Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
adorable96
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Need Help Quick - sick baby

*gentle speaking* I am not attacking you, zbrandie. I just felt like I should clarify this. "The best advice I got was to stop nursing/" Actually, you shouldn't stop nursing. I realize OP isn't BF'ing. But there are some moms on here w/babes that are and I didn't want them to read this and think they need to if this is the situation w/their little one. This is a quote from Dr. Newman in his Breastfeeding Myths:
"15. If the baby has diarrhea or vomiting, the mother should stop breastfeeding.
Not true! The best medicine for a baby's gut infection is breastfeeding. Stop other foods for a short time, but continue breastfeeding. Breastmilk is the only fluid your baby requires when he has diarrhea and/or vomiting, except under exceptional circumstances. The push to use "oral rehydrating solutions" is mainly a push by the formula manufacturers (who also make oral rehydrating solutions) to make even more money. The baby is comforted by the breastfeeding, and the mother is comforted by the baby's breastfeeding. (Handout #9b Illness in the mother or baby)."

As for OP, I hope your little one is feeling better soon. I think you have gotten some great advice. The probiotics sounds like a great start, too!

Advertisement

adorable96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

this is what the nurse @ the peds office told me to do, tell me if you think it sounds flawed..

When he vomits, wait for 2 hrs and try a small amount of liquids...if he keeps it down, try another small amt in 15 min, so on and so forth. For every time he vomits, wait another 2 hrs before trying again.

That seems like it's not enough...he's already had 4 or 5 diarrhea diapers too. He isn't even able to go 2 hrs without attempting to vomit. I just tried a little bit of pedialyte and it came back up within 3 minutes. He really looks terrible. Ya know, I don't think he's dehydrated yet...but gosh, he looks awful. I mean, he probably looks like he feels...and it's really, really terrible.

I just feel so bad for him...

Is the wait 2 hrs and try fluids really a good idea?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
aschrimp
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
He's 18m and definitely on solids - but he's feeling very crappy. He didn't eat much at all yesterday and probably wouldn't eat much if I offered it now. It's been about 15 min since his last sip of water and he hasn't thrown up yet, but he's whimpered a couple of times (usually does that right before he throws up) and his tummy is rumbling.

I just feel so sorry for him and hate that I can't make it instantly better. I know its got to run it's course, but I just don't want him to get dehydrated. Kwim?
We went through this with ds a few months back - it was awful!

Even if it seems like he's not keeping anything down, the body can absorb a lot of fluid almost immediately through the mouth and stomach lining, so sips of whatever he will drink will keep him hydrated, even if he throws them right back up.

Popsicles are a good option, as are jello and jello jigglers (most kids will eat those no matter how rotten they feel - we are vegetarian so we don't do jello though). Gatorade/Pedialyte is probably the best, but I've never had any luck getting ds to drink either one. Even slightly flat soda (not diet and no caffiene) is better than nothing.

We used some ginger and anise stuff called "Tummy Soothers" and it seemed to help with the vomiting when ds was sick.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorable96 View Post
*gentle speaking* I am not attacking you, zbrandie. I just felt like I should clarify this. "The best advice I got was to stop nursing/" Actually, you shouldn't stop nursing. I realize OP isn't BF'ing. But there are some moms on here w/babes that are and I didn't want them to read this and think they need to if this is the situation w/their little one. This is a quote from Dr. Newman in his Breastfeeding Myths:
"15. If the baby has diarrhea or vomiting, the mother should stop breastfeeding.
Not true! The best medicine for a baby's gut infection is breastfeeding. Stop other foods for a short time, but continue breastfeeding. Breastmilk is the only fluid your baby requires when he has diarrhea and/or vomiting, except under exceptional circumstances. The push to use "oral rehydrating solutions" is mainly a push by the formula manufacturers (who also make oral rehydrating solutions) to make even more money. The baby is comforted by the breastfeeding, and the mother is comforted by the baby's breastfeeding. (Handout #9b Illness in the mother or baby)."

As for OP, I hope your little one is feeling better soon. I think you have gotten some great advice. The probiotics sounds like a great start, too!
THANK YOU for posting that Breastmilk is the most gentle thing for a baby's tummy because it's made for their tummies. Even water (as bland as it is) can be rough on a baby's tummy compared to breastmilk.

I hope your little one starts feeling better soon We've gone through this a few times. Just keep a good eye out for dehydration and if you see any signs (dry lips and mouth, no tears, not enough urine) take him in. It's rough, but you guys will get through this.

ETA: Last time my dd's had the tummy flu, we were told to stop any milk (except breastmilk) and cut back dramatically on solids. We were told not to start dairy until their hadn't vomited or had diarrhea for at least 48 hours. Soft solids should be fed during the tummy bug (we did a lot of applesauce and jello) and then re-introduce other solids when they are feeling better.

Last edited by EmnJJsMom; 02-26-2007 at 03:23 PM.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my older DS was 18 months old, he got the Rota virus and vomitted for over a week. I was BFing and he did not really dehydrate but when I took him into the doc, they gave him a shot of composine. The vomitting stopped right away.
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand the OP isn't nursing but also wanted to add, FWIW, heres a link to a page that talks about the quote by Jack Newman from a PP

for the OP:
Here's a link from Dr Sears' website and it has a nice little "schedule" of what to give and when... HTH

Also - the Dr Newman site I linked first lists signs of dehydration as follows:
Quote:
fewer than 2 wet diapers in a 24-hour period
baby not behaving normally (more irritable, less active, sleeping more)
lethargy
listlessness
weak cry
no tears (in an infant older than 3 months)
dry mouth
skin that stays wrinkly-looking when pinched (pull up the skin on the front of the hand; it should pop easily back into place - not stay pinched or wrinkly-looking)
eyes that look sunken
cool, clammy extremities, especially the fingers and toes
fast breathing, or a heart that is beating faster than usual
fever

Last edited by moonphishers; 02-26-2007 at 11:27 PM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

updated at top
Old 03-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Help Quick - sick baby ~*UPDATE*~

So what did the Dr say??? for being in the hospital for so long!!! That must have been awful!!
Old 03-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

It was rotavirus and he was dehydrated. For a couple of days, they couldn't get his fever down (they were giving him tylenol suppositories with very frequent diarrhea, duh!), then it was a matter of getting him to keep things down, then get him interested in drinking, so that he could drink enough to make up for what he was losing. It hit him really hard, but thankfully he's A LOT better today.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad he's okay
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote