Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #111
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_mama View Post
I'm still confused what is the 1/4 cup of exactly? Vinegar, bleach or detergent?
vinegar.

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #112
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Swans View Post
I say go for it but you'll need to add some sort of detergent/soap to it otherwise nothing will get clean. Just brighter. At least I think that's what she said a couple of pages back.

Yep! Need some surfactant.....so some soap/detergent. Pick one. Look at the link in the first post, has many to choose from. Just pick on and try.

You can pick any commercial detergent, and cut it with your washing soda/oxy mix and you are good to go.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #113
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymomma View Post
I use Arm and Hammer for Sensitive Skin that is perfume and dye free for HE and I have a front loader is this okay to use with my diapers or should I be buying a special detergent just for the diapers I am really trying to be frugal so I don' t really want to spend more money on detergent but I received a sample of laundry detergent with the last diapers I ordered so maybe I willl try it.
Look at the link in the first post, it tells you which detergents are safe for CD, and which have yucky additives. I am not sure about Arm and Hammer.

BUT.....the bottom line is........if it is working for you DONT CHANGE.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #114
6Swans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyacht View Post
That's all that most detergents list, since they aren't required to put everything on the package.

Here is a list of Sun's ingredients (scroll down): http://www.sunproductscorp.com/ingredient_sheets.aspx
Well that's rather annoying!! Thanks for the link, mama.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #115
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmomma+2 View Post
Cheri is just plain AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks!

I love her stuff by the way - which reminds me I need to go shopping!
Thank you! I just decided it was time to get some answers out here!!! Too much confusion...not enough information! I had been trying to poke into individual threads now and then, but it is alot easier for me to just track my own thread.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #116
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, this is such a great post, however I still am at a loss of what to use. I have been using tide powder. I have a FL here is my curent routine and it is NOT working my DS age 2, wont wear a diaper at night because he wakes up crying when he pees from Ammonia
rinse and spin cold/cold with nothing
normal hot wash cold rinse, Tide to 1 line
gentle cycle war/cold ( because is uses the most water )
another cold/cold rinse and spin.
We live in the country with our own well, we do have a nice working water softener. What would you do in my case? Thank you so very much.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #117
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymae View Post
OK, this is such a great post, however I still am at a loss of what to use. I have been using tide powder. I have a FL here is my curent routine and it is NOT working my DS age 2, wont wear a diaper at night because he wakes up crying when he pees from Ammonia
rinse and spin cold/cold with nothing
normal hot wash cold rinse, Tide to 1 line
gentle cycle war/cold ( because is uses the most water )
another cold/cold rinse and spin.
We live in the country with our own well, we do have a nice working water softener. What would you do in my case? Thank you so very much.
Ok, If you read the posts before you, I suggest hot rinses. I know many Flers dont give you that option, so you have to turn the dial back and run hot washes over and over.

To change your regular routine:

Prewash with Vinegar, on hot.

Soft water needs less detergent, and is hard to rinse. Use Oxyclean.

Your diapers have bacteria in them....that is where the ammonia is coming from now. So....you need to get them clean to start. Changing your routine will not do anything in the long run, until we start with clean diapers.

So, you need to sanitize them. I do this by boiling them.

Big pot, lots of water, boil for 10 minutes. Do this with all your cloth, then wash the full load with a tiny squirt of dawn, on hot. Your diapers should smell when they are boiling (like a barn..kinda horsey maybe) but should smell like nothing when they come out of the washer.

Then, you can try changing your routine, to the suggestions above. You should also look at the detergent suggestions in the link in the original post, perhaps you need a different detergent for your water. Look for one that has all green in the reviews. Remember, you have soft water, so use less detergent, and a WAHM detergent is not going to be your best choice. For soft water, a commercial detergent will probably work better.

Once you have boiled them, they should be clean, and the next night, there should be no ammonia on that diaper.....

Clean or new diapers dont get ammonia.

So, try boiling them, and then altering the washes, and if you still have problems, check back.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #118
March
Registered Users
seller

Can PUL safely be boiled?
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #119
avasmom3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Can PUL safely be boiled?
I have BG Organics and GroBaby inserts.....???
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #120
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some say yes on PUL some say no. The thing about AIO or PUL diapers is that they are usually very thin, with a thick insert, so the part that is holding the bacteria is most likely the insert. So, boil your insert, and bleach your PUL part.

from the Bum Genius website "Use 1/4 cup or 60 mL bleach in the hot wash once per month. "

So, take all your linings apart from the inserts, run the outsides in a HOT wash with a little dawn and bleach on HOT water. Then, boil all the cloth inserts.

The only risk with PUL is that it gets soft when boiling. If you get it stuck to the pot, you could de laminate it abit. I have boiled PUL, but I mostly used fitteds and inserts.

The bacteria is going to be hiding in the absorbent part of the diaper, so the PUL is unlikely to be the culprit in the first place.