Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
mommyto2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your DH/So help with homeschooling?

I'll have to get back to you on the schooling part since we haven't started yet. But he helped pick out the curriculm....I did lots of research and emailed the ones that I liked then we went on from there to narrow it down.

He knows I want him as involved as possible (which will be hard with his job)

But so far most of the little work I've done, like figuring out what kind of supplies we need to buy and going through her books, copying papers...all the little "get ready" stuff

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Addies_momma
Registered Users

DH only works 4 days a week so he offered to teach DS the 1 day a week he is home. He is "in charge" of DS' bible study,etc. for the week, he knows alot more than I do anyways, he's been a Christian muuuch longer so I think he's probably better for the job.

It really meant alot to me when he volunteered because he was sooo against homeschooling for a long time, until he saw how much (and how fast) DS was learning!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, My husband helps a little but mainly he will grab a math book and say, "here, do these 2 pages." I keep telling him that our daughter needs more interaction than that! She is 7 and we have now homeschooled for one school year. Going on the 2nd now...We also had a baby right in the beginning of the school year last fall so it was a rocky start...I think 2nd grade for her will much better! I just don't think He understands that she is still so young!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #14
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's my job. His job keeps him gone for 14 hours everyday. He couldn't help even it he wanted. When daddy's home, it's play time!
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post
It's my job. His job keeps him gone for 14 hours everyday. He couldn't help even it he wanted. When daddy's home, it's play time!
This is basically us, too. DH leaves the house at 5:45 AM and gets home around 5-6 PM depending on what's going on at work that day. He has to be in bed by 9:30 PM at the latest in order to get enough sleep and the kids are in bed no later than 8:30, so the few hours we get to see him on weekdays are spent enjoying dinner together, relaxing, and playing!

He loves to read to the kids though, and DS especially loves it because DH will take well-loved stories and change the words to be gross or adventurous or whatever else tickles a 6 year old boy's fancy. Listening to them laugh and giggle during bedtime story time is fantastic.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yes, DH gets home from work and he will do a few lessons with our 1st grader. I usually deal with my 7th/8th graders, but yes, he helps out and does a good job too!
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
yummymummy07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We'll be starting preschool with DS in a couple of weeks and DH agreed to have the last workbox of the day be a daddy assignment. Some days it might be an actual project and other days it might be something simple like going for a 'nature walk' to get the mail. My goal is just to get him more involved with DS. Right now he rarely even plays with him because DH is so addicted to technology (blackberry, tv, playstation, computer, etc) that he doesn't even really know how to play. DH loves DS to pieces, but he doesn't know what to do with him. I'm hoping that having a specific thing to do will help DH because he doesn't have to come up with something on his own, but we shall see! I'm crossing my fingers that it works!

yummymummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
n_kragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, our family is just a bit different than most. DH and I are both home full time, so yes, he does help a LOT

We are daycare providers also, so he usually keeps an eye on the daycare kids so that I can work with the girls. He does know what we are working on tho, and if I say, "hey hun, could you do phonics with DD2" he knows what to do

SAH, Daycare Provider, Homeschooling, Mommy to Kaylee (14) Brooklyn (10) Emerson (8) Tatum (6) Reece (3) and Harper (October 2014)
n_kragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
JennyHadAVision
Registered Users

My husband is gone 12 hours a day. He reads to the baby and used to read to our older son (he's 12 now) and is happy to do field trips and stuff on weekends but the daily load is mine for now. Not a problem, just how we divide the labor.
JennyHadAVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

It's my husband's decision mainly for us to homeschool. I'm a little torn and maybe a little scared of it, but doing it b/c of dh. I got mad at him about a year ago and spoke honestly with him, that if he wanted us to homeschool our kids, he'd have to help out. All he did back then when he was with them was eat junk food and watch movies. After that conversation, he now sits on the sofa and reads a lot to them, he's even worked on writing letters with them, counts with them, explains money to them, etc. My daughter wrote her first letter, F, because of her time with daddy. I didn't rip him apart, I was just very honest with him that I needed and wanted his help if homeschooling was that important to him b/c I'd just rather put them in school. One thing I started noticing about getting him involved that you could do is notice your husband's interests and strong points. Like for instance, my husband is a fishing fanatic and absolutely loves animals (has worked in zoos and vet clinics, I mean, loves animals). So, I told him, and complemented his strong areas, "You are very smart with fishing and animals, can you please be in charge of science and share what you know with the kids." Wow, that did it. He now includes them fishing. My 4 year old knows the names of all kinds of fish, what they eat, their habits and her knowledge goes beyond fish to turtles and other marine life b/c they come across them while fishing. They'll walk around the yard and he'll catch lizards and bugs for them and just talk to them and show them things (I also have a 20 month old). It's like having a science tutor right there. They are bonding with dad and learning and he gets to share his passion with them which makes them closer. So, try to incorporate a passion of his into the homeschool life. Even if it's football. The kids can learn a lot from anything. I'm sure there are math lessons they can learn in football, strategies, plays, maybe their states (like what team comes from where and who won that year in the Superbowl), etc. That may involve the dh more. And just be super supportive of anything he may do. Your kids will benefit from the relationship and time with dad and it will open more opportunities of learning later as well.
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote