Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think that BumGenius is unfair to Canadians

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenmonkeybaby View Post
I agree. It wold be unfair if this policy was price fixing, but it's not the same.

If you buy from a US retailer who charges less because they do not have to pay duties and tax, then your Canadian retailers are automatically put at a business disadvantage because they are paying duties and tax. If Cottonbabies allowed US retailers to ship directly to Canada, then many shoppers would cut the Canadian retailer out completely, only to find when their shipment arrives that they did not actually get a better deal anyway. While I agree it is frustrating to pay more (if only at the point of sale), how is that fair for their business to be diasabled that way?

You can avoid all of that by buying used, can't you? I have heard most Canadian moms say that if an FSOT package arrives as "Used baby cloth diapers" that you do not pay duty on it.
This!

CB is trying to make it fair to Canadian retailers, that's a good thing if you want to keep the national economy going.

I have lived in both country's, Canadian prices are generally about 30% higher for EVERYTHING and taxes are higher than the US. I don't really understand being outraged about this item group pricing, only. If you are really upset looking to move to the US may be a good idea. I hate paying more for everything but it is what it is, that is how the system works if you live in Canada.

Advertisement

mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
This!

CB is trying to make it fair to Canadian retailers, that's a good thing if you want to keep the national economy going.

I have lived in both country's, Canadian prices are generally about 30% higher for EVERYTHING and taxes are higher than the US. I don't really understand being outraged about this item group pricing, only. If you are really upset looking to move to the US may be a good idea. I hate paying more for everything but it is what it is, that is how the system works if you live in Canada.
The problem is that NO other major cloth diaper retailer has this policy, or has a higher FIXED retail price.

I buy Canadian and support local businesses as much as possible, but I also think that I should have the right to shop around. NONE of my local CD retailers carry BG products (partially because they are so expensive), so I have to buy online - I'd like to be able to get the best deal possible, without having to go to crazy measures.

I think that it is very patronizing to say "move to the US". Not everything is more expensive up here, and I am not complaining about the system as a whole, just the policies of one manufacturer.
Ally's Fuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I've done a bit of research...

If BumGenius made all of it's products in the USA, there would be no duty at all under the NAFTA. Unfortunately, because they are "Designed by a mom and conscientiously manufactured in the USA or Egypt." and aren't guarenteed to be made in the USA, duty can apply.

As well, "most products that are sent to a Canadian and worth CDN$20 or less are not subject to duties or taxes. Exceptions to this exemption include: tobacco, books, periodicals, magazines, alcohol, and goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or intermediary. Items valued at more than $20 are subject to GST, HST and PST, as well as duties if the goods are not manufactured in North America." So, if I just wanted to order one diaper, or a few Flip inserts, there would be no taxes or duty - legally.

Unfortunately, BG won't let us do this.

Most of my cloth diaper supplies have been bought from a great Canadian retailer, and I have found the prices *close* to the American ones - except for BG. I think that retailers should be able to decide what to charge, and who to sell too. It's just a frustrating situation and I wanted to vent.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I completely agree with you Its not fair and it shouldn't be happening but I have just decided to only buy their products when I can get them shipped to a family member in the US then they ship to me. I dont particularily( did I spell that right? I NEED COFFEE) like their products though so I dont feel im missing out too much.

If it was like this with all other cloth diaper companies I would understand but CottonBabies is the only ones. The Canadian cloth diaper market does not solely survive on the sale of cottonbabies, at all.

I try to buy WAHM made items as much as I can and when I cant I buy anything but cottonbabies! Although I am tempted to try out the new 4.0 but NOT for that outrageous price thats for sure.

ETA: I dont pay any dutys when I get items from the US so that wouldnt be a factor in how much it costs. I only buy items when they are shipped with USPS and have yet to be charged anything extra out of the hundreds of packages I have received.

Last edited by mbleblanc; 07-28-2010 at 08:54 AM.
mbleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan View Post
The problem is that NO other major cloth diaper retailer has this policy, or has a higher FIXED retail price.

I buy Canadian and support local businesses as much as possible, but I also think that I should have the right to shop around. NONE of my local CD retailers carry BG products (partially because they are so expensive), so I have to buy online - I'd like to be able to get the best deal possible, without having to go to crazy measures.

I think that it is very patronizing to say "move to the US". Not everything is more expensive up here, and I am not complaining about the system as a whole, just the policies of one manufacturer.
I think your logic is a bit off. CB is the ONLY major manufacture who attempts to protect their foreign retailers. That is a company I would prefer to buy from than one who doesn't care. Because they manufacture in Countrys that require Canadian Duty to be paid and you don't like it don't buy their products.

Reading comprehension problem? I suggested you look into moving if you don't like the higher prices here, not to move.

Please tell me what is not more expensive here I must be missing it, I've just returned from a trip to the states and was reminded on just how much more we tend to pay for things. The only things that hit my list as less expensive in Canada are prescription drugs and university.

Food, OTC drugs, appliances, cars, furniture, toys, clothing, books, medical insurance (that covers almost nothing), electronics, fuel oil, gas, building materials and tools are all more expensive here. That is all your basic day to day living expenses.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that we are just going to have to agree to disagree mama!

I don't see how the policy is really helping Canadian retailers though, as I'm sure there are many people (like me) who shopped around, saw how expensive they were from the Canadian retailers and tried to come up with other options to try the products. But that's just my .

Re: prices in the States, I think some of it may be regional - I've heard that things can be pretty pricey on the Island. We were in North Dakota last month, and while a lot of things were cheaper, there were many grocery items/household products that were the same price, or even a bit more! Besides which, many of the differences were due to taxes, and I don't mind paying those - I have gotten my money's worth out of the healthcare system lately.

Anyways, I'd just like to have a choice over who I buy my products from, and I don't think it's fair to limit that.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

They are not the only ones who limit/control their sales. Way back in the 90's, Motherease diapers were widely available from many wahm stores and retail stores in the US. Now, you can only buy directly from them. I am not sure why they changed it, but it seems like a similar situation...They took away our ability to shop around. I really don't think these two companies are the only ones that have such policies.

Would it be better if BG was only available from the maker? Honest question, I have no idea. Seems it is still better to have at least a few retailers to choose from but maybe not.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paper_girl_76 View Post
They are not the only ones who limit/control their sales. Way back in the 90's, Motherease diapers were widely available from many wahm stores and retail stores in the US. Now, you can only buy directly from them. I am not sure why they changed it, but it seems like a similar situation...They took away our ability to shop around. I really don't think these two companies are the only ones that have such policies.

Would it be better if BG was only available from the maker? Honest question, I have no idea. Seems it is still better to have at least a few retailers to choose from but maybe not.
I don't know if it would be better or not - right now CottonBabies doesn't ship ANYTHING to Canada, so we'd be out of luck. I would love being able to order from some of the American shops that have points/loyalty programs, I haven't found a Canadian one that does. I just wish we had access to ALL of the retailers.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
cocoabean572
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Natural baby company (makers of gro baby and gro via) doesnt ship to canada anymore either. Although I dont think they cost any more in Canada than through a us retailer.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoabean572 View Post
Natural baby company (makers of gro baby and gro via) doesnt ship to canada anymore either. Although I dont think they cost any more in Canada than through a us retailer.
I like that grovias products can be bought from american retailers and shipped to Canada. There isn't any restrictions. I dont understand why they dont ship to Canada themselves but at least they arent completely denying us from shopping around for the best price.

Although I agree that some things in the US are cheaper but that is only in certain areas. When I lived in Ontario things were a lot cheaper then where I live now which is an island. When I was in Florida almost everything was a lot cheaper but in New York almost everything was a lot more exspensive. Its not as black and white as one of the previous posters is making it seem (sorry, I should have quoted but I forgot).

As much as I would love to support Canadian retailers I just cant afford to. I would rather buy from a site that charges me $6 shipping and no taxes then buy from a Canadian retailer who charges me $15 shipping AND 15% taxes. I am a single mother on one income and if I bought only from Canadian retailers my son would not have everything he needs because I would not be able to afford them.

I agree with the OP when she says "we're going to have to agree to disagree"
But, I totally think your awesome for sending that email because they cant read peoples minds so they should hear what all the different opinions are. Although, I doubt that they will change anything.