Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Penniless
Registered Users

Would you homeschool in this situation?

Homeschooling simply isn't "done" where I live. Kids around here are all in school till 1:30 (earliest), but more often till 4 or 5 or even later at older grades.
We also don't have a car, so I don't know how frequently we'd actually be able to get out and take the bus to meet up with the one lone small homeschooling group in our region.

Would you homeschool if homeschooling was such an oddity where you lived and you had no car?

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Addies_momma
Registered Users

Re: Would you homeschool in this situation?

Homeschool is definetly considered odd around here. There are a couple homeschool groups a few towns away but I don't have the car during the day. DH takes it to work so we are stuck at home all the time. We're not 'officially' homeschooling yet but I definetly plan to despite the circumstances.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
hypmommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penniless View Post
Homeschooling simply isn't "done" where I live. Kids around here are all in school till 1:30 (earliest), but more often till 4 or 5 or even later at older grades.
We also don't have a car, so I don't know how frequently we'd actually be able to get out and take the bus to meet up with the one lone small homeschooling group in our region.

Would you homeschool if homeschooling was such an oddity where you lived and you had no car?
One word....YES!!! I would!
hypmommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
SKITTLES46
Registered Users

My Mood:

I not only *would* I HAVE. To me homeschooling isn't dependent on transportation or the ability to regularly meet with other homeschoolers.
Anabaptist Christian, Homeschooling, EBF, non-vaxing, non-circ, CD'ing, Wife to M (8-15-98), Blessed with DD 11, DS 7, DS 5, and my two reversal babes!, DS 16 months, and #5 due Jan '11!
SKITTLES46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
mommy2gr8kids78
Fairies and Fireflies~ Add Magic

My Mood:

We homeschool and it's not really the "in" thing around here either. My car is now being used by my DH during the day while he fixes our other car. I was never really big on hanging out with the homeschool groups anyway. I'm focused more on my children's education than meeting up with groups. That's not to say they don't get out once I have the car at night. I do look forward to having my car again and going on outings and to the library, but you can do it without the car. As far as the people in your area, tell them your kids are in an exclusive private school.

Catholic, Homeschooling, CD'ing, Open to life mama of 4 gifts from God.

mommy2gr8kids78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

YES!! It's totally worth it even if you can never meet up with other groups or even rarely leave your home. The kids and I have great fun just going for nature walks around our house. Although I would consider a library trip once a month to be mandatory
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we homeschool b/c it's the best choice for our son. Homeschooling isn't that common where we live, and we'll be going to one car in the fall, as well. Most of our friends think we're nuts, but it's what works for our family thus far.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
Leslieann
Registered Users
seller

I think it would be easier to home school than to send to public school in that situation actually. If your child was in school and had an emergency how would you get there? How reliable is the school bus would you ever have to drive him/ her?
I will be officially beginning Kindergarten with my son this fall, I currently have a car but I have lived without one in the past, you can home school just fine without a daytime vehicle I think!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes I would. Homeschooling was not always nearly as popular here as it is now. Part of it is the population boom in the area and part of it is the change in the Tx curriculum. I never meet with other homeschoolers. I'm antisocial and I can't drive (seizures). It is actually impossible for me to get my kids to school because we live too close to bus but the weather here isn't exactly ideal for walking most of the school year. If it isn't miserably hot it is likely storming. I don't mind a bit of rain but I don't want my kids sitting around school all day soaking wet nor will I take them out in a thunderstorm to walk to school. I am sure we could figure something out but I am not particularly keen on it anyway. The schools here are bad, I hated public school and I want my kids to actually get something out of their education. Homeschooling is what works for us. I don't really care how many people approve or how many others are doing it. But dh says I frequently do things just because people told me I shouldn't or it isn't "normal". He is at least some what correct about that though I don't feel homeschooling is one of those things. This is something I planned from the very beginning and my opinions haven't changed. As nice as it might be to be involved with a home school group I would personally be very stressed out by it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Penniless
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslieann View Post
I think it would be easier to home school than to send to public school in that situation actually. If your child was in school and had an emergency how would you get there? How reliable is the school bus would you ever have to drive him/ her?
I will be officially beginning Kindergarten with my son this fall, I currently have a car but I have lived without one in the past, you can home school just fine without a daytime vehicle I think!
I'm not just without a daytime vehicle. I'm without a vehicle entirely. We're a car free family.