Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
bubblykrista
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Flats & the "padfold"?? Other easy folds?

Ok... can someone tell me what the padfold is? *lol* (Or better yet: show me pics of the steps on how to do it?) I am debating on whether to get flats or prefolds & from what I've read on here, the padfold is easy for dad's & grandparents or babysitters?

Also - If I were to just use trifolded prefolds or the padfold flats with Thirsties Duo wraps, how is the absorbency with it? Would they leak? Would I have to get more covers because it wouldn't contain poo from getting on the cover? Is it better to fold & snappi them to help with poo?

I think we are going to just do this one type of system & not get any AIO'S/Pockets/etc. If we ever do get anything else, we're thinking of the KaWaii's since they are super cheap & seem to get mostly positive reviews on here.

Advertisement

bubblykrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats & the "padfold"?? Other easy folds?

Here's my spin on flats or prefolds folded in covers.. Its like an AI2. Very easy. I "preload" them in covers all stacked in a basket where we change diapers. Even for myself. Takes about 5 min to do 10 covers that will last me two days. So for Dads ect They just open the wrap, fold back the dipe and go. Simple. The only downer is that poo will get on the cover so every poo cover is tossed in the pail. But that is no big deal! Go with 6-8 covers (or if your me 12 or so OS covers so I have plenty to keep in a diaper bag and preloaded in the changing table basket, I use OS because that is small, medium and Large in one stash, about what you'd spend on 4 covers in each size)

Padfolding is really simple. Most covers will contain your poo's and will not leak. Duo's, Bummis and Blueberries are my favorite (BB being the best OS imo)
This is my favorite padfold tut:
http://www.diaperpin.com/forum09/for...218&KW=padfold
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
twinkerbell
Registered Users
seller

My babe will be outgrowing her infant prefolds soon and I think I'm going to get flats. Thanks for that tut!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FLATS are awesome! you can fold them in a lot of ways, i fold the large flat in a square,, and then i kite fold (mini version) and then lay it in the cover. this way you can choose to put it with up to 16 layers in the back or the front for girl vs boy.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
bubblykrista
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
Here's my spin on flats or prefolds folded in covers.. Its like an AI2. Very easy. I "preload" them in covers all stacked in a basket where we change diapers. Even for myself. Takes about 5 min to do 10 covers that will last me two days. So for Dads ect They just open the wrap, fold back the dipe and go. Simple. The only downer is that poo will get on the cover so every poo cover is tossed in the pail. But that is no big deal! Go with 6-8 covers (or if your me 12 or so OS covers so I have plenty to keep in a diaper bag and preloaded in the changing table basket, I use OS because that is small, medium and Large in one stash, about what you'd spend on 4 covers in each size)

Padfolding is really simple. Most covers will contain your poo's and will not leak. Duo's, Bummis and Blueberries are my favorite (BB being the best OS imo)
AWESOME tutorial! Thank you so much! That is very easy! & just like you said, for dads/grandparents, its easy! So, for a newborn, how many covers would you say they go thru in a day? I know as the baby gets older, they don't poop as much. We are planning on using sposies for the 1st couple weeks until his umbilical cord stump falls off & until his circumcision heals up. What flats do you use? LL's? Do the flats work well at night? Or do you need to double up? Or use a hemp doubler or some other insert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybissy View Post
FLATS are awesome! you can fold them in a lot of ways, i fold the large flat in a square,, and then i kite fold (mini version) and then lay it in the cover. this way you can choose to put it with up to 16 layers in the back or the front for girl vs boy.
What flats do you use? LL's? & the mini kite fold is after it's folded into a smaller square? (Do you have any pics/tutorials?) Oh & how does that make it 16 layers in the back or front? I've seen the regular kite fold, so I think seeing it would make more sense to me.
bubblykrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblykrista View Post
AWESOME tutorial! Thank you so much! That is very easy! & just like you said, for dads/grandparents, its easy! So, for a newborn, how many covers would you say they go thru in a day? I know as the baby gets older, they don't poop as much. We are planning on using sposies for the 1st couple weeks until his umbilical cord stump falls off & until his circumcision heals up. What flats do you use? LL's? Do the flats work well at night? Or do you need to double up? Or use a hemp doubler or some other insert?
Here is what I do for newborns. I buy 3 dozen Preemie PF's and newborn sized covers. With Lily I had about 5 or 6 covers and I did angelwing and snappi the prefolds. They only lasted a few weeks but I got the covers used so it wasnt that bad. I also saved them for the baby. The Preemies are the perfect doubler! So they last for a long time! I angelwinged so that I didnt have to have so many covers in the first few weeks. With this baby I've bought another 7 covers so I can trifold. After the first week I had to use two preemies, one trifolded and layed in the other which I angelwinged. Then at about 3 weeks or so I switched to infant pfs. This time Im doing flats folded smaller. Since you said you want to use sposies till the cord stump falls off then I would go with maybe a dozen or two preemies.

At night I use a flat with a preemie for the doubler. Even on my 5yo and my 3yo at night. I bought LL flats because they seemed to be in the middle of all the different sized flats. So it made sense to me. Im pretty happy with them. They fit my boys nicely padfolded in covers. I just fold them longer in the second step of the tutorial. About 3 inches instead of 1 inch.

As far as a number of covers.. I had about 4 covers I used with PF's for my oldest two children years back. That was a pretty good number for them. But with the rest of my children I've had at LEAST 6 but prefer to have more. I like to have a few to keep in the diaperbag full time and then enough to make it through to wash day. If it were me I'd start with 6 for home and 2 for the diaperbag (preloaded) and then plan to buy more if you feel like your running out all the time.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
ReadingRenee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is a great thread on padfolding with a great tutorial on padfolding. With the resurgence of padfolding and the old school challenge, I thought it might help to bump it back up.

Last edited by ReadingRenee; 11-13-2010 at 08:16 AM.
ReadingRenee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bump
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy Re: Flats & the "padfold"?? Other easy folds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post

The link doesn't work anymore.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made this tute
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1220245