Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My trip to WIC's "Breastfeeding Class"

I had to go to a breastfeeding class at WIC today, and I ended up being the only one in the class. As I was waiting, a few of the WIC ladies asked me if I'm still exclusively breastfeeding (DS is only 8 weeks), and when I said yes, they were so surprised and congratulatory. One lady said, "We love you!" They just made me feel like a supermom.
When I went into the room for the class, I was the only one and the lady teaching it confessed she's never actually breastfed. The lady who normally did the class wasn't there today so she had to teach it. She's pregnant and is planning on "trying to" breastfeed her baby. When I told her I'd already successfully breastfed DS1 until he was 13 months, she ended up spending the whole time asking me questions!
Before I left, another lady asked me if I was still breastfeeding exclusively and I said yes. Then she saw DS's diaper and said, "You're doing cloth diapers too? You're just a supermom!"
So my trip to WIC was quite the encouragement.

Advertisement

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
aquariummom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My trip to WIC's "Breastfeeding Class"

wow congrats I love when people appreciate the things we do to make are babies happy and healthier.
aquariummom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
chasing blue
Registered Users

My Mood:

That is awesome!

If you have the time you should see if your WIC has a breastfeeding peer helper program. I have been a peer helper for over 3 years now and it's wonderful to be able to help out other moms with breastfeeding.

Chasing Blue's blog
chasing blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is so awesome!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
jpabruzzese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What encouragement. Great to hear that they were so excited about breastfeeding. Seems silly to have a woman teach a bfing class though when she's never done it. You'd think they would cancel or postpone until some one more qualified would be available.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's funny that YOU ended up educating the "teacher."

But it's awesome that they were so encouraging of you. Great job mama!

I was having some BFing issues when DS3 was very tiny (5 months now, my how time flies), I called the BFing hotline.. aparantly the counselor for my clinic was out of town, so one of the other ladies called me and said "I can see you today if you'd like!" I actually ended up making the apointment with her for the next day... but she was SOOOO helpful!!!

The LC at my old clinic in Missouri was great too! I've had only good experiences with WIC BFing counselors.

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
laura_mae99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

u go girl... yea i am looking in to working with the wic office. I alreayd go in and talk to the breastfeeding classes about breatmilk donating. Isn't so sad that so many people don't try and breastfeed... it freaking makes me sick. My friend up here is a counsler (( breastfeeding counsler )) here at the wic office and she tells me all the time about moms that say they are going to breastfeed then don't. Or try it for a few days and say oh it wasn't for me. I love the excuse... well my husband wanted to feed the baby too... and i don't have a pump. My friend tells me all the time how dis-hearting it is for her when she calls these girls and even goes seems them and they just give up or say they are to tired... or just call her not for breastfeeding help, but help on how to dry up...