Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about Houston...

There is a possible opportunity that we might be moving to Houston from Fort Worth.

Can you tell me about it? Here are some main questions I have...

My husband would be working in the Montrose (I think thats what it's called???) area, what are some good, family safe neighborhoods convenient to there?

IF we move... I'll be 37 weeks pregnant... can you recommend any CPM's who do homebirths or any birth centers?

Also, what is there to do in Houston for families? Nice parks, museums etc?

THANK YOU!!! :-)

Advertisement

Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about Houston...

Anyone??? We're going to be down to visit on the 6th and 7th :-)
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Montrose is "inside the loop". The nicest area inside the loop is The Heights (in my opinion). We lived there prior to moving to the burbs and we LOVED it, but we prefer large lots so we moved. The Heights is very nice area but it is a mixture of affluent and very poor so the public schools are not great (the wealthy send their kids to private). Honestly, all the "good" school districts are in the suburbs. Also any thing inside the loop will be pricey. All the birth centers are outside the loop in the suburbs. The ones I know of are Reunion Birth Center in Kingwood, Nativity in The Woodlands, and then there is one in Pearland, Pasadena (the midwife who runs this one also does homebirths) and I think one in Katy but I don't know the names. Montrose is close to the museum district so there are lots of activities in that area-Houston Museum of Natural Science, Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Children's Museum and the Houston Zoo are all in the musuem district.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think we'd definitely be more interested in the suburbs :-) I've heard a few people recommend Pearland and Katy as places to live, any input or other areas we should look at?

What is housing like, to rent down in Houston, for example, what can one expect to pay for a 3 bedroom house is a decent area?

THANK YOU!!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
MammaBearsDen
Registered Users

My Mood:

We're renting a very nice 3 bedroom with gameroom ect. for just under 1200/month in the Katy area. There's a ton to do out here and in houston with families, and in katy we even have a local cloth diaper meeting once a month, as well as a couple nearby cd stores.

As for a midwife to do a home birth, (I'm expecting in november and having a home birth) my midwife is absolutely wonderful is she is not already to her limit for your due date month (she normally won't take more than 4 per month to be safe). Her name is Cathy Rude, and her website is www.christianmidwife.net

Hope that helps, and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask ^_^
Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Katy & Pearland are nice areas. I am partial to Kingwood & The Woodlands (I am in Kingwood). Kingwood is actually pretty crunchy. I joined a breastfeeding support group and discovered that over half the group cloth diapers (and then we converted several of the others-lol). There is even a local cloth diaper group. We have a farmer's market on Thursdays and there is a farmer's market in Humble on Wednesdays (Humble is just a few minutes from Kingwood-Kingwood is a part of Humble ISD), so there are 2 days a week you can get fresh veggies and grass fed meat locally. There is a great birth center locally (I am partial as I gave birth there in November).
Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh and the birth center usually takes most of their clients late as it is not well known yet. It is only 3 or 4 years old. So I am pretty sure they would be able to take you.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
SuperPaige
Registered Users

Montrose is THE BEST part of town, as far as culture and restaurants are concerned. Close to downtown, one neighborhood from the museum district, close to universities, parks, everything you would need. We just moved to the 'burbs in January; I had been living in the Montrose for the previous seven years and it's been a hard adjustment. You won't find a more diverse, accepting group of people than Montrosians, I can guarantee. The Heights is close and much more family friendly--a very nice place to live if you can afford it.
SuperPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, we're here visiting! We like it a lot, so really it's just a matter of figuring out the logistics. We've decided that even though we'll have to be over in Montrose a lot, we're most likely going to be looking outside of the loop for housing. I had no idea how BIG Houston was!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I lived in Fort Worth for 4 years (went to TCU) and really liked it. Now I work in Houston in River Oaks (next to Montrose) and live in Spring (north of Houston on I-45). I am in Klein ISD.

We own our home in the 'burbs, but we used to rent a one bedroom apartment in the Galleria area for $770/ month. 3 br's went for $1200 or $1300 at that location.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote