Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:
kids' Homeschool magazine project needs help

I haven't been around here much because life is so filled with daily chaos with the kids, I don't get here much.

Anywho, I am an 'unschooling' mom with 5 kids and this year we have decided to focus on writing and have started a magazine. Kind of like Highlights for Kids, but for homeschoolers (and anybody else that wants to be involved). I plan to help them with the first couple issues until they fully understand the process and graphic arts part of it. Hopefully they learn quickly! LOL!

So, their dream is to get other homeschoolers involved in submitting and sharing information. This is to help everyone learn more about writing in a life-application sort of way. We've also found that kids learn when they teach each other what they are learning.

Here's the blurb we've put together:

Here is the link to get our first issue of Lend Me Your Pen magazine: http://www.lendmeyourpen.magcloud.com/ (right now they have a sale and it is only $2.95). This is a paper printed magazine that is high quality. It is not very large right now because the kids were running out of ideas, but it is packed with a lot of interesting things to get people's ideas inspired.

It looks fantastic and the kids did a great job! I wish we could publish it for free, but cannot afford it right now and the file is too large to send via email so we have gone this route. The printing company does an excellent job and uses high quality magazine paper. We are also going to put together a blog or website for announcements, requests and hopefully videos of the kids demonstrating a project or recipe or something.

We would like to get more involvement from others in our next issue. Here are some ideas of things we would like to receive from you and/or your kids:
Book reviews/reports,
Recipes,
Science project
Creative story
Poems
Drawings, photos, picture of something you created
Interview someone
Reports on something you are learning about or love to do
Reviews on curriculum or products you use
Puzzles, cartoons, mazes, activities, art projects
Etc,

If your kids are unable to read or write, let them tell you and you write their words for them! I have a daughter that is a slow learner with health issues and she told a story to her older sister who typed it out. It really opened my eyes about her own personal struggles and made me cry a little. So don't let ability or disability stop the creativity.

Here is a special request for the next issue of Lend Me Your Pen magazine (due by August 10):

Draw a picture of this scenario in a creative & unique interpretation:

My 2 boys were eating tuna noodle salad. The older one does not like mayonnaise and was grumbling. The younger brother, quite smartly, tells his older sibling “You should eat that. It will make you grow into a man. You know, because it has MAN-naise in it!”

If you have scanning capabilities you can send it to : lendmeyourpen@gmail.com

Or you can send the pictures to our address:

LMYP
10850 North Ct.
Allendale, MI 49401

If you want the image mailed back, please include a self addressed stamped envelope and make sure you put your name on the back!

Please forward this to anybody you think would be interested in this project! The kids are hoping this will explode and become a homeschooling helping tool for everyone. Eventually, we'll get sponsors to donate prizes for contests. But that is all in the future.

We'd also like parents to submit their ideas too.

Advertisement

homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project

Last edited by madebytrudi; 07-22-2010 at 07:19 PM.
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
DoubleTroubleMamma
Banned

My Mood:
Re: kids' Homeschool magazine project needs help

Awesome idea! My guys are just about to turn 5 & we are officially kicking off our homeschooling adventure They aren't writing yet, but are super creative w/the storytelling & artwork- making a contribution to your magazine would so much fun for them
DoubleTroubleMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

That would be so AWESOME!

My 5 yo drew a picture to submit and my 6 & 9 yo dictated a story and others wrote it for them. I really want the little ones and slower learners to have a big part in this too. To see my 9 you constantly look at her story with pride just makes my heart glow. I believe this will instill a level of fortitude to want to learn to read more so she can read her own story!

If you order the magazine, you will see the different ways the kids can submit. My boys found an owl pellet outside the dr office and we took pictures of them disecting it. The older one talked about what he was doing and I wrote it down! Or taking a picture of something they made with clay or sticks! The idea is all about creativity having no boundaries!

It is so hard to explain the vision unless you see it in person. You can get a glimpse of the pages at the link above.

Eventually we'd like to have videos on a website and I think it would be neat to have the little ones tell their stories and the older ones to give a demonstration. who knows what will evolve, but we're ready for the ride!

Last edited by madebytrudi; 07-22-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you mind if I post this within my homeschool group?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

PLEASE pass this on to anybody you think would be interested!

Last edited by madebytrudi; 07-23-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
rdossmann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just bought my first issue. I can't wait to see it. I am just now getting my feet wet with HSing. I have a 4 yr old, 2 1/2 yr old, and 8 months. I am a little nervous, but excited at the same time. I don't even know where to begin with a 4 yr old. I need structure, but don't want it too structured...does that make sense? Anyway, I bought your kids' magazine as an inspiration to what I can get my kids to do...it is late so i don't even know if this is making sense....
Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks Mama!! You'll find your own path that will suit your family! I started very structured and have slowly morphed into this learning adventure most would call 'chaos'. But it suits us and thankfully, our state has no strict regulations on what is considered 'learning'.

Just remember who has taught your LO to speak, crawl, walk, eat, sing, dress themselves, put a movie in the VCR, swing, etc. I'm sure you are off to a grand start and don't even realize it!

The best way to teach is to always be talking with your kids. "Can you find an A?" is so easy to do when you are driving around the parking lot.

Stop and watch a butterfly or the ants and talk about what they are doing. Ask them questions to get their thoughts too.

Read to them. Dr Seuss is AWESOME. Show them one word that is common in the book (ie: mother in 'Are you my Mother?' story) and have them find that word on each page and have them say the word when you come up to it. It makes reading like a game then!

Don't be afraid to buy a curriculum book and find you don't like it after a month or so. Pass it on to someone else or swap it with another family. What works for others may not work for you. OR maybe the beginning of the curriculum was perfect, but then it became 'stupid' or not working for your kids (this happened a LOT to me!). Don't be afraid to stop and switch.
(I personally like Flash Kids. Cheap and found at Barnes & Nobles for $20)

Keep records of what you are doing if your state requires it. You are always teaching, so your homeschooling hours can add up if you have to keep tabs on your 'schooling hours'. If you go to a science museum, call that SCIENCE CLASS. Some classes are automatically a given: you teach your LO to wash their hands & get dressed & such = health class. If you have pets that easily can equal a science or biology class because by taking care of the animals they are learning about life. Same thing with planting a garden. Keep them involved and talk to them about what & why & how. As the plants are changing, I continually ask my kids to identify the plants and about photosynthesis and pollination, etc. It doesn't have to be DETAILED. C'mon, how much do you remember from gradeschool? I'll be you remember everything your gramma taught you in the kitchen or garden! We even work on identifying weeds because we are also learning herbalism for teas and making lotions and such.

We've butchered ducks & rabbits and had the kids explore the insides and I explained what the parts were. We called that dissection class. Even for the little ones. If you need to keep records of things like that that are not a 'curriculum', write the date down and a brief explanation of what they did.

We use our every day activities as learning. Cooking very easily teaches math, esp when doubling recipes, and so does shopping. My little ones are learning about money by reading the prices on different items and at times they'll buy themselves something small and we work together to find the right amount of money. They also learn etiquette when they purchase things too. We'll get the weekly ads and cut out pictures of the food that start with each letter of the alphabet. You can do that with the numbers too by finding all the prices and put them in order.

Books are SO limited so do NOT limit yourself to them!

Here's something easy: Find Ray's Arithmetic series. I believe he has a whole curriculum from k-8th grade. It is actually the school books from the 1800's. Very simple, yet so powerful because it teaches life application math. I don't have the english ones yet, but have heard a lot of good things.

Here's a quick link talking about them: http://www.dollarhomeschool.com/raysarithmetic/index.html.

The part I like is what someone described to me: The best way to learn math problems is to copy and write the problems down : 1+1=2, etc. Writing the CORRECT answers down reinforces the correct answer. By giving a page of problems where the kid will get a lot wrong answers only reinforces wrong answers.

The math is based on 1800 prices so you'll also get some history. Eggs cost 2 cents back then! Anyway, it is something to look into that won't break your budget at all. I think each book is $5 or cheaper if you search online a bit.

Oh gee, there I went again! LOL! So sorry. Can you tell I really LOVE this?! I think I will start a blog about our homeschooling to help show others how easy it is to teach just by living and talking to the kids.

Constantly encourage your kids. Even if they aren't getting something. If you stress, they will stress and learning decreases quickly. Make learning more like fun and they'll love it forever. My goal is to instill a desire to learn in my kids. Teach them that learning is everywhere and if we don't know something, we go to the library or search online. That is why we are writing this magazine too. (Thank you for your purchase!! The kids are SO excited each time one is bought!). We want to show others that learning is fun and is everywhere!

Please let me know what you think of the magazine and if you have any requests or ideas! The first one is small just to get it out there and started. The next one is going to be larger and more involved.

My 2 eldest are fighting about who gets to write one of the articles! Who'd a thunk they'd fight over a writing assignment?! ahhhh.. if they only knew they were doing school.....

Last edited by madebytrudi; 07-28-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

The magazine now has a facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...8429876?ref=ts

for updates and other things as it evolves! Thanks for those positive comments from those that have received their mag!