Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #101
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Swans View Post
I want to add my routine. We have a whole house water softener that merely makes our water neutral and top loader. We use mainly flats and Flip covers with a few fleece pockets, microfiber inserts and BG AIO's and few bamboo inserts.

I do an extra large cold quick rinse with no detergent, an extra long HOT wash with a soak with a half scoop to a whole scoop (depending on how many dipes are in the load) of SUN detergent and 1/2 c of Washing Soda. (Sun detergent is ONLY surfactants and super cheap!) Then another shorter, and smaller load size HOT wash.
Every once in awhile I'll add a 1/2 c of bleach to the actual wash and every once in awhile I'll stop the washer and let them soak all night. (not the covers)

I don't have a hot rinse option and since it's in the basement I never catch in the middle of the cycle.

On a side note, I just went down to start the wash and caught my cat peeing on my washer, good thing the lid was closed, bad thing there were clothes in it and when I opened the lid some of the pee ran back into the washer. Grrrr. So I cleaned that up and ran the clothes again. However a bit later I realized that I'd forgotten to add detergent. Eww! So I ran back down and it was agitating already but the water was nasty! So I'm thinking I need to tweak my main laundry system now. I ended up adding a squirt of Dawn and scoop of Generic oxy clean. Ugh, It's never simple with laundry.

Hey Mama - Sun doesn't have washing soda?

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #102
Ajjones510
Registered Users
seller

Ok, I after reading this (I apologise, I did not have time to go through all 11 pages of responses) I am wondering why I don't just go back to making my own detergent with the washing soda, borax, baking soda combo?

It seems that this is basically what other detergents (country save, rockin green) are making their products out of yet the homemade detergent gets such a bad rap!

Hoenstly, the only reason I stopped using my homemade detergent was I thought it was giving my LO a rash but it turned out to just be the heat. Also, I was thinking it was way harsher than the other detergents out there. If you go by this list though it's pretty much all the same thing anyway, I just mix mine up at home!

right?
Ajjones510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #103
6Swans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
Hey Mama - Sun doesn't have washing soda?
The only ingredient listed on the side is Surfactants. *shrug*
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #104
6Swans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajjones510 View Post
Ok, I after reading this (I apologise, I did not have time to go through all 11 pages of responses) I am wondering why I don't just go back to making my own detergent with the washing soda, borax, baking soda combo?

It seems that this is basically what other detergents (country save, rockin green) are making their products out of yet the homemade detergent gets such a bad rap!

Hoenstly, the only reason I stopped using my homemade detergent was I thought it was giving my LO a rash but it turned out to just be the heat. Also, I was thinking it was way harsher than the other detergents out there. If you go by this list though it's pretty much all the same thing anyway, I just mix mine up at home!

right?
I say go for it but you'll need to add some sort of detergent/soap to it otherwise nothing will get clean. Just brighter. At least I think that's what she said a couple of pages back.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #105
3littlestones
Registered Users

Thank you for taking so much time to clarify all this for us new to cd like me. Great post!
3littlestones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #106
NHBiomom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Amazing

Nevermind, saw the sof****er advice. Just get them clean then regular routine with LOTS OF RINSES!

Thanks, we all needed this therapy!

Last edited by NHBiomom; 08-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.
NHBiomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #107
daisymomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Arm and Hammer for Sensitive Skin that is perfume and dye free for HE and I have a front loader is this okay to use with my diapers or should I be buying a special detergent just for the diapers I am really trying to be frugal so I don' t really want to spend more money on detergent but I received a sample of laundry detergent with the last diapers I ordered so maybe I willl try it.
daisymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #108
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Swans View Post
The only ingredient listed on the side is Surfactants. *shrug*
That's all that most detergents list, since they aren't required to put everything on the package.

Here is a list of Sun's ingredients (scroll down): http://www.sunproductscorp.com/ingredient_sheets.aspx
whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #109
twinmomma+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cheri is just plain AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks!

I love her stuff by the way - which reminds me I need to go shopping!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #110
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairyfarmermama View Post
I used Country Save for a year, but then decided to try something else when I couldn't find it locally and it costed a bazillion to ship it to me from an online store. Loved it, but didn't love the price.

On that note, does anyone know where to get Country Save that is not so spendy? Is there a chain of stores that carries it?

I order it from amazon.com. It ships free and if you sign up for the subscribe & ship option you get a 15% discount. You can cancel at any time with no penalty.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote