Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #1031
CAFluff
Registered Users

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Okay, I haven't read through all the posts, so I'm sorry if this is repeat stuff/questions. I'm having an issue with repelling/leaking. I have all BumGenius diapers. I use 4.0 OS's for my 2-year-old and 3.0 AIO's for my 4-month-old. We have hard water. I started off using Nellie's washing soda and following BG's instructions: use 1/2 manufacturers recommended amount in cold wash, same in hot wash, double rinse, line dry covers, tumble dry inserts. Then I ran out of Nellie's and started using BG's detergent. That's when the problems seemed to start. I'm getting leaking out of the legs mostly and the diapers aren't absorbing (I drop a drop of water on the diaper and it just rolls right off the diaper cover...same with the inserts).

I bought some Bright Green detergent at the grocery store that my friend who has the same water supply who also CD's uses (she also has all BG's). I started using that, along with about a tablespoon of Borax in my wash routine (basically the same as what BG recommends), plus a cup of white vinegar in one of the extra rinse cycles. That didn't work so I stripped the 4.0's, by hand, with blue Dawn and tumble dried. That worked, but then when I went and washed them again they started repelling again. I stripped them again and rinsed until there were no bubbles and now they're still kind of repelling.

I'm REALLY frustrated!! I really love cloth diapering and don't want to go back to disposables. HELP!!

Advertisement

CAFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #1032
JMFutures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a question....I am having a horrible time getting poo smell out of ds diapers. He had a really really bad and quite lengthy battle with a viral gastroenteritis. And i cannot get rid of the smell. He still is having horrible smelling stools. I have been doing tide to line 1, scoop oxy and because i don't have any washing soda but do have open bag of RnG I was using a scoop of that also in Hot water with extra rinses. anything more i could try?? thanks in advance - they smell like a barn.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #1033
IzzisMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd suggest that you do an overnight soak starting in hot water with a ton of RnG -- I do that as part of my stripping process and it always brings out smells that I didn't even know were there!!

IHA: Diapers/Wool Girly 0-9 Girly 12-24 Misc. Baby Mama Clothes & Shoes
IzzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #1034
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henndoc View Post
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...tchoices.htm#P

According to this list referenced in the first post, Planet Ultra is 5 stars and highly recommended! Yeah!
I'm sorry, I completely forgot to come back and say thanks for your reply!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #1035
JMFutures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzisMom View Post
I'd suggest that you do an overnight soak starting in hot water with a ton of RnG -- I do that as part of my stripping process and it always brings out smells that I didn't even know were there!!
I did this last night....no change
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #1036
henndoc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFutures View Post
I did this last night....no change
RnG simply doesn't work for me.

I'd suggest boiling them. In a huge pot, boil for 10 minutes, then throw in the wash and strip with a squirt of dawn, then rinse with hot or warm until there are no more bubbles.

Smells are from bacteria. You need to kill the bacteria. That's the boiling. The dawn will them remove any remaining greasy residue.

Good luck.
henndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #1037
JMFutures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i don't have he time to boil that many dipes...or a pot big enough to hold more than 2 at a time
Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #1038
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
i don't have he time to boil that many dipes...or a pot big enough to hold more than 2 at a time
Maybe try TTO?
MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #1039
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I got some diapers in a trade and washed them up. Once Lily peed on them, they REEKED of ammonia, bad! They are an AIO, so, boiling is not an option. I have hard water and a front loader washing machine that has a setting to heat the water to 150-160 degrees. I have available to me now: borax, bleach, washing soda, fels naptha, tide (I think makes my diapers stink), RNG (I don't think works), vinegar, dawn, and charlies soap (seems to be working so far). What do I do to fix these?

(I have tried country save, mountain green, BNC, and allen's over the last couple years without much success.)

Also, if you could suggest a permanent wash routine for me, that would be so helpful. I just don't think I get this whole front loader washing machine routine. I'm just not successful with it.

Last edited by luvmykiddoes; 03-22-2011 at 04:45 PM.
luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #1040
IzzisMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Have you tried Bac Out?

IHA: Diapers/Wool Girly 0-9 Girly 12-24 Misc. Baby Mama Clothes & Shoes
IzzisMom is offline   Reply With Quote