View Poll Results: What did your LO do first?
Talked then walked 20 27.03%
Walked then talked 43 58.11%
Figured out both at the same time 15 20.27%
Has yet to do either 3 4.05%
Other? 1 1.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

Walking and talking.

I got to thinking about the "If they talk first, they walk later and vice versa" thing. Since Em is nearly 16 months and STILL not walking but she will talk your ear off.

So is it true?

Poll coming.

Advertisement

~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: Walking and talking.

DS isn't that old yet, but he was always early/on time for his physical milestones. Sat up unassisted before 5 months, crawled by late 6 months, walking late 9 months... but the ONLY thing he says is "dada" or yells/shouts, while his 'girlfriend' who is 1.5 months younger than him, can say "hi" and wave, and is close to saying "bye" too, but probably won't walk until closer to a year old.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS is 11 months old and says mama, dada, bye bye, all done, hello (when pretending to talk on the phone). He also signs more, milk (for nurse) and all done. He was early with his milestones, sitting at 3 months, crawling at 6 walking around 9.

My DD was similar, but crawled at 7 months and walked at 8.5 months. I think she may have had a few more words than my DS at his age. I forget LOL! But she was talking your ear off a few months later!

So I guess my kids did them at the same time.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD started walking AND talking around 11mos, and now has moved on to running and screaming....
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 & 2 walked before talking. DS3 talked around 10mo and walked around 15mo.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS just turned one. He's been walking for almost 2 mths and started running 1.5 wks ago. He doesn't say any words yet. He has about 3 signs (milk, all done, and thirsty), sometimes does a fourth (want) and recognizes many more. He makes lots of talking sounds that sound-like words in the correct context (mama, dada, hi, bye-bye, wan, meaning want, and mo, meaning more), but he babbles the same sounds without context at other times. By our definition, he doesn't have any words until we can tell that he is using those sounds ONLY for their correct meaning.

DD did much the same thing. She walked at 10.5 mths, but didn't say her first real word until about 16 mths.

I voted "walked then talked"

The problem I see is definitions. DD was signing at 7.5 mths, said her first word-like sound at 6.5 mths, said her first word that appeared to have meaning at 10 mths. So depending on your definition for "talking", she could have talked long before walking, at the same time as walking, or long after walking.

The same problem occurs for the definition of "walking". By my definition, both of my kids walked at 10 (or more accurately, 10.5) mths. However, by my mom's definition (moving around on 2 feet to get where the child wants to go), DS was walking at 5.5 mths (that's when he first started pulling up and walking around the furniture). By my friend's definition (able to walk independently while holding a parent's hand), he was walking at 7 mths. By another friend's definition (able to walk while pushing something), he was walking by 8 mths. By yet another friend's definition (taking 1-2 steps before falling), he was walking at 8.5 mths. My definition requires the child to be able to walk across the room without falling or holding onto anything. Only then do I consider my child a "walker".

Each person has a diff definition of both milestones. It's interesting to see what each person says, but without a common definition, it's hard to get an accurate picture with a poll.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 07-23-2010 at 10:34 PM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
alabamafamily
Registered Users
seller

Sherry, my son is right behind your dd. At nearly 15 months he's not walking either. Nor does he talk much - he communicates his wants and makes lots of chatter, though.

Ds can walk behind push toys, and walk while holding on to my two hands. If I only hold one hand, he walks sideways! :P

Last edited by alabamafamily; 07-23-2010 at 10:20 PM.
alabamafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwenyi View Post
DS just turned one. He's been walking (completely independently) for almost 2 mths (walking with little assistance for over 3 mths) and started running 1.5 wks ago. He doesn't say any words yet. He has about 3 signs (milk, all done, and thirsty) and sometimes does a fourth (want) and recognizes more. He makes lots of talking sounds that sound-like words in the correct context (mama, dada, hi, bye-bye, wan, meaning want, and mo, meaning more), but he babbles the same sounds without context at other times. By our definition, he doesn't have any words until we can tell that he is using those sounds ONLY for their correct meaning.

DD did much the same thing. She walked (completely independently) at 10.5 mths, but didn't say her first real word until about 16 mths.

I voted "walked before talking"

The problem I see is definitions. DD was signing at 7.5 mths, said her first word-like sound at 6.5 mths, said her first word that appeared to have meaning at 10 mths. So depending on your definition for "talking", she could have talked long before walking, at the same time as walking, or long after walking.

The same problem occurs for the definition of "walking". By my definition, both of my kids walked at 10 (or more accurately, 10.5) mths. However, by my mom's definition (moving around on 2 feet to get where the child wants to go), DS was walking at 5.5 mths (that's when he first started pulling up and walking around the furniture). By my friend's definition (able to walk independently while holding a parent's hand), he was walking at 7 mths. By another friend's definition (able to walk while pushing something), he was walking by 8 mths. By yet another friend's definition (taking 1-2 steps before falling), he was walking at 8.5 mths. My definition requires the child to be able to walk across the room without falling or holding onto anything. Only then do I consider my child a "walker".

Each person has a diff definition of both milestones. It's interesting to see what each person says, but without a common definition, it's hard to get an accurate picture with a poll.
I never heard of anyone saying that their child was walking until they actually were able to walk by themselves Using furniture to walk (cruising) or holding onto someone's hand or a walker I agree is not really considered walking. Again no one I know would call that walking either. If that were the case my kids were also walking at 5/6 months I have never heard of there being so many differing opinions on when a child could be considered a walker! I think walking is when the child walks to get everywhere and has pretty much given up crawling. And mine was pretty early - 8.5 months.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I don't think so, every kid is so different. My older cruised at 6 months and took her first steps at 11 months but also had a dozen words by one years old and quickly added many more. She was early in every way I think. My younger is will be one years old tomorrow, barely started crawling and no words yet besides baby babbling. It seems to come all or nothing in this household. I have had some daycare kids of every combination too.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

All of mine talked first! DD#1: First words, four months, walked at 13 months. DD#2, first words, five months, walked at 12 months. DS, first words, five (or six) months, walked at 13 months. My son didn't communicate "as well as" the girls did early on (not nearly with as much frequency, articulation, and abundance of words at first, he did some signs though) and I sure thought he'd walk before he turned one. But every child is different. And they are all doing a whole lot of talking and a whole lot of walking now.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote