Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #1021
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ok so I'm sorry this is really overwhelming to me lol... I am just getting ready to start cloth diapering for my baby that is due in may. Ive been wondering what kind of laundry detergent to use. My dh has some skin issues. I can't use regular tide on his stuff because it makes his skin really itchy. I have an HE machine. So we only use cheer laundry soap. I know nothing about WAHM or any of the non store brand soaps. I can use a free and clear on him and he's ok though, which is what I used when dd was born because I was afraid of her having a skin allergy like dh. But she was fine with cheer also. Anyways my question is... Should I use tide free and clear try something new such as a WAHM or some other brand. And has anyone had any experience with cheer? What was your experience with that... And I think we have like medium to softer water but I'm not sure...

Advertisement

A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #1022
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

You can use what you have.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #1023
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
I think your new plan sounds good. I think you are right to notice that your diapers are not clean....and you need some stronger detergent.

Don't forget that you may need to start with a disinfection to start from scratch.....so you may need a bleach or boil session to evaluate if your new routine is really working.

And, thank you for taking the time to read all those darn posts! I love it when people learn and help themselves!!!!!!!
Questions:

1. Could I just add oxiclean, borax, and washing soda to the RnG? I'm having a hard time tracking down Country Save. Our local health store doesn't have it, and I don't want to have to pay $15 shipping for it!

2. BumGenius Diaper wash is made by Country Save. Is it as good? This is available locally. But, I only want to try it if you think it is as good as Country Save, since this is the detergent you recommend.

3. To boil - do you just take your already clean diapers, boil them for 10 minutes, and then wash?

4. If BumGenius recommends bleaching diapers once a month, well, with my stash, I go through the entire stash once a month, so should I add bleach to every load?

5. Wouldn't bleach break down the fibers, even used at this amount? Like swimsuits in the chlorine from swimming pools?

Thanks again for the information. I'm sure I'll think of other questions, but this is it for now!
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #1024
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henndoc View Post
Questions:

1. Could I just add oxiclean, borax, and washing soda to the RnG? I'm having a hard time tracking down Country Save. Our local health store doesn't have it, and I don't want to have to pay $15 shipping for it!

2. BumGenius Diaper wash is made by Country Save. Is it as good? This is available locally. But, I only want to try it if you think it is as good as Country Save, since this is the detergent you recommend.

3. To boil - do you just take your already clean diapers, boil them for 10 minutes, and then wash?

4. If BumGenius recommends bleaching diapers once a month, well, with my stash, I go through the entire stash once a month, so should I add bleach to every load?

5. Wouldn't bleach break down the fibers, even used at this amount? Like swimsuits in the chlorine from swimming pools?

Thanks again for the information. I'm sure I'll think of other questions, but this is it for now!

No, you cant add anything to rng, it is not working now, so you need to switch. You can use tide or something like that (look at the store brand options in the pinstripes link available in the OP) and add the stuff to that.

Bumgenius diaper is basically CS with oxy I think....(can't remember) but it is a little expensive. It looked like a good product though, so you can totally use it, but you DONT need to add anything to it, they kinda did that for you I think.

To boil, yes, just like that.

As for bleach. What BG is saying is that it is OK to use bleach once in a while. I suggest you only use it when you need it. It is great to start fresh....like when you have ammonia problems or stink problems. So, bleach all your inserts if they are stinky....and start with new detergent. Then, if everything stays clean, you dont ever need to bleach. But, if you find that after so many weeks, even with a new routine....you end up stinky again, time to bleach. But, if you find that the stinkies return after every wash....then it is a routine problem.

So, bleach is good to boost your routine, but your routine should take care of 90% of your problems. You should not have to rely on bleach to wash your clothes. It is a little hard on fabrics, and it does break down natural fabrics.

Using a little vinegar in the rinse cycle will help to neutralize the bad effects of the bleach on your fabrics.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #1025
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

what is sodium tallowate and what is it's purpose in a detergent?

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #1026
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykiddoes View Post
what is sodium tallowate and what is it's purpose in a detergent?
It is lard.....and lard is just a fat that is used in soapmaking. It is actually a good fat for soapmaking, it has good soap properties....but because the word "lard" grosses people out, and the idea of using animal fat rather than vegetable fat freaks some people out....most people use all vegetable fats these days.

But, it is really fine, unless you have an ethical problem with animal products.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #1027
jemedley
Registered Users
seller

so, i tried sunning once. it didn't work. i know that's not the topic, but any feedback on that? also bought some inserts on DS recently and they reek horribly of ammonia. tried vinegar, baby oxiclean, bac out, sunning, rng soaks, nothing is working. help?
jemedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #1028
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if Planet Ultra liquid detergent is CD safe? I sent DH to the store and for some reason that's what he came back with.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #1029
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymom View Post
Was wondering if anyone could tell me if Planet Ultra liquid detergent is CD safe? I sent DH to the store and for some reason that's what he came back with.
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...tchoices.htm#P

According to this list referenced in the first post, Planet Ultra is 5 stars and highly recommended! Yeah!
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #1030
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
TY TY TY for this thread mama! I'd been struggling with stinky diapers for a while now. Tried dawn but was afraid to use more than a tsp in my HE FLer, so it didn't do much good. After reading this, I ran all my inserts through a vinegar rinse, bleach + new detergent (TJs powder), vinegar rinse. I also added hot water to the washes pouring through the soap tray. It took two full cycles of this as I could still smell that sewer smell on the wet dipes after the first time through, but it WORKED!!! no more stink!! Not in the wash and not when peed in.

Since my machine won't do a hot/hot wash I was trying to catch it and change before the cold rinses but I'm just not that on top of things, so now I am going to try warm/warm with vinegar in a first "quick" wash and then detergent in a second heavy wash + extra rinse. Oxyclean is on the shopping list. I stool don't quite understand one thing - should I be buying washing powder in addition to the laundry detergent which already has some in it and adding an additional scoop of that and oxy and borax? I feel like I missed something and that might be redundant.

Thanks again!