Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
rykersmommy
Registered Users

Using wool for the first time

My aunt kindly knit some wool soakers/shorties for my little son. I was planning to use them for overnights since I've read they are a great help at preventing leaks, which we have a huuuuge problem with!

I am confused on lanolizing though - is it necessary?

If so, how do I do it? How often does it need to be done?

I've also read that wool doesn't need to be washed as frequently? So in theory I could just hang them to air out during the day right?

Thanks!

Advertisement

rykersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Using wool for the first time

Lanolizing isn't strictly necessary but it recommended especially with nighttime wearing. Wool is absorbent on its own its the lanolin that makes it water resistant. It also is what makes it "self cleaning" so you don't need to wash it as often - without it you'd probably have to wash more.

I liked the instructions at Green mountain diapers. I have since modified them but its a good place to start. They are simple!

People opinions vary on how often it needs to be done. I choose to wash the nighttime wool (I use machine knit longies) about once every 1.5-2 weeks - so up to 14 wears. I started using a lanolin "refresher spray" a few times to help go 2 weeks. I use lanolin every wash. For daytime wool they often get milk or something on them and they end up getting washed every 4-10 wears - 10 would be about as long as I feel comfortable going anyway.

My process isn't quite standard but it works well for me. It's not an exact science.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-02-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
lapedestrienne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd say for nighttime you'll definitely want to lano. This is what gives the wool its "waterproofing" and with a wet diaper pressed up against it for 8+ hours, you want waterproof!

I, too, lanolinize just about every time I wash, roughly once every 2-3 weeks. I soak in Eucalan or Unicorn fiber wash, squeeze out the dirty water, then refill the wash basin (cheap plastic dish pan) with tepid water. In an old jelly jar, I mix ~1/2 tsp solid lanolin and a drop of Eucalan with hot hot water--as hot as the tap goes--so like 120 F. Shake the lanolin mix til it looks milky, then pour on top of the cooler water. It forms a layer on the top, so when you dunk the covers they pick up a fair amount right away. I usually leave the covers to soak overnight, but a couple hours is probably fine.

I use NOW Foods lanolin, because it's cheap and readily available, more effective and waaay more affordable than Lansinoh.
lapedestrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I trim pills, then spot clean with dr bronners and warm water (will rinse them a little if I feel I used alot of soap). Then I fill laundry sink a few inches with warm water (I think I do too warm) I fill a jar with hot water and use lansinoh. I fill the cap on the Eucalan half way. I empty that into the jar and toss the lid i the sink to rinse. Rinse lid. Add contents of jar, rinse jar.

Nighttime longies I will just turn inside and add in. Daytime I will usually put in first and ensure they get submerged. Swish them a little. Then Turn them inside out. I turn them over a few times. I set time for 20m. then leave them. If I really good I will turn them over again at another point.

When timer goes off let water out. Gentle squeeze some water out by pressing against sink. If a pair didn't get put inside out I will now. Put longies in washer set to drain & spin on low. That takes 11m. Then I lay them out on drying rack. About 24 hr later I turn them right side in. Give them about 12-24 hours to finish drying. Moist summer takes longer than our dry heated house in the winter.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool and my Tinkle Traps Review. DESTASHING HERE!

Last edited by Pixi6s; 07-02-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
rykersmommy
Registered Users

So helpful! Thanks everyone

Another question: if it is 100% wool... How do I handle getting poop on the cover? Just gentle hand washing?
rykersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykersmommy View Post
So helpful! Thanks everyone

Another question: if it is 100% wool... How do I handle getting poop on the cover? Just gentle hand washing?
The few poops I've dealt with I've just sprayed all the poop off with the diaper sprayer, then rubbed that area either with the Eucalan and water mixture if no visible spot or with dr bronners / water mixture if a spot/stain (how i treat all stains/marks). I was told the olive oil bar method but I haven't found it necessary yet.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
MamaNolley
Registered Users
seller

Great thread, thank you! Just wondering - with the Eucalan wash, do you all use the "no rinse" kind or the regular "fine fabric wash"?
thanks again!
MamaNolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNolley View Post
Great thread, thank you! Just wondering - with the Eucalan wash, do you all use the "no rinse" kind or the regular "fine fabric wash"?
thanks again!
Personally I use this one. Also I recently purchased a liquid lano and do the same as above but squeeze lano in the jar for 4 second.

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-23-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
rory098
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

:high five: thank you so much, these are the instructions that helped simplify the process for me and I have been successfully using wool ever since!!
rory098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Woohoo!

I've kept it simple, though its recently been suggested that I still make it too complicated and I should be using the "handwash" setting on the washer and lanolizing less often.