Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Looking for yummy/simple recipes using fresh ground flour

We are hoping to purchase a grain mill in the near future. I plan to purchase my baking supplies in bulk next year so I've been doing some planning ahead as to how much of this or that I will need to order. I am having a hard time figuring what I will need for my bread making. I want to use hard white berries as I don't think my family would care for the red ones. We are very used to white breads so I want to find recipes that make a soft, sandwichy type bread that doesn't have a taste that will scare my kiddos away LOL. I've found some but they call for all kinds of things that are really going to add up buying in bulk like lots of olive oil, vitamin C powder and Whey powder. I want something with minimal ingredients but healthy I do plan to have raw honey, rapadura and sucanat, yeast and maybe some spelt on hand. Perhaps some vital wheat gluten if I see that is important??

Also I keep seeing recommendations for the Bosh mixer to mix this all. It looks great but I just don't see that fitting into the budget after buying the mill. Why do I keep seeing this? I've made regular bread by hand lots of times with no trouble. Does it suddenly get harder making it with fresh ground flour We are a family of 6 that likes bread but is $400 worth it?? Also I don't have a bread machine so bread machine recipes won't help THANKS!

Advertisement

Earthmama97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

Re: Looking for yummy/simple recipes using fresh ground flour

You sound like you're doing Nourishing Traditions like me?!?! Ok, here are my favorite websites: www.heavenlyhomemaker.com . She has great bread recipes...also www.passionatehomemaking.com www.nourishedkitchen.com . And my favorite one www.gnowfglins.com
Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
ariannasmommy22
Registered Users
seller

I don't think a mixer is really worth it...IMO. It's not hard at all to mix the dough by hand and most recipes you only have to knead it for 5 minutes or so.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks SO much. Those sites look fantastic! I do like Nourishing Traditions. I just had it out on Library loan scribbling down recipes since I can't afford to buy it right now Lots of good stuff!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

I just posted a recipe on my blog for tortillas with fresh ground Kamut - super tasty! Spelt is great for homemade shortcake ... we use hard white wheat for bread, its definitely lighter then hard red wheat. DH bought SOFT white wheat for me once, but that's a little too soft for bread... you'll just have to experiment and see what works for you! My bread recipe doesn't contain all the extra stuff, just oil, flour, etc. no gluten etc. I do have a Bosch, but you can still do it by hand, especially if you've done it before, the fresh flour doesn't change it.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Earthmama97
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much Christy, those look fantastic! We make a lot of tortillas here so that would be great to have a healthier version. I really appreciate you sharing
Old 07-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like hard white for bread and soft white for everything else. I use a breadmaker though, so I can't help you with recipes.