Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Lorelai
Registered Users

Are there any prefolds out there comparable to GMD?

First of all, I should say hi since I think this is my first post. I've been a longtime lurker and I've learned so much about cloth diapering here. But now I need help from those with more experience and the internet isn't being super forthcoming. I'll apologize for my essay in advance.

Okay, so I have a small 9 month old and I've stretched my small GMD prefolds to their capacity. I change her very often but a trifolded prefold no longer seems to be cutting it. She's getting rashy and of course I don't want that. It's possible that I need to strip, but after reading a lot about that, I think my issue is that I need to size up. We've just been so completely broke that buying another dozen of GMD's unbleached organic prefolds for $40, plus having to get a couple new covers to accommodate the bigger diapers, has been a real challenge. Though it's only $2 more to get the unbleached organic vs the regular! I have one Flip cover that works okay, but my Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap size 1 covers are a great fit on my LO. I know there are cheaper covers out there but I'd rather have some that fit her well than cheap out a few bucks, you know?

Anyway, even though GMD has added EVEN MORE sizes to their prefolds since I last looked, I think what I need are the red edge mediums to get more absorbency. I intend to snappi them until they no longer fit that way, and then I'll trifold. Main question: Are there any prefolds out there that compare in sizing and quality to GMD? If so, which correlate to the medium size or thereabouts? I'm finding all the different brands sizing info to be confusing. I need a chart, lol! I'd prefer to get unbleached, even better if they are organic, but I'd be interested to see what my other options are for comparison. Also, I'm assuming the Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap size 2 will fit over those.

Sidenote/question - I have GMD organic unbleached flats that I prefer to use as back up - she seems to really soak through them when they are folded in say the kite fold. She wets heavily in the front but the origami fold doesn't really fit her well around the legs. I've been padfolding flats and adding some homemade small flannel flats as doublers, like I said, they get very wet. I try not to go longer than two hours between changes, usually she only goes longer if she falls (and stays) asleep for long periods of time. How on earth do you all cloth diaper with flats through toddlerhood?!

Advertisement

Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Are there any prefolds out there comparable to GMD?

I believe the GMD Red are medium wide baby which is a bit of a different size than other brands. Most mediums are about the same size, and most sites have a charts with dimensions to compare the various sizes between. You;d need to find another brand that makes wide baby prefolds.

I really wanted to note that the jump between thristies duo sz1 and sz2 is very big. I am a sz1 believer and use it pretty much exclusively through the first few months. We have one duo sz2 and its just big -- and my LO is 2 now -- That saying it does fit her (it didn't when she outgrew sz1s) but it just seems to fit wider than most OS covers. Currently she is just barely in the full let out rise of Flips, when she does wear the sz2, I believe she is on the middle rise snaps.

I'd recommend bummis medium (if you can still find that and you like aplix) or going to any OS cover. At the very least only buy one sz2 to try out before investing incase you are disappointed. I have read this has happened to alot of people, though I've also read that some have made the size 2 work even though they are a bit big at first.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Lorelai
Registered Users

Good to know about the Thirsties covers... that's kind of disappointing actually! I have some wiggle room around the waist, but not the rise, at least so long as I'm padfolding prefolds. Will size 1 still fit over a medium prefold with a snappi? I'm not exactly sure of LO's weight but she's on the smaller side, 10-25th percentile for height and weight. I really prefer snaps. Shoot, maybe Flip is my best bet then? Has anyone tried Buttons, or Imagine covers? I just don't feel confident that the Flip will keep in the poo. She's still pretty much EBF. I also have a Blueberry Mini Coveralls but I feel like she outgrew that one fast, and I prefer how the Thirsties has the elastic at the front... I think the coverage is better. Plus Blueberry covers are so pricey... same with Best Bottoms, so cute, but pricey.

Regarding GMD prefold sizes, according to their chart now, medium wide no longer exists. They've added Newbie, Novice, and Intermediate though. I think it must be a very recent change, as I don't remember noticing that when I look a month or so ago.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
abemom2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like the one Buttons cover I have. Sweet Pea is also pretty good, they are thinner than the Buttons and have a bit of stretch. I like them both. I also found there to be a huge size jump between Thirsties Duo size 1 to 2. The bigger ones are huge for my petite kids.

Wait until Black Friday to purchase if you can. There are some great sales then.

Last edited by abemom2; 11-06-2015 at 08:09 AM.
abemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sweet Pea one size covers are reasonably priced.
http://www.abbyslane.com/Sweet-Pea-O...ers_p_811.html

I don't remember when the size 2 duos starting fitting my last two.

I like(d) Osocozy prefolds but I don't think they're any cheaper than GMD.

((Jamie: mom to five & Baby W due 01/5/16! Domestic diva, in love with my firefighter.
*My posts are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice*))
Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:13 AM   #6
rory098
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama! We also use GMD and LO gets rashy if we use a PUL cover, so I switched to wool (I bought one wool cover used from a mom on here and had another purchased off our amazon registry) and that has taken care of the rash issue! If she gets a little red from time to time, I let her "air out" for a few minutes before putting on clean diaper. Although she isn't crawling yet...
rory098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
IVmom
Registered Users

There are lots of brands of prefolds; they all make a medium size similar to the red edge. (Red edge is medium and still available. The wide baby was white, I think.) The *exact* dimensions of medium vary some, but probably not enough to worry about. I've heard from a lot of people that GMD is the best quality, but I haven't actually ever seen them to compare. The Nicki brand ones that I have seen fine to me. I definitely agree you should wait for black Friday sales and then go for the brand you can get a good deal on. GMD says on their website that they're not having and sales except on bamboo which is already on sale.

As for covers.. I really doubt you'd fit a medium prefold under a duo size 1. I tried really hard to with both my kids but there was no way out was going to work for me. I'm a fan of the size 2s. They worked for me right after the 1s. I have some imagine covers and think the fit is awkward. It's like the elastic goes too far to the front of the diaper and not enough in the back, if that makes sense. It's basically unusable at the smallest rise setting because the elastic is all just bunched in the front. I like flip covers, but they're definitely not great for poop containment for me. They are also too trim around the hips to work well with snappied diapers; they're really meant for pad folding.
IVmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
kjealysci
Registered Users
seller

I love my diaper rite prefolds from diaper junction. They are still great and im using them on baby #2 and #3.
As far as covers, there are several inexpensive brands out there that work just fine. Reading reviews helped me decide which covers to try. I have tried several and there are things about each that i like for different reasons. I just purchased some buttons brand covers and im surprised how much i like them. They are alot cheaper than best bottoms too.

Last edited by kjealysci; 11-06-2015 at 07:58 AM.
kjealysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
TootsieRoll
Registered Users

I love the Imagine and Nicki's Bamboo Prefolds!
TootsieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #10
Lorelai
Registered Users

Thanks for all of the responses! I can very likely wait for Black Friday sales, but I'd like to know what to buy when it comes around, you know? GMD is in such high demand that it seems like they rarely go on sale. I'll look into other options, but I think prefolds are pretty comparably priced, especially if I want organic or unbleached, which would be my first choice.

I'd forgotten about Sweet Pea covers, so thank you all for reminding me. I think I'll try one of those and a Buttons cover as well to see what we like. My LO is quite petite so I doubt the Thirsties size 2 would work very well.

As for wool, I do have some wool pants my stepmom knitted for me, but they aren't treated or anything. I don't think she bothers, but I'm a little nervous about trying them. We haven't had issues with PUL before now, so I think my rash issue is more a diaper capacity problem than anything. Even with frequent changing, it's a lot of wet right next to her skin.