Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Afternoon Naps

Hi, mamas! My nearly 14 month old son naps great in the morning, but he has been really fighting afternoon naps for a couple of weeks now. We do our usual routine when he starts showing his sleepy signs - usually 3-4 hours after he wakes up from his 1st nap. He'll nurse, get almost to sleep, then pop up ready to play. If I take him out of the room so he can play, he cries and wants to nurse as soon as I put him down. If we stay in the room, he'll roll and tumble on the bed for 20-30 minutes, nurse again until he's almost asleep, then it starts again. Sometimes this goes on for 2 hours until he *finally* gives in and sleeps. He'll nap a little while in his crib but will wake up crying unconsolably until I nurse him again, at which point he sleeps for another hour or so as long as he is in my arms. This is so strange to me because he naps so well in the morning. Our entire afternoons are being consumed by this, so we have to figure out something! I've started a log for our afternoons to see if I can pinpoint a trigger. Do any of you have any suggestions that might help? We prefer gentle, non-crying methods. Thanks for reading

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Afternoon Naps

SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like he doesn't need it anymore . Have you tried pushing his normal nap back by an hour or two, and getting rid of the afternoon nap? THen you could bump up bedtime a bit.
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
briannah
Registered Users

Good question! We are going through the same thing with our just one year olds! Frustrating when they are showing the tired signs though and just not wanting to go to sleep. I'm wondering if they don't need it as well... but I can't imagine trying to push back their morning nap. And we have tried skipping the afternoon nap, but it doesn't ever work out, they end up waking up an hour or so after going to bed and wanting to be up (I think they think that is their "nap." So, I have no advice to offer. But wanted to let you know we are going through the same thing (and same EXACTLY, nurse to sleep but then pop up awake). I'm sleeping with them in the afternoons a lot and then they will sleep longer and I need the extra sleep since they are waking up lots at night right now. So, you could try that for a while, until he is ready to have just one nap a day.
briannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveprek View Post
Sounds like he doesn't need it anymore . Have you tried pushing his normal nap back by an hour or two, and getting rid of the afternoon nap? THen you could bump up bedtime a bit.
I second this. My dd was about a year when I transitioned to one nap a day and it just happened to solve ALL of our sleep problems, day and night. She started sleeping straight from 7 pm until 7 am, nap from 12 to 2. It was amazing! Prior to that she napped 10-12 and 2-4 but night time was rough. I'm all about that switch to one nap. Plus, it really frees up your days so you can get out and do something besides nap.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 15 months on the 28th, and I'm cutting that 2nd nap. He's doing well. If he doesn't have a long enough afternoon nap for whatever reason, he gets crabby, and tonight he actually went to sleep at 7:30 instead of 8:30. But I try to lay him down around 11-12, and he'll usually sleep 1-2 hours. I think it *could* be longer, but he still wants me to stick around so he can use me as a pacifier, and so sometimes he wakes a little earlier for whatever reason.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by briannah View Post
... but I can't imagine trying to push back their morning nap. And we have tried skipping the afternoon nap, but it doesn't ever work out...
Yes! Same thing here. I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one. DS practically begs for his morning nap. And if we skip the afternoon nap, it's all I can do to get dinner ready because he's just so tired and cranky. If I even give him 5-10 minutes to sleep anytime after 5pm, his bedtime gets all messed up. One nap a day sure sounds nice, though. I guess I'll try keeping him up a little longer in the mornings to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice, everyone!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorahsMom View Post
I second this. My dd was about a year when I transitioned to one nap a day and it just happened to solve ALL of our sleep problems, day and night. She started sleeping straight from 7 pm until 7 am, nap from 12 to 2. It was amazing!
Oh my, this does sound amazing! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that our transition works out as well as your did!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Lexy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Take out one. My 11mo. old only takes one nap a day and has for a few months now. He is pretty cranky about an hr. before scheduled nap and an hr. before scheduled bedtime, but I don't put him down. I occupy him or hold him a lot to make it to that time. So he usually goes down about 1230-1 and sleeps like 3-4hrs.!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

14-22 months is the age of transitioning to one nap. I cut that morning nap to 1.5 hours, then an hour. I find it really tough to all of a sudden ask my child to make it to noon or 1 for a nap when they are accustomed to napping in the morning. By the time they are ready to drop it altogether, seems like 18-20 months is the most popular age for that, many will take a 3 hour afternoon nap. . DS2 didn't drop his AM nap entirely until 24 months, and at 28 months still naps 1:30-4 or 4:30. We love it.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote