Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Wool storage?

How do y'all store the wool that you aren't using? I googled it and found that it needs to have air and that it should be in an air tight container. Um... I upcycled some sweaters etc, plus ordered a used disana soaker that turned out to be the wrong size and we won't be using it for at least 6 mos or so. I don't want moths though! Do you stash it in a tub in the garage or what?

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wool storage?

I don't have much that we aren't using right now but what I do have is in a cardboard box in my closet. It's good to have it with something moth-repellent...like cedar or use a wash bar with moth-repelling eo's in it or something.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I store in a cedar chest. Even in there I use a ziploc.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wish I had a cedar chest! Right now I have a garbage bag full of wool thrown in the closet; it was in a rubbermaid type tote with the out-of-use diapers, but when it got too full I guess I just tossed the wool in the garbage bag. I do use a wash that is supposed to help repel moths--in the summer we used to have moths all over the house (inside) at night because of how we had the screens in, and I worried about all the wool sitting out in the changing area but never did get moth holes, maybe because of the wash.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I store in a sealed Ziploc.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, all! Cedar repells moths? Because I don't like mothballs... Unless they have some better smelling ones than I remember
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cedar basically repels any pests. You could also get some Cedar wood chips.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

They sell cedar blocks and balls so you can turn a storage tub into cedar storage.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
zorabete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Thanks, all! Cedar repells moths? Because I don't like mothballs... Unless they have some better smelling ones than I remember
You definitely don't want anything like mothballs stored with any clothing or diapers that you are going to use for your littles, or any other human, for that matter. They are made of nasty and are only effective in high concentrations.

In order to safely store your wool, make sure that it is clean and free of any pests (you can make sure that you don't have any hitchhikers by giving your clean DRY wool a spin in the dryer on high heat for several minutes--I usually do 30--the tumbling and the heat will tend to destroy any eggs or larva that might be present), then store them in an airtight box or bag. I would suggest getting them out and cleaning them or running them through the dryer at least once a year.

Carpet beetles and clothing moths often prefer soiled material, so making sure that your woolens are clean and properly stored will go a long way to protecting them. Regular vacuuming and making sure that floors and closets are clean and aired out will help control any pests. Eucalyptus, cedar and lavender are often thought to be repellent to clothes moths and carpet beetles; I wouldn't count on them for protecting wool on their own, but they will make your woolies smell nice.

Editing to add, "soiled" can also mean well lanolized--insects are often attracted to oils, sweat, and food stains on clothing, in addition to the fibers themselves.

Last edited by zorabete; 01-22-2018 at 05:23 PM.
zorabete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorabete View Post
You definitely don't want anything like mothballs stored with any clothing or diapers that you are going to use for your littles, or any other human, for that matter. They are made of nasty and are only effective in high concentrations.

In order to safely store your wool, make sure that it is clean and free of any pests (you can make sure that you don't have any hitchhikers by giving your clean DRY wool a spin in the dryer on high heat for several minutes--I usually do 30--the tumbling and the heat will tend to destroy any eggs or larva that might be present), then store them in an airtight box or bag. I would suggest getting them out and cleaning them or running them through the dryer at least once a year.

Carpet beetles and clothing moths often prefer soiled material, so making sure that your woolens are clean and properly stored will go a long way to protecting them. Regular vacuuming and making sure that floors and closets are clean and aired out will help control any pests. Eucalyptus, cedar and lavender are often thought to be repellent to clothes moths and carpet beetles; I wouldn't count on them for protecting wool on their own, but they will make your woolies smell nice.

Editing to add, "soiled" can also mean well lanolized--insects are often attracted to oils, sweat, and food stains on clothing, in addition to the fibers themselves.
What a well thought out answer Lanolin "traps" urine so "stripping" it all out before storing sound like a good plan.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote