Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Penniless
Registered Users

A Break From Kids

Someone, shocked that I would even consider homeschooling my kid, said "A mother needs time away from your kids to recharge. You can't ever get a break from your kids if you homeschool."

Agree? Disagree?
Do you think you need child free time to recharge? How do you get that break?

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: A Break From Kids

this honestly varies from one person/family to the next. I will say that I think as a general whole, today's parents often spend way too much time away from their kids between school, sports and organized classes. But I will admit that for me I do need a certain amount of time away from my kids to recharge. Granted, I can usually meet this need by focusing on me after the kids go to bed or by taking a chance to stop for lunch while grocery shopping or making a trip to the library after my husband is home from work. I've recently started taking one day a year and getting away alone or with just the nursing baby if I have one at the time. Time to take care of yourself emotionally and physically is important but I really don't think you need to spend as much time apart as I see many families do today.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

I get 2 hours to myself every week or so while I mow the yard on our riding lawn mower. I also stay up a little later than I should because I like to have a few hours of kid-free thinking time.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Amaggiepie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also stay up late for my kid free time. I WOH, but even though I'm not with them its not really me time and I spend that time wishing I was home hugging my babies I think today's society is a little backwards in that aspect - mommies and babies SHOULD be together most of the time!
Amaggiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Penniless
Registered Users

I do sometimes feel I need a break, but my kids really need me more than I need a break. Both my kids are very attached, clingy and needy, so leaving them just so I can have a break feels very selfish on my part and only backfires. The moment they're asleep, I take chilling ME time.
I also have a cleaning job once a week for three hours, and oddly enough, that cleaning time is MY time. I view it as a break even though its work, simply because the kids are at a sitter and I'm free from kids.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I also stay up later than I probably should to have some quiet time. Our homeschool group has moms' nights out once or twice a month, too, and I try to get to those as often as possible - it's nice to have the little break and to get some adult interaction without kids underfoot, and we're all in the same situation and can be great support for one another.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
TwoInCloth
Registered Users

I get a break from my children's four wonderful grandparents, who we are blessed to have in our lives. My husband will give me a break anytime I need one too.
I don't need a break from them everyday or every week, but I don't think those who do need a break should feel badly. When I had a one and two year old, you bet I was wanting a break lol.
TwoInCloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find the longer I HS the less I feel I "need" a break. Though I do get a day out every now and then with out kids, my husband will watch them. And I do go to convention for a weekend alone every year. I also have a weekly bible study I attend with out kids. But the more Im with my kids and we grow together the more I fall in love with them and they are my little buddies. I think that "a break" from kids is a rather new idea and probably not as necessary as we once thought.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
I find the longer I HS the less I feel I "need" a break. Though I do get a day out every now and then with out kids, my husband will watch them. And I do go to convention for a weekend alone every year. I also have a weekly bible study I attend with out kids. But the more Im with my kids and we grow together the more I fall in love with them and they are my little buddies. I think that "a break" from kids is a rather new idea and probably not as necessary as we once thought.
I think that in a way parents spending large amounts of time away from their kids is what makes them think it is necessary. Because some of people can't handle their kids for a more than a few hours in the evening they think parents need the entire day to themselves whereas when your kids are home all day, every day, you come up with ways to deal with it.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
mommy2gr8kids78
Fairies and Fireflies~ Add Magic

My Mood:

I too stay up a little later at night to have my "alone time". By morning though I'm rested, and excited to see them and start the day. I couldn't imagine having children and not wanting to be around them all day. Why have children if you'll only see them 2 waking hours a day?

Catholic, Homeschooling, CD'ing, Open to life mama of 4 gifts from God.

mommy2gr8kids78 is offline   Reply With Quote