Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
jsnichols1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
33 Week babies?

Has anyone out there delivered at 33 weeks? I'll be 33 weeks tomorrow and have PIH and just have a 'feeling' that she'll be coming sooner rather than later. I delivered 2 healthy 8+lb babies in the past, and don't really know what to expect. Ava is approx. 4lbs right now, according to u/s (although with my other 2, the u/s always guessed them about 1lb lower than they were at birth). So I'm looking at a 4-5lb baby, I'm guessing. Any hopes of her not spending time in the NICU or is that inevitable? If anyone has any pics of their preemie, I would love to see your little bundles too - just to prepare us for what we might be seeing very soon.

HUGS
Sue

Advertisement

jsnichols1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 33 Week babies?

No personal experience, but I would count on some NICU time with a 33 week baby because there lungs usually aren't quite ready. My doc told me last week at my 34 week appt that they don't stop labor once you hit 34 weeks but in his experience babies born before 36 weeks usually spend some time in the NICU, but again not always. Have they given you the steroid shots to help with lung development if they think you are going to deliver soon?
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
momto3under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My girls were born at 33 weeks and 3 days. They had no issues with their lungs at all. Their APGAR scores were the same as my ds who was born full term 8/9 and 9/9. We did receive the steriod shots about a week before they were born and I really believe that it helped them. However, they were in the NICU for 15 days to learn how to eat and to gain a little weight. When they were born they were 4lbs 2 oz and 4lbs 1 oz.

They are now almost 5 months old, and are doing great! They have not had a bottle since the day they came home from the hospital. They are still tiny, both probably about 10 lbs now.

I will try to find some of their NB pics on the comp and get them up for you.
momto3under2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a 34 week daughter who was born 5lbs 5 ounces and was in the NICU for only 1 week. She had jaundice due to pit they gave me that made it to where I COULD NOT stop pushing when her head was coming out and brused her and some mild early breathing issues. She was hooked up to a million tubes etc and looked pitiful, but she is a very robust healthy 2 1/2 year old now.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't have a baby at 33 week, but was born at 33 weeks. I know I stayed in NICU for two weeks before I came home and was 4lbs 13 oz. My DD was 9lbs 4oz and was a day late if that is any referance.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

My son was born at 33 w 5 days-- some breathing problems initialy and was sent to the NICU but not even a full 24 hours.

Our obstacle was BFing-- he just didn't suck...

((Hugs)) and good luck.

Last edited by MamaMegan; 02-26-2007 at 09:15 AM.
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapermom View Post
No personal experience, but I would count on some NICU time with a 33 week baby because there lungs usually aren't quite ready. My doc told me last week at my 34 week appt that they don't stop labor once you hit 34 weeks but in his experience babies born before 36 weeks usually spend some time in the NICU, but again not always. Have they given you the steroid shots to help with lung development if they think you are going to deliver soon?
Hm. I went into pre-term labor (dilated and effaced) at 34 weeks and 6 days and they DID stop it. I got one shot of Terbutaline, and because it worked well I refused the 2nd shot.
OneFabMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(((((big hugs mama)))))

I delivered my first son at 28 weeks and I know how hard having a preemie is. Our neonatologist told us that if a baby makes it to 32 weeks they have much, much better odds of having no complications. If you do deliver now you can probably expect some NICU time, since a baby that young generally has to learn how to suck and they tend to have some breathing problems.

I recommend if you are having concerns to talk to your doc and they can give you a test (called a fetal fibronectin test). Have you had one yet? Basically they take a swab from down there and test it for a certain hormone I think Anyway if it comes out negative the chance of you having the baby in the next week is pretty much nil. And if it comes back positive they can be prepared to try to stop impending labor and/or you can look into options such as getting steriod injections which have been proven to help the lungs and prevent brain bleeds (my son had a brain bleed).

Here is a picture of my little guy at 2lbs 7oz. He does have hydrocephalus as a result of being so premature, but other than that he is perfectly "normal" or as normal as a 3 year old gets. And I couldn't imagine my world w/o him.

And here he is at 18 months- right before his eye surgery to correct his lazy eye

And here he is with me this past Christmas

Sorry for all the pics, but he's been through a lot and I like to show him off! He now knows all his ABC's and is learning to read!!!

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I know a few people who had babies between 32 and 35 weeks, even the 35 weeker spent nicu time. My DD was born at exactly 37 weeks and spent 3 days in the nicu because her lungs weren't quite working properly after she was born. I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks 3 days with my first and they stopped it quite easily.

Just curious, but why do you guys think you'll be having baby early??
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins were born at 34wks and were 4-15 & 6-1. I delivered at a normal hospital w/ only a Special Care nursery and even though Baby B aspirated some fluid during delivery he did fine! No transfers needed. They even had a 30 weeker there who did really good for his gestation which normally would go to a level 3 NICU for 8-10wks. ETA: They stayed a total of 6 & 7 days. We were all released at the same time exactly 1wk later!
I've also had friends who delivered at 36-37wks who had more preemie issues than my 34wkers did! It all depends on your baby. Has your OB given you betamethasone shots to help with lung maturity?? As soon as I started having issues with PTL they gave them to me. They must be given at least 48hrs before birth to have the maximum effects and I had them 2x/wk for the last 2wks, daily when I was hospitalized at 28-30wks.
I thought for SURE my 3rd baby would be early, I was just so sure b/c of how my twins were, I had tons and tons of contrx from 28wks on and swore I was in labor numerous times but nope! I went to 40wks3days and finally was induced! Go figure!! I pray your baby cooks as long as possible!!