Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #1101
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

When you're talking about a "scoop of oxy" or a "scoop of washing soda" what size scoop are we talking? The 1/2 c. scoop that comes with the oxyclean?

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #1102
emeyer76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!! I thought it looked okay, but I haven't done nearly as much research as everyone else in this thread. Thank you for the valuable info!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #1103
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefibeth View Post
When you're talking about a "scoop of oxy" or a "scoop of washing soda" what size scoop are we talking? The 1/2 c. scoop that comes with the oxyclean?
No, about 1 tblspoon.

Man, you would go through the stuff pretty fast if it was 1/2 cup! Yikes! (why is the scoop that big???)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #1104
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
No, about 1 tblspoon.

Man, you would go through the stuff pretty fast if it was 1/2 cup! Yikes! (why is the scoop that big???)
For realz! I was hoping you were going to say 1T. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #1105
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

What do you think about this formula? Its a WAHM that someone recommended.

Sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, natural chelating agent, sodium percarbonate, fragrance (scented version) or essential oils (essential oil version)

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #1106
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen View Post
What do you think about this formula? Its a WAHM that someone recommended.

Sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, natural chelating agent, sodium percarbonate, fragrance (scented version) or essential oils (essential oil version)
Well....it is basically water softeners, oxyclean and fragrance. No detergent in there. You need a detergent, or some surfactant, to really work.

(and this is info for everyone....)

Surfactants work by grabbing the dirt/grease/bio matter and allowing it to be rinsed away by the water.

Water softeners are helping to get the metals and calcium out of the water, so it does not interfere with the cleaning. Some of the softeners also alter the pH so the surfactants work better, and can help to emulsify grease. (make it smaller blobs)

If you do not use a surfactant in your detergent....you are basically WASHING YOUR CLOTHES IN WATER. really. Soft water, with less extra metals and calcium in it, but water none the less. Now, you CAN wash your clothes in plain water....but why? It will not get as clean, period.

Let me say that again folks....without a surfactant in your laundry "detergent", you are washing your clothes in WATER!

If you want to wash your clothes in water, buy some washing soda, and some oxy (generic!), and do it yourselves. You do not have to pay $10 for someone to do this for you.

So OP, this laundry "detergent" is not the best choice. (but it probably smells really good!)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #1107
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!!! I have soft side of regular water anyway so maybe only softeners aren't the best choice for me anyway!
Thanks again, you rule.

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #1108
iafrmgrl77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably redundant, but thank you so much for this thread. I have been following it for a while. Had stink issues while cloth diapering my last one-so much so that I had almost given up the idea of cloth diapering this next one. This thread has encouraged me to try again. THANK YOU!!!

I also teach other mamas how to create a natural medicine cabinet using Young Living Essential Oils: http://www.How-I-EO.com
iafrmgrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #1109
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't read NEARLY all of this thread, but I wanted to say-I recently dyed a BG 4.0 red. In order to dye polyester/synthetics, which BG's are, you have to use a special dye AND use boiling water for an hour. I used a white 2nd to try this on, since I wasn't sure how it would hold up to the boiling. I had no issues though. I've been using it since-elastics are fine, snaps are fine, and the PUL is fine.

I will say I'd be nervous boiling Fuzzi Bunz or my generic pockets though. The PUL on them seems much much thinner and I don't know how well it would hold up to boiling.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #1110
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
I haven't read NEARLY all of this thread, but I wanted to say-I recently dyed a BG 4.0 red. In order to dye polyester/synthetics, which BG's are, you have to use a special dye AND use boiling water for an hour. I used a white 2nd to try this on, since I wasn't sure how it would hold up to the boiling. I had no issues though. I've been using it since-elastics are fine, snaps are fine, and the PUL is fine.

I will say I'd be nervous boiling Fuzzi Bunz or my generic pockets though. The PUL on them seems much much thinner and I don't know how well it would hold up to boiling.

That is interesting.