Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Need Help Quick - sick baby ~*UPDATE*~

03/03 - Not that anyone remembers or cares, but I thought I'd update. I took Drake to the doctor on Monday afternoon and they sent us over to the hospital. He just got released today. Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

I have a feeling that my poor baby has some kind of virus - along the lines of rotavirus. He started with a cold a couple of days ago and it's been real nasty with congestion (interrupting his sleep)...but he was randomly vomiting yesterday and maybe the day before (seemed more like spitting up or vomiting at the end of a cough - he's got GERD so vomiting is not totally unusual - didn't think much about it)....his stools loosened last night and today it's full blown diarrhea. He started vomiting (like, REAL vomiting) last night around 9p and only twice was there something to actually come out. Ever since then it's been (regular - more than hourly) dry heaves. IF anything comes out, it's just foamy mucous (clear). I'm sure it's just a virus, but the poor boy looks terrible. He's very pale and he can't even keep water down. I don't think there's anything that the doc can do as far as medication to make him better ("cure" the virus), but do you think there's something they can do for anti-nausea or something??

I need to do SOMETHING for him.

Advertisement

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 03-03-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: update
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
sienna
Registered Users

Re: Need Help Quick - sick baby

how old is the baby? it think it is dangerous to give antinauseants and anti diarhea meds to babies b/c the vomitting and pooping are the bodies way of rejecting the pathogen. i would try probiotics (depending on the age of the baby) and nurse nurse nurse. you could give the baby ginger...

if the baby is older, sometimes they'll accept ensure....good luck
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

He's 18 months and I'm not bfing. I'm afraid to give him anything milky (like ensure) because he can't even keep a little bit of water down. I called the ped and asked if there was anything they'd do if we came in and she said that she didn't think they'd give anything (like phenergen) if the child is younger than 3 yrs.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #4
ellemenopee
Registered Users
seller

DD had this last week...and then gave it to DH. Try to give your DC a teaspoonful of liquid (water, pedialyte or breastmilk) every 15 mins. If he trhows it up, just keep doing the same time to keep him hydrated. Since his body is getting rid of everything quickly, this will pass soon. The congestions lasts a little longer. If you're really concerned, take him to your ped. They'll probably tell you it's a virus and to keep him hydrated. How old is he? If he's on solids, start foods back slowly with bland, non fatty/acidic things. Crackers, toast, rice, water, applesauce, bananas. Those will help to firm up his stools as well. Prayers and hugs to you both!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, and I'm not familiar with probiotics. Can you explain to me? I have a general idea of what they are, but as far as what to give him for nausea, etc. I just DON'T want him to get dehydrated. He had this same type of thing..probably exactly a year ago and he had to have IV fluids. I don't want that for him
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
ellemenopee
Registered Users
seller

They also do anti nausea supposotories but it's best to let the bug takes it's course. Just keep pushing liquids (gatorade if he won't take pedialyte). My dd is 15 months. She still fits in her swing, so we pulled it back out of the garage and she watched Sesame Street between "waterings".
Old 02-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
zbrandie
Registered Users

My Mood:

I went throught this recently with 3 of my 4 kids. The best advice I got was to stop nursing/ or all dairy products and give pedialite or jello mixed with water. Just enough to taste good and give in small amounts. It worked wonders. We used the jello throughout one day each.
Good luck. It is exhausting.
Brandy

Brandy
Just 10, D 9, Roo 6 and H
zbrandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pedialyte would be the only thing that I can suggest! Me personally...I would prefer to throw up a liquid rather than dry heave...for me dry heaving is EXTREMELY painful. I would continue to offer him liquids even if he will probably throw up....just b/c ever little bit that gets through will help him!!

We just went through a bout of this! I went to the pharmacy and there are anti nausea for kids....but they are all for kids 6 and up! I hope your DS feels better! We had this sicky in our house for a week!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenopee View Post
DD had this last week...and then gave it to DH. Try to give your DC a teaspoonful of liquid (water, pedialyte or breastmilk) every 15 mins. If he trhows it up, just keep doing the same time to keep him hydrated. Since his body is getting rid of everything quickly, this will pass soon. The congestions lasts a little longer. If you're really concerned, take him to your ped. They'll probably tell you it's a virus and to keep him hydrated. How old is he? If he's on solids, start foods back slowly with bland, non fatty/acidic things. Crackers, toast, rice, water, applesauce, bananas. Those will help to firm up his stools as well. Prayers and hugs to you both!
Regarding ped, I figure that's all they'll do, "yeap, it's a virus..keep him hydrated and as comfortable as you can"

He's 18m and definitely on solids - but he's feeling very crappy. He didn't eat much at all yesterday and probably wouldn't eat much if I offered it now. It's been about 15 min since his last sip of water and he hasn't thrown up yet, but he's whimpered a couple of times (usually does that right before he throws up) and his tummy is rumbling.

I just feel so sorry for him and hate that I can't make it instantly better. I know its got to run it's course, but I just don't want him to get dehydrated. Kwim?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #10
Evolution Diapers
Registered Users
Formerly: goddess3_2005
seller

Probiotics are the healthy bacteria in your body. They are about 70% of your immune system function. If your bacteria in your body is off, then you get sick. Got to your local health food store and ask for liquid probiotics. You will also want to get a natural fruit juice based sports drink, or Emergen-C is good as well, ginger and peppermint tea. He needs to stay hydrated. Never give a baby ensure, its is full of sugar and synthetic vitamins he can't digest. When his tummy calms down keep him on the B.R.A.T. diet, bananas, apples, rice, and toast; for a day or two allong with plenty of fluids and probiotics.

Last edited by Evolution Diapers; 02-26-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Evolution Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote