Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #21
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think that BumGenius is unfair to Canadians

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbleblanc View Post
Although, I doubt that they will change anything.
I doubt it too - and I haven't heard anything back. I was hoping that they would at least e-mail back and justify their policy, but nothing so far...

Isn't it crazy how some of the American retailers can ship to Canada cheaper than a lot of the Canadian shops can?

Advertisement

Ally's Fuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
mrsvickie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenmonkeybaby View Post
This is a good illustration as to why Cottonbabies has their policy. It's only cheaper to buy US when a) you buy pre-owned, or b)evade taxes
How is that tax evasion when you claim them across the border? Especially if the customs officer doesn't even ask!
mrsvickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #23
mommamisti2
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvickie View Post
How is that tax evasion when you claim them across the border? Especially if the customs officer doesn't even ask!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mommamisti2
mommamisti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #24
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

I completely agree with your letter. I know a lot of the local retailers are also frustrated with their policy.

There is no reason that diapers should cost $6/diaper more to purchase here. I am more then willing to pay an extra dollar or two per diaper to buy locally if I get great customer service and quicker shipping. The main reason they cost that much more is because the retailers are forced to sell at a higher price as part of their contractual agreement with cottonbabies. It does not cost that much more for shipping or duty/ brokerage fees.

I would be interested in hearing their response. I was so disgusted by their policy we do not have any of their products in our house. If they were to change their policy I would love to try out flips.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
melissa5
Registered Users
seller

To order a flip organic day pack from the states it would cost 59.95 with free shipping. Even if you add in the exchange rate, thats 63.85. Of all the years I have been buying from across the border, I have never had to pay duty. To order the exact same thing from canada its 70 for the product, plus 5 for shipping and another 3.5 for taxes. In the end it would cost me more then $15 to order within canada. It would be cheaper for me to get somebody from the states to buy it for me, then ship it over here which i have done before!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #26
ATallGiraffe
Registered Users
Formerly: janny17
seller
seller

I definitely can sympathize with people saying it is too expensive to purchase CB products here in Canada versus the States. I can say from a retailer's standpoint (I currently stock CB products) that if anything I make less on my BG products than American retailers do when you add up the shipping & duties/fees. However, if they would make their products in the USA, I would not have to pay all the duties/fees & would therefore maybe have to charge $1 - 2 more per diaper than you would have to pay in the States to make up for the extra in shipping costs. It doesn't really make sense to me either.

I think if they have their pricing policy, they have to protect their foreign retailers otherwise we are sunk. There are a few companies that won't allow their products to be shipped from the US to Canada, including BG, Rumparooz, & I thought Natural Baby company had the same policy now too. Unfortunately, with products not made in the US, duties & fees are very high for us retailers. Which is why, other than the BG products, I stick mainly to Canadian made products. Besides the fact that I would rather support Canadian business personally & prefer many of the products that I can get from Canadian suppliers anyway.

That would be great if we could convince them to make everything in the USA!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #27
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't agree more! I am lucky I am American and travel to the US. My dh also travels there weekly. We buy a lot there because it is too expensive here and we declare everything at the border but since we are gone days at a time are allowed so much to bring back.
Its too bad your letter won't do any good though

Tammy
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
momk2009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimon View Post
So you'd rather just pay the duties, taxes and fees yourself upon arrival?

When I was stroller shopping I went through the same thing. I got very frustrated that strollers cost so much more here than in the US (same models). I ended up ordering a stroller from the US for $169 (US). Shipping, Duties, taxes, fees made the total cost almost $300 CAD. I didn't actually save much at all in the end. And I could have had it a lot sooner if I'd jsut bought one locally.

IDK. I just don't see it as that unfair.

Canadian retailers are not making more profit off BGs than US retailers. And Cottonbabies is not making more profit off Canadian retailers than US retailers. The duties, taxes and fees must be paid one way or another.
The only time I have ever paid duty, or taxes was if the item was sent UPS, and the stuff I got from Franklin Goose. No other package has incurred fees, and I order a fair bit online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmamatobe View Post
It does not seem fair at all that they will not ALLOW American retailers to ship to CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan View Post
I buy things all of the time from the United States, both for personal and business use. Unless you were buying A LOT, the taxes and duties aren't going to be $6.00 per diaper!

I just don't think it's fair that the American retailers aren't ALLOWED to sell to Canadians. Why should that matter to BG?
It shouldn't matter to them. I don't know that it makes things fair though, if I think the price is too high here I will go with a Canadian brand instead. In fact, I have only ever bought one BG, and that was just to see what the fuss was about. I paid $25 for it, compared to $20 for my other pocket of choice that comes with an insert, and another that does not (also $20) so there isn't a huge jump in local pricing compared to Canadian products anyways. At least not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
This!

CB is trying to make it fair to Canadian retailers, that's a good thing if you want to keep the national economy going.

I have lived in both country's, Canadian prices are generally about 30% higher for EVERYTHING and taxes are higher than the US. I don't really understand being outraged about this item group pricing, only. If you are really upset looking to move to the US may be a good idea. I hate paying more for everything but it is what it is, that is how the system works if you live in Canada.
I'm sorry but moving to the US to save on diapers and a few other things to have to worry about all the other costs that we don't have is kind of silly. I wonder how many diapers I can get for the cost of your monthly health insurance? I do enjoy supporting my economy. I buy handmade from American mama's, and things that just aren't available locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvickie View Post
exactly..No one is waiting for their package at the border to make up lies about it to save on taxes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATallGiraffe View Post
I definitely can sympathize with people saying it is too expensive to purchase CB products here in Canada versus the States. I can say from a retailer's standpoint (I currently stock CB products) that if anything I make less on my BG products than American retailers do when you add up the shipping & duties/fees. However, if they would make their products in the USA, I would not have to pay all the duties/fees & would therefore maybe have to charge $1 - 2 more per diaper than you would have to pay in the States to make up for the extra in shipping costs. It doesn't really make sense to me either.

I think if they have their pricing policy, they have to protect their foreign retailers otherwise we are sunk. There are a few companies that won't allow their products to be shipped from the US to Canada, including BG, Rumparooz, & I thought Natural Baby company had the same policy now too. Unfortunately, with products not made in the US, duties & fees are very high for us retailers. Which is why, other than the BG products, I stick mainly to Canadian made products. Besides the fact that I would rather support Canadian business personally & prefer many of the products that I can get from Canadian suppliers anyway.

That would be great if we could convince them to make everything in the USA!

Ive ordered directly from rumparooz and they shipped to me and the natural baby company doesn't ship to Canada directly but does not stop other american retailers from shipping to Canada. Just wanted to clarify to show how crazy BG is .
Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #30
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by mbleblanc; 07-30-2010 at 09:59 PM.
mbleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote