a warm direction. This makes me happy, especially as a VBACer myself.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Mom2frick&frack
Registered Users

My Mood:

Such great news! And long overdue. Now we just have to get insurance carriers that insure the doctors to allow them to perform VBACs. Most of them will not allow a Dr to perform one.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great news, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another reason to TTC!!! I am so glad to hear drs supporting vbacs!
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I am not jumping for joy. I have been in the pregnancy scene for 16 years now. My twins were delivered by c/s. W/ my second pregnancy I planned a VBAC, which was a HBAC. Women were completely encouraged to VBAC. Then it all changed b/c there were ruptures in VBAC moms, most often related to induction, specifically by cytotec. Instead of not inducing VBAC moms they said all VBACs were unsafe and stated they no longer supported VBAC b/c it was unsafe. Now they change their stance *again*. But what is millions of uneccessary surgeries on women? Honestly, how can women trust the ACOG? How can we put our bodies into their hands? It isn't their stance on VBAC that needs to change, but the whole system, until they view birth as a normal event women will continue to get cut uneccessarily.

Last edited by Mamatoabunch; 07-22-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Mamatoabunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #17
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Honestly, how can women trust the ACOG? How can we put our bodies into their hands? It isn't their stance on VBAC that needs to change, but the whole system, until they view birth as a normal event women will continue to get cut uneccessarily.
I hear you, mama. It's my hope that their recommendation will change the way that OBs (and even midwives who are dependent on OBs for backup care) view VBAC. I agree with you that the root of the problem is that the birth establishment views the birthing woman as a ticking time bomb, but perhaps these guidelines will relax the absurd shackles that have been put on so many women unnecessarily. The stories of women coerced into cesareans really haunt me. Here's hoping for less of that!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #18
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
I hear you, mama. It's my hope that their recommendation will change the way that OBs (and even midwives who are dependent on OBs for backup care) view VBAC. I agree with you that the root of the problem is that the birth establishment views the birthing woman as a ticking time bomb, but perhaps these guidelines will relax the absurd shackles that have been put on so many women unnecessarily. The stories of women coerced into cesareans really haunt me. Here's hoping for less of that!
I hope so too. I think women need to stop putting their pregnancies and births in the hands of surgeons, women are the voice of change ultimately, it is in our hands. It is the reason I never went back to a surgeon to do such a simple job of birthing a baby, I stayed home.