Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #1011
jane gun
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

soap nuts are fabulous and very cheap! just add some tea tree oil in for some natural fragrance. and just make sure you leave a lot of room for agitation.

Advertisement

jane gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #1012
IzzisMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have a question about the recommendation to add oxy to every load - my limited research on oxy found that most oxygen bleaches contain washing soda/sodium carbonate as well as the sodium perocarbonate -- if I remember correctly washing soda shouldn't be added for soft water. Will this backfire for those of us with soft water (and especially those of us with front loader and low water issues)?

IHA: Diapers/Wool Girly 0-9 Girly 12-24 Misc. Baby Mama Clothes & Shoes
IzzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #1013
empy
Registered Users
seller

What great information! The recommended amount of Country Save has always worked for me, but after reading about so many problems here, I felt compelled to buy Rockin' Green - almost like I MUST be doing something wrong because Country Save was so easy. :-P

I didn't know about the hot water rinses....my problem is the cost of that. I wonder how much more my monthly gas bill will be from heating all of those rinses!!! Does anyone have any idea?
empy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #1014
coffeegirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by empy View Post
What great information! The recommended amount of Country Save has always worked for me, but after reading about so many problems here, I felt compelled to buy Rockin' Green - almost like I MUST be doing something wrong because Country Save was so easy. :-P

I didn't know about the hot water rinses....my problem is the cost of that. I wonder how much more my monthly gas bill will be from heating all of those rinses!!! Does anyone have any idea?
The bill will be higher, but in our case it wasn't exhorbitantly so. And it works really well. We can't do hot rinses on our machine but instead of an extra rinse we just run an extra hot wash (short cycle) with no detergent and it rinses everything great.

As for your laundry routine, have ever heard the phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it?" If you're having no problems with CS then I strongly suggest you not switch to RnG just for the heck of it. If you search through some of the archives you'll find that MANY more mamas have had issues with RnG than with CS. Just my

coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #1015
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

there's so many information that i've not known before , thanks!
zavalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #1016
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

subbing. I was coming on tonight to express my frustration with detergents! So glad to have found this thread. I'm going to take a few suggestions, and see if I can get my diapers clean. I'm so tired of stinky diapers. Can't use cloth overnight because of the ammonia. I switched to RnG last fall due to all the raves, but I haven't really been impressed (although I LOVE the plum scent that was the Christmas special.)

My old routine: wet pail with a squirt of Bac out, water changed daily, all poops rinsed, cold prewash, super hot wash with Tide free/clear, two hot washes plain (I turn my water heater up super hot) with extra water added to each load.

My current routine: wet pail with a squirt of Bac out, water changed daily, all poops rinsed, cold prewash with vinegar, overnight soak with 3 tbsp. RnG on hot water, next morning turn water heater up super hot, one additional hot wash with 1 Tbsp RnG, two cold rinses, 1 final super hot wash with nothing, 2 cold rinses. Extra water added to each wash.

My next pLan: prerinse, wet pail with bac out, HOT prewash with vinegar, Find some HE detergent, add oxiclean and borax and washing soda to each load (we have super hard water, even with a water softener), turn water heater up to hot, two plain hot water washes, try to get the rinses to be warm (I'l; have to manually do this if I can remember).

My problem is slightly funky smelling diapers, and super super ammonia overnight and in the pail. They'll start to smell ammonia after afew hours. Whcih means they're not clean. I'm just trying to figure out how to get them clean, and keep them clean.

I read through the first 300 posts, but that has taken over an hour, and there are more than one thousand posts!!! This thread is awesome.
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #1017
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzisMom View Post
i have a question about the recommendation to add oxy to every load - my limited research on oxy found that most oxygen bleaches contain washing soda/sodium carbonate as well as the sodium perocarbonate -- if I remember correctly washing soda shouldn't be added for soft water. Will this backfire for those of us with soft water (and especially those of us with front loader and low water issues)?
It does not contain washing soda....it turns into washing soda once the oxygen bleaching action is used up.

But anyway, your point is still good. But, no, there is not enough there to mess up your wash. Washing soda won't hurt soft water washes, it is just a waste. Washing soda softens water by binding with the dissolved minerals in hard water so that the detergent can work better. It also changes the pH of the water so that detergent can work better as most detergent prefers an alkaline water. So, for you, if you had NO dissolved solids in your water, that would not help. However, making the water more alkaline can still make the detergent more effective...and most detergent has washing soda in it anyway.

So, keep up with the oxy, soft or hard water.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #1018
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
The bill will be higher, but in our case it wasn't exhorbitantly so. And it works really well. We can't do hot rinses on our machine but instead of an extra rinse we just run an extra hot wash (short cycle) with no detergent and it rinses everything great.

As for your laundry routine, have ever heard the phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it?" If you're having no problems with CS then I strongly suggest you not switch to RnG just for the heck of it. If you search through some of the archives you'll find that MANY more mamas have had issues with RnG than with CS. Just my
Yeah, i did the research somewhere.....it was really very low...the cost of using hot water. Like pennies per load, not dollars. Dont remember exactly.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #1019
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henndoc View Post
subbing. I was coming on tonight to express my frustration with detergents! So glad to have found this thread. I'm going to take a few suggestions, and see if I can get my diapers clean. I'm so tired of stinky diapers. Can't use cloth overnight because of the ammonia. I switched to RnG last fall due to all the raves, but I haven't really been impressed (although I LOVE the plum scent that was the Christmas special.)

My old routine: wet pail with a squirt of Bac out, water changed daily, all poops rinsed, cold prewash, super hot wash with Tide free/clear, two hot washes plain (I turn my water heater up super hot) with extra water added to each load.

My current routine: wet pail with a squirt of Bac out, water changed daily, all poops rinsed, cold prewash with vinegar, overnight soak with 3 tbsp. RnG on hot water, next morning turn water heater up super hot, one additional hot wash with 1 Tbsp RnG, two cold rinses, 1 final super hot wash with nothing, 2 cold rinses. Extra water added to each wash.

My next pLan: prerinse, wet pail with bac out, HOT prewash with vinegar, Find some HE detergent, add oxiclean and borax and washing soda to each load (we have super hard water, even with a water softener), turn water heater up to hot, two plain hot water washes, try to get the rinses to be warm (I'l; have to manually do this if I can remember).

My problem is slightly funky smelling diapers, and super super ammonia overnight and in the pail. They'll start to smell ammonia after afew hours. Whcih means they're not clean. I'm just trying to figure out how to get them clean, and keep them clean.

I read through the first 300 posts, but that has taken over an hour, and there are more than one thousand posts!!! This thread is awesome.

I think your new plan sounds good. I think you are right to notice that your diapers are not clean....and you need some stronger detergent.

Don't forget that you may need to start with a disinfection to start from scratch.....so you may need a bleach or boil session to evaluate if your new routine is really working.

And, thank you for taking the time to read all those darn posts! I love it when people learn and help themselves!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #1020
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, also, for those who are looking for answers but are overwhelmed by the size of the thread now....

once you have read the first post, which has a bunch of beginning info....

you can use the SEARCH feature at the top of the page. Right up at the top....it says "search this thread"

So, you can search on a key word.....or, you can do advanced search and search on a person. Now....there have been a TON of great posts by people OTHER than me...but since I am only posting answers, not questions, if you were to search on posts only by me, you would see all my posts in this thread. Then, if you saw an answer that looked good to you, you can go back and read the questions and discussions from everyone else around that answer to get all the info to fill in the blanks.

Might save you some time and help you filter out some of the repeat info.....