Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face A bit lost with my 11 year old

I've been home schooling my oldest since mid-way through 2nd grade. Things had been pretty rough for her that year so we de-schooled for a while and then unschooled. Before 2nd grade, she had been bored and flew through all of it easily.
Anyway, she has been very resistant to any sort of school so we haven't done much. She is a voracious reader and will read through 14 or more books in a week. We go weekly and she always runs out of stuff to read. I get all sorts of moaning and crying if we try any sort of "school" though.

She should be going into 6th grade this year. I am uncomfortable unschooling for everything. I would really like to get her "caught up" in math. I have no idea how to do that though. How would I go about working out her level? I don't want to just jump in and either have her far behind or have it way too easy. She stopped doing much in the Singapore books that we got when she was almost to the end of the 1st grade level. (we had to go back for her to not be overwhelmed. Public school had really messed up her confidence in math)

I'm sorry if this isn't very coherent. It seems all mixed up in my head.

So, she should be going into 6th grade, but hasn't worked on much math past early 2nd grade. I know she can do some basic multiplication and division. Basic fractions are understood also. She wouldn't try three digit addition and subtraction last time I tried (over a year ago).

Where do I start with her?

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A bit lost with my 11 year old

You might like to look at Waldorf Math curriculum. It's pretty interesting, and there is lots of story reading involved. It's not just a math book with pages full of numbers. There is art involved in Waldorf Math curriculum as well. This might be right up her alley!
http://www.waldorfbooks.com/edu/curr...athematics.htm
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

teaching text books sounds great for her. Its a computer program with a workbook. It's at a slower pace. they break it all down, seems like you are playing a game. the graghic are very inviting. I think they have a placement test.
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

DD looses motivation sometimes and I find what works for her is making goal charts and she earns something, like a day off and a field trip, when she meets that goal. At first, you would want to make it small goals like if she does a math "assignment" today she gets to pick something out of a prize box (a fun pencil or eraser, a coupon for a movie with mom, etc.) and then work up to bigger goals.

That works for us at least... hope you find something that works!

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
granolamommie
Registered Users

I have been thinking about using teaching textbooks for dd here as well
granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

My girls are behind in math too, my 10 yr old is at 3rd grade and my almost 9 yr old is at 2nd grade. It doesn't really bother me that much because there are some people who believe that math is easier learned at older ages like 12 and above.

Most math programs will give you a run down of what is covered each year but you might have to give her work that is easy in some areas if she is behind in other areas for that grade level.
Singapore math has a free online placement test.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think Math U See has a free online placement test.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids like the Ray's Arithmetic Seriesl. Logical and simple and in the end will be very advanced in the understanding of math and VERY non-threatening and non-traditional.
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
cwilliford
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Life of Fred books for math are narrative based and might work well with your dd. You can find them here: (http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html). If you use the LOF books, you should probably start with the Fractions book. From what I understand, the writer of the books is very open to questions.

You might also want to check out the living math website (http://www.livingmath.net). The woman who runs the site, Julie, created a history-based curriculum that she used with her kids who are also voracious readers. She also provides lots of suggestions for math readers. We used a lot of living math readers when ds was younger, but now do most of our math work through interactive computer programs. Julie also moderates a living math yahoo group where you can find out all kinds of helpful information about various math curricula.

Another suggestion is the Murderous Maths books. They are quite engaging and written with a sense of humor. They're a British series (http://www.murderousmaths.co.uk/), but you can get these and the other horrible books through Ray (http://www.horriblebooks.com/) here in the US. I've been able to get them through interlibrary loan for free.

Hope this helps!
cwilliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
racheyj76
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have twin 11 year olds a boy and a girl and we are struggling with being behind in math too. I have been trying to decide if we should just continue on with our 5th grade math or if we should go ahead and jump into the 6th grade math. We are using Saxon math.

Rachel
racheyj76 is offline   Reply With Quote