Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Moving to Brownsville, any mamas there with any advice?

We are moving to Brownsville around August 1st from Florida! We have only ever driven through Texas so this is a huge change for us. I need advice on good ob/gyn's because I am 27 weeks pregnant and will need one when I get there. Also need advice on where to look for a place to rent (other than craigslist) before we get there! Anybody have any help or advice to give?

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Poppymama
Registered Users

Re: Moving to Brownsville, any mamas there with any advice?

You might try posting this on Mothering in the finding your tribe section. I think there a couple of mamas in the valley.
Poppymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

mdc? thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

When we moved to Austin, we stayed in an extended stay hotel then the kids and I drove around DH's work looking at apartment complexes and such and were able to look at the papers and stuff and see things in person. I know some papers have classifieds on line so you might try that. This is the chain we stayed at. Not a lot of amenities, but clean and not expensive and they have washer/dryers and a kitchen (well, sort of, a 2 burner stove top, a refrigerator and a microwave...add a toaster oven and it worked for our family of 5 for a few weeks. So if all else fails:
http://www.valueplace.com/extended-s...rownsville-TX/
Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama We did finally find a house and signed the lease today. Now I have to find a good ob and hospital to deliver at. We are moving to Laguna Vista which is way nicer than Brownsville thank goodness!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Jessmomto2
Registered Users
seller

Hi, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I don't come on diaperswappers much anymore. I live in Edinburg which is about an hour from Brownsville. I don't really know much about the obs in Brownsville but I do know that their c section rate is like 50% or greater at the hospital in Brownsville. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. There's a good birthing center in Weslaco which would be about 40 mins-ish away. There's a good midwife that practices in Harlingen's hospital. Feel free to PM me if you like. : )

and always in our hearts, our dear grandmother Neena 7/23/32-7/3/08
Jessmomto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks mama! I moved to Laguna Vista so I'm about 15-20 min from Brownsville near Port Isabel and South Padre Island. I did find a good OB but don't like the sound of the csec rate here! I have had all vaginal births and plan to this time too (though I think this lil lady has gotten herself transverse again and I'll be 36 weeks friday )
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Jessmomto2
Registered Users
seller

I would make sure that I went over and over and over with the OB what my birth plan was. Almost all births in our area include pitocin and epidural which then lead to the high c section rate. My mom has a good friend that lives in Laguna Vista. I hope you're able to get little one turned head down. Try the hand and knees position. Like I said before, there is a midwife in Harlingen that works at the hospital there. : )

Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Baltic Creations
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh man I have noticed you have to put your foot down with these drs! I outright refused the glucose test this time around because it makes me incredibly sick and I swear since I got here this drs office has kept tying to get me to do it. Again today I refused it and they finally got the picture because they had me sign a consent form stating I refused it. Hello I'm 36 weeks already what would be the point now anyhow? And of course the dr thinks I am measuring small (32 weeks instead of 36 based on a normal pregnant woman) I never show never have so I know Im not measuring small. Then she had a u/s to check baby's weight which was 5lbs 3oz estimated which for me is totally normal but on their charts was only in the 25th percentile. she's only estimated to be 1.5oz smaller than my DS2 was at birth when he was induced at 37 weeks so to me she is right on target. But drs know everything lol

I have had to had pitocin with all of my deliveries so that part I am used to and epidurals were given with each one (though the last one failed) hopefully this lil lady will decide she doesnt need any help coming out and I can skip all that but I will definitely refuse a csection completely unless there is a dire need. I did find out she is still vertex so not sure what she was doing when she felt transverse except I think she may have done some sort of flip because my last u/s she was back to the right and this time she had her back on the left...Definitely trying to keep her in this position thanks so much for the heads up though. Ill know I may have to get stern with the drs in my refusal to have a csection (which I can do rather well lol)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Jessmomto2
Registered Users
seller

That's good, I'm glad you can be stern! What some drs don't understand is that someone has to be in the 25th percentile. : ) Babies come in all shapes and sizes and huge doesn't necessarily equal healthy. I tend to have babies in the 6 1/2 lb range myself. Which hospital are you going to?