Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
rachelanne820
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breadmaking - not going so well

I just recently started making bread instead of buying it. My first two loaves were plain white bread. Turned out good - family ate both. I tried a wheat loaf and they turned out BLAH!! They are so thick and dense with a very stong flavor.

Does anyone have a light and airy wheat bread recipe? My recipe called for about half wheat flour and half white so I assume this is how all wheat recipes are?

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
altuttle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Breadmaking - not going so well

I find that my whole wheat loaves at home are a little more dense than store bought. We just had to find a recipe that we liked well.

About the half whole wheat half white flour I think the few recipes I have used have been like this.
altuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try this one. Its AWESOME!! I've also used this dough to roll it out and use a rim of a glass (about 4-5" diameter) to make wheat hamburger buns!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-W...-I/Detail.aspx
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This the best bread recipe I have found, I use potato starch instead of potato flakes and they work just as well. This bread has the same texture as store bought bread, it freezes well. You can also mix up the dry ingredients and have it on hand. Her video is great!
I have made it both half white half whole wheat and also 100% whole wheat and both turned out very nice!
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/...torage-recipes
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Mama2Moses
Registered Users

I've had the same issues with the wheat bread...I love homemade bread, but have trouble slicing it due to the crust being too thick and hard. Suggestions on that anyone?
Mama2Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
lovin-life
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have one recipe that I"ve used for a couple years, modifying it each time until I got the it as I wanted it. It's half wheat but very soft and not dense at all.

3 cups ww
3 cups ap
4tbs sugar (or honey, or my favorite is molasses)
1 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk (this could be regular milk if desired)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup flax meal (totally optional)
3 tsp of instant yeast or 4 tsp of active dry yeast

It makes two loves. I toss it all in the kitchenaid, knead for 6 minutes on 2 then let it rise an hour, shape it and put it in loaf pans, let it rise until it's about 1inch above the edge then cook at 350 for 27-30 minutes.
Also, if you're not already, make sure you're using Fine ground whole wheat flour. I had lots of issues with my bread before I switched.

Last edited by lovin-life; 07-26-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: left out ingredient!
lovin-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
This the best bread recipe I have found, I use potato starch instead of potato flakes and they work just as well. This bread has the same texture as store bought bread, it freezes well. You can also mix up the dry ingredients and have it on hand. Her video is great!
I have made it both half white half whole wheat and also 100% whole wheat and both turned out very nice!
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/...torage-recipes
This is my recipe based on the one above. I've eliminated some of the ingredients and added my 'tips' on the bottom.

1 1/4 cup warm water
1 Tblsp active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup sugar
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1 Tblsp butter/margarine/oil
1 Tblsp vinegar
1/4 cup instant dry potato flakes

Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like kitchen-aid) for 12-15 minutes. Let rise until double, 1- 1 1/2 hours. Punch down, and shape into loaf or rolls. Let rise again until double and bake 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.

If you are making this recipe in a bread machine, follow your bread machine’s directions for wheat or whole grain selection and add the ingredients in the order listed for their recommendations. (only one loaf will fit in a bread maker)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The vinegar strengthens the gluten, which is important because whole wheat flour tends to be heavier that white flour. You need to have the same amount of vinegar as yeast. So 2tsp yeast means you need 2 tsp vinegar.

The gluten is because whole wheat flour, due to the included bran, contains less gluten overall. If you are okay with some white flour/can't find gluten, you can do a ratio of 2c whole wheat flour to 1 cup white bread flour. Works just as well. I found I could go down to 1tbs of gluten per cup or two of whole wheat flour as well. Doesn't rise up as much, but still fluffy, sliceable and tasty.

The potato flakes can be replaced with either an equivalent of cooked potato (like leftover baked potato) or replacing the water with water potatoes have been cooked in. The starch coats the sharp, pokey bran, so less yeast bubbles are 'popped' making the bread rise higher. As long as the ratio of solid potato is kept (1/4c to 3 c whole wheat flour) or the liquid replaced with potato water, the results are the same.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above bread makes excellent sandwich bread. I can slice it thin, it's 'fluffy', and has a great taste. But you don't have to use my recipe. If you follow the dough conditioners 'rules' you can use them in any of your own fave whole wheat bread recipe to make it less crumbly and more suitable for sandwiches.

Ami