Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Sized or OS after newborn?

I will definitely use newborn size at first, but I am so torn about what to go with after. I am mainly talking about prefitteds, which will make up about half of our diapers (the rest will be prefolds and a few flats to try). I like that the sized would be less bulky, but it seems like such a waste when the OS will start fitting at the same time as the small. Maybe the happy medium would be mostly OS, with a few sized ones for under clothes when we go out? Thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Michelle0818
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sized or OS after newborn?

You never know what your baby will be like, size-wise/build-wise in a month or 2 (or 3!), so having a diaper that you can adjust as needed is beneficial, so OS seems best. I got the best fits with the OS diapers most of the time, however, I did purchase a couple fitteds to use immediately and they did work great. But once my babies grew out of them, I couldn't use them anymore and had to sell them. They're still in the same OS diapers they've had since they first fit in them.

Last edited by Michelle0818; 06-29-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Michelle0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
abh5e8
Registered Users

Flats can be the best of both worlds. Adjustable, like a one size but still trim.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies.

I am buying prefitteds mainly for the other half to use. I plan to mostly use sized GMD prefolds (and flats if I can get the hang of them) myself.

I am going to get a few different covers to try, but definitely sticking to the OS (or 2 size) options there. It's the prefitted sizing that's killing me.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

I would do flats & sized stuff. I've grown to dislike rise snaps. Although the weird fold over waistband some have like the meos are OK in my book.
kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

I went with 12 NB, 8 small, and 8 OS prefitted. So we'd only need the rise snaps and have the extra bulk in the medium range. I can live with that.

Now to choose WHICH flats to get...
Old 07-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Featherhead
Registered Users

I would do GMD muslin! If I wasn't in Canada, I think that's what I would have gone with, but with our dollar being so low I went with the white one-size from GMD as it was quite a bit cheaper.
Featherhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
missybaker
Registered Users

We went with about 10 one size and a stash of 2 dozen prefolds ( better fit), 1/2 dozen flats and covers. Honestly we use the prefolds and flats way more than the AIO's.
missybaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
nannorie85
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like a good choice! I like bamboo flats but have heard wonderful things about muslin over birdseye for cotton. There's also half flats which fit awesome on little babies and then can be doubled up to make a full flat for older ones...not that you need another sized or OS dilemma. I wondered the same thing about getting the hang of flats but I think you'll love them. They're so simple after you play around with them for a little bit.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
tubbyaquahippo
Registered Users
seller

I like our bamboo flats from diaper junction. We use those and OS WAHM hybrid fitteds with fold down rises. I don't really like the weird way snap down rises on covers make the leg gussets bunch up in one spot when in use. If you can find fold down rise covers I think they'd be more trim and comfortable.
tubbyaquahippo is offline   Reply With Quote