Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homeschooling newbie.. need some help please!

Ok, so we're going to start HS'ing in the fall.. Kindgergarten, with some activities to keep my almost 3 yr old happy and "included."

So my question is this.. can anyone outline their "schedule for me?"

Also, what do you server your kiddos for lunch.. I want to get out of the PB&J rut... as much as my kids LOVE their PB&J's, I want to ensure they get a well rounded diet.

Thanks
God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling newbie.. need some help please!

We don't really operate on a schedule. We have scheduled activities each week. Here is an example from our 1st grade year.
M- Acting classes.
T- Park Group
W- PE class in a.m., soccer in p.m.
Th- free day
F- Science classes
Some days we went to the library, an extra day at the park, a field trip, friend's house...or whatever. Of course, we found time each day to get a book lesson of some sort in.

As for lunch, we do PB & Nutella, grilled cheese, quesadilla, mac n cheese, nachos, or bean and cheese burritos. Sides would be fruit, yogurt, chips, carrots, ants on a log, and/or pickles. The best meal of the day for my kids is always breakfast.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hadn't thought of dong PB&Nutella.. I LOVE nutella! LOL Thanks!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Hi there, I was in your shoes last year at this time. I was about to start HSing my 5 year old, plus I had a 3 year old & a baby. Luckily kindergarten is pretty low-key. About halfway through the year, we started doing a loose schedule. It was something like this: Wake up, eat breakfast, clean up kitchen, do any chores that need to be done, school for an hour, play, lunch, clean up, play outside, 2:00 baby takes a nap so we do another hour of school. It worked pretty well. We tried to do math every day, writing most days, reading every day (he reads independently), then other subjects thrown in there as we have time. With the number & ages of my kids, this was about as rigid as I could do things. I think our year went pretty well.

As for lunches- also halfway through the year (when I read some books about scheduling), I started making a schedule for lunch. It was so helpful!! That way, every day I knew what we were having, and if the kids asked for something else (like DS2, age 3, who would ask for chicken nuggets every day), I could say "nope, today is (whatever) day." It also saved me the time of having to think of ideas. Our schedule was: M- Chicken quesadillas, Tu- Turkey sandwiches, smoothies, W- Mini pizzas (made on english muffins) or Bagel Bites, Th- PB&J, F- I called this kids' choice. Every day we had healthy sides as well. I haven't been doing this during the summer, but I'll start up again when we start school. I'm debating changing up a meal or two.
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wake up. If you are up before mom you can do whatever you want.
When mom wakes up the day starts.
Chickens need to be taken care of and eat if you're hungry and take medicine.
Pick up something to learn and do it
I'll sit with the younger ones for a couple pages of bookwork

The kids are required to play with each other at some point during the day, help clean a room and do their laundry. Each kid has a day for laundry which makes it so much easier to keep up without it piling up.

We eat when we are hungry. Often it is an apple or a cuke. I want my kids to learn to eat on their body's cue instead of the clock because with 5, there is usually ONE that isn't hungry when I cook, then it is a really stupid fight of us telling them to eat, but their body telling them not to eat. I figured out that the body is usually right and our rigid traditions teach us wrong.

I get totally bored with the same schedule over & over and I also deal with health problems in myself & some kids so there are days we get a LOT of 'schooling' done and many days we get not a whole lot of what people call schooling. Because of this, I focus on teaching my kids in everything we do. There are lessons everywhere and even in the simple things of chores.

sometimes they are in a crafting mode and make a bunch of things, then we find a craft sale or farmer's market to set up. The unplanned events end up being the most enjoyable, learning and fun!

I suppose you could call me anti-schedule, anti-tradition......etc. oh well. my kids are thriving and blowing everyone away.
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wake up and fold laundry/exercise before the kiddos get up. Once the kids get up we eat breakfast together and then they play till lunch. We usually do a lot of reading in the morning, just books for fun.

After lunch, Evan goes down for a nap (he usually goes down at about 1 and sleeps till 5, I know I'm lucky) and thats when we do all our "formal" lessons.

At about 4:30, Emma and I start getting dinner ready. We usually eat at about 6 (DH gets home at 5) then we go for a walk. 7:30 is bath time and kids are down by 8:15ish. DH and I usually go out to the hot tub for an hour and just hang out or sit by the fire if its winter.

For lunches:
We usually get lots of good cheese/butter at the farmers market along with in season fruits and veggies.

So lunch is usually cheese cubes/homemade yogurt with fruit and veggies/dip and butter bread (we make bread on the weekend). It's super easy for me to just throw things on a plate and doesn't leave much cleanup but the cutting board and knife.
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
I hadn't thought of dong PB&Nutella.. I LOVE nutella! LOL Thanks!
DS hates jam or jelly, so we do Nutella.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
n_kragh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For preschool and K we really just follow our girls, we offer to "do school" every day and work until they are ready to quit. When it is their choice it is unbelieveble how much they get done - DD#2 finished K in 5 months We really only worked on Reading, Phonics, and Math. Oh, and lunch is a big deal at our house because I'm a daycare provider also, so all of our meals have to follow USDA regs. We have milk, bread/crackers, chicken/ham/fish, fruits and veggies, and yogurt/pudding/cheese cubes.

SAH, Daycare Provider, Homeschooling, Mommy to Kaylee (11) Brooklyn (7) Emerson (5) Tatum (3) and Reece Addison (April 2012)
n_kragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #9
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wake at 7, make beds, dress, then watch TV untill I'm done making breakfast, brush teeth
Start school at 8
Snack at 10:00 (chips & dip, pretzels & PB, popcorn, and always with a fruit)
Back to school at 10:30
Lunch at 12:30 (mac n cheese, lots of leftovers, hotdogs, pizza, taco, etc)
Finish up with school (we're usually done) at 1
watch TV for 1 hour
Chores at 3
Go outside until 5
Bathed by 6:30
Supper at 7
Bedtime at 8:30
Do it all over again!!
I need to add that this is my ideal schedule, with 6 kids (10-7months) my schedule is usually out of control.
lisathib123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebytrudi View Post
Wake up. If you are up before mom you can do whatever you want.
When mom wakes up the day starts.
Chickens need to be taken care of and eat if you're hungry and take medicine.
Pick up something to learn and do it
I'll sit with the younger ones for a couple pages of bookwork

The kids are required to play with each other at some point during the day, help clean a room and do their laundry. Each kid has a day for laundry which makes it so much easier to keep up without it piling up.

We eat when we are hungry. Often it is an apple or a cuke. I want my kids to learn to eat on their body's cue instead of the clock because with 5, there is usually ONE that isn't hungry when I cook, then it is a really stupid fight of us telling them to eat, but their body telling them not to eat. I figured out that the body is usually right and our rigid traditions teach us wrong.

I get totally bored with the same schedule over & over and I also deal with health problems in myself & some kids so there are days we get a LOT of 'schooling' done and many days we get not a whole lot of what people call schooling. Because of this, I focus on teaching my kids in everything we do. There are lessons everywhere and even in the simple things of chores.

sometimes they are in a crafting mode and make a bunch of things, then we find a craft sale or farmer's market to set up. The unplanned events end up being the most enjoyable, learning and fun!

I suppose you could call me anti-schedule, anti-tradition......etc. oh well. my kids are thriving and blowing everyone away.
Yeah, I'm not wanting a super rigid schedule. I agree with you on the eating thing. When I fix a meal, if my 5 yr old tells me he's not hungry I just say "OK, well let me know when you are." Like you said, it's a stupid fight, and usually pointless!

Thanks for the insight that a non-schedule is ok... that's pretty much how we did pre-school. I didn't have a schedule or a cirriculum, I just incorperated learning into normal daily activities. For instance, he learned about cows and milking them beause we drove by some grazing cattle and he started asking questions about them. He learned nature vs manmade by asking me about "did God make.....(insert anything here)"

God bless~