Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think that BumGenius is unfair to Canadians

I just wanted to pass on a letter that I sent to BumGenius today, regarding their policy of not allowing American retailers to sell their products to Canadians, and the HUGE difference in retail pricing.

Good morning,

I would just like to express my disappointment regarding your policies that seem to discriminate against Canadian shoppers.

I don't think that it is fair that Canadians cannot order your diapers from any American retailers. The difference in the retail prices, for example, of the BG 4.0's is $6.00, and one Organic Flip Insert is $3.00 more in Canada! While I understand that Canadian retailers may need to charge more to offset shipping/duties/taxes, I really don't think that it is right to set the retail price so differently, or to keep Canadians from comparison shopping.

I have chosen to cloth diaper my child to save money, and so a $6.00/diaper difference puts BumGenius products out of my price range. I have great respect for your quality and products, however, I cannot justify being gouged due to where I live. There are American retailers that would be willing to ship these products to Canada (often for little/no shipping cost), but they aren't allowed to due to your policies.

As a result, I will be diapering this baby with the products of your competitors. I just wanted to let you know my disappointment in these policies, as I had looked forward to purchasing and using your products.

What do you all think?

Advertisement

Ally's Fuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think that BumGenius is unfair to Canadians

oh wow i didn't no that, * i'm not from canada..:P * just saw you post and thought i would pop in..:P that sounds great! My mom is from canada..:P if that counts..HAHA. i wonder why they charge so much more and wotn ship, it isn't like it cost that much differance to ship to canada? hmm GOD FOR YOU MAMMA!!!
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

So you'd rather just pay the duties, taxes and fees yourself upon arrival?

When I was stroller shopping I went through the same thing. I got very frustrated that strollers cost so much more here than in the US (same models). I ended up ordering a stroller from the US for $169 (US). Shipping, Duties, taxes, fees made the total cost almost $300 CAD. I didn't actually save much at all in the end. And I could have had it a lot sooner if I'd jsut bought one locally.

IDK. I just don't see it as that unfair.

Canadian retailers are not making more profit off BGs than US retailers. And Cottonbabies is not making more profit off Canadian retailers than US retailers. The duties, taxes and fees must be paid one way or another.

Last edited by kaimon; 07-27-2010 at 12:19 PM.
kaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

It does not seem fair at all that they will not ALLOW American retailers to ship to CA.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I buy things all of the time from the United States, both for personal and business use. Unless you were buying A LOT, the taxes and duties aren't going to be $6.00 per diaper!

I just don't think it's fair that the American retailers aren't ALLOWED to sell to Canadians. Why should that matter to BG?
Ally's Fuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
LiL Bunz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Letter was put well. As a retailer myself I would love to ship to Canada, but I also understand why Cottonbabies has made this rule. They are trying to make it fair for Canadian retailers. After they pay taxes, duties, and fees it makes the diaper cost more to sell.

So Cottonbabies is trying to make it fair for ALL retailers.
LiL Bunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
mommamisti2
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use BG's for my LO. I love them. I don't however like the price difference either. So, to get around it, I ordered mine from the states and had them brought over from a friend. I am not going to pay 23.95 plus tax for a diaper that I can get for 16.95. I have just bought 3 new BGs on here from a momma from the US. It cost 17.00 with shipping per diaper. I do need more diapers and I plan on having them shipped again to my friend and have her bring them over once again.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mommamisti2
mommamisti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2 flip covers and 6 flip inserts cost me nearly $70 with taxes. Only to find out that it is prob my least fav cover ever. It is ridiculous. You should check out WAHM stuff, way cheaper and customer service is usually super!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Bunz View Post
I also understand why Cottonbabies has made this rule. They are trying to make it fair for Canadian retailers. After they pay taxes, duties, and fees it makes the diaper cost more to sell.

So Cottonbabies is trying to make it fair for ALL retailers.
I agree. It wold be unfair if this policy was price fixing, but it's not the same.

If you buy from a US retailer who charges less because they do not have to pay duties and tax, then your Canadian retailers are automatically put at a business disadvantage because they are paying duties and tax. If Cottonbabies allowed US retailers to ship directly to Canada, then many shoppers would cut the Canadian retailer out completely, only to find when their shipment arrives that they did not actually get a better deal anyway. While I agree it is frustrating to pay more (if only at the point of sale), how is that fair for their business to be diasabled that way?

You can avoid all of that by buying used, can't you? I have heard most Canadian moms say that if an FSOT package arrives as "Used baby cloth diapers" that you do not pay duty on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamisti2 View Post
I use BG's for my LO. I love them. I don't however like the price difference either. So, to get around it, I ordered mine from the states and had them brought over from a friend. I am not going to pay 23.95 plus tax for a diaper that I can get for 16.95. I have just bought 3 new BGs on here from a momma from the US. It cost 17.00 with shipping per diaper. I do need more diapers and I plan on having them shipped again to my friend and have her bring them over once again.
This is a good illustration as to why Cottonbabies has their policy. It's only cheaper to buy US when a) you buy pre-owned, or b)evade taxes